View Poll Results: Have White Americans benefitted from Civil Rights era gains?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we've benefitted greatly same as Blacks

    52 85.25%
  • No, I've noticed no significant benefit to me

    1 1.64%
  • No, I still get along nicely with my African-American peers

    7 11.48%
  • No, things have gotten worse for me as a White American since the Civil Rights era

    1 1.64%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 87

Thread: Have White Americans benefited from Civil Rights era gains?

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Have White Americans benefited from Civil Rights era gains?

    The movie, Selma, debuted today and among the masses who gathered at the Edmund Pettis Bridge in Selma, AL were many Blacks and White both young and old just as it was during the actual march so many years ago.

    On this Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, we, of course, hear of the significant gains made by African Americans in Civil Rights legislation and social acceptance. But I was wondering on this day where African-Americans celebrate the essence of "we shall overcome" if White Americans feel the same way? In short, do White Americans feel as if things are significant different for them as well in a positive way since the Civil Rights era? What gains, if any, do White Americans feel they've obtained in a post-Civil Rights era in America?

    I know it's a strange question to ask, but I'm curious to know how White people feel about the changes this country have made since then and how such changes are affecting their lives today.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 01-19-15 at 11:14 AM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  2. #2
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,611
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Have White Americans benefited from Civil Rights era gains?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    The movie, Selma, debuted today and among the masses who gathered at the Edmund Pettis Bridge in Selma, AL were many Blacks and White both young and old just as it was during the actual march so many years ago. On this Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, we, of course, hear of the significant gains made by African Americans in Civil Rights legislation and social acceptance. But I was wondering on this day where Black celebrate the essence of "we shall overcome" if White Americans feel the same way? In short, do White Americans feel as if things are significant different for them as well in a positive way since the Civil Rights era? What gains, if any, do White Americans feel they've obtained in a post-Civil Rights era in America?

    I know it's a strange question to ask, but I'm curious to know how White people feel about the changes this country have made since then and how such changes are affecting their lives today.
    Things are so much better for race relations that all those saying that they are not. Have their heads in the sand. For instance, I am currently dating a black girl. That was frowned upon back then for a white man. I also have many black friends. Couldn't have black friends back then without huge ridicule.
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

  3. #3
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Have White Americans benefited from Civil Rights era gains?

    If you can argue that civil rights gains for blacks (and other minorities) have been squandered by today's self appointed civil rights leaders, then you can argue we all have taken a giant step backwards. We had our opportunity to make real strides in how we relate to one another, unfortunately politics got the upper hand. As a result, we still see division everywhere we look. Mainly because we have too many people out there that have made a career, and even a business model, out of looking for it.

    An option missing from the poll is "It was all squandered for political gain."
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  4. #4
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Have White Americans benefited from Civil Rights era gains?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I know it's a strange question to ask, but I'm curious to know how White people feel about the changes this country have made since then and how such changes are affecting their lives today.
    Having a larger pool of potential buyers has helped the economy and housing prices.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Have White Americans benefited from Civil Rights era gains?

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    If you can argue that civil rights gains for blacks (and other minorities) have been squandered by today's self appointed civil rights leaders, then you can argue we all have taken a giant step backwards. We had our opportunity to make real strides in how we relate to one another, unfortunately politics got the upper hand. As a result, we still see division everywhere we look. Mainly because we have too many people out there that have made a career, and even a business model, out of looking for it.

    An option missing from the poll is "It was all squandered for political gain."
    A fair assessment to a degree. However, what I'm looking for is more of a personal touch from White American posters. To wit, have you experienced gains of any type since the Civil Rights era? If so, explain. If not, do you see things as pretty much the same, not different at all or worse?
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  6. #6
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Have White Americans benefited from Civil Rights era gains?

    It's hard to say if there have been any significant changes for whites, since we have no way of knowing what the reality would be if the civil rights hadn't taken place.
    I'd personally be surprised if there was any significant gain or loss at all. It really wasn't about whites en masse- just about legal rights for minorities. I don't see much of a potential impact in either direction. It's not as if the job market is static and immovable wrt the numbers, and I've never felt like my job chances were any less as a result of the civil rights movement.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #7
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,453

    Re: Have White Americans benefited from Civil Rights era gains?

    Quote Originally Posted by ModerateGOP View Post
    Things are so much better for race relations that all those saying that they are not. Have their heads in the sand. For instance, I am currently dating a black girl. That was frowned upon back then for a white man. I also have many black friends. Couldn't have black friends back then without huge ridicule.
    That's not true. My parents became adults in the late 50's and were friends with people of other races.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,849

    Re: Have White Americans benefited from Civil Rights era gains?

    The USA is better off because of the Civil Rights revolution and we as a people - the American people - owe a great debt to those who struggled and fought for these rights.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Have White Americans benefited from Civil Rights era gains?

    As a bussiness owner I can't say I'm more free because of the civil rights era. In fact, the legislation that came out of it violates my property and assocation rights. If anyone truly believes we are better off because of the civil rights act they're idiots.

  10. #10
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,611
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Have White Americans benefited from Civil Rights era gains?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    As a bussiness owner I can't say I'm more free because of the civil rights era. In fact, the legislation that came out of it violates my property and assocation rights. If anyone truly believes we are better off because of the civil rights act they're idiots.
    You aren't a very good businessman if you want to discriminate against entire portions of the population. Good businesses will try to capitalize on those markets
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •