View Poll Results: Obama proposes tax increase -cuts?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes to his plan

    72 50.00%
  • No to his plan

    3 2.08%
  • Cut Govt spending

    3 2.08%
  • Lower taxes for middle class and lower income

    54 37.50%
  • Leave taxes alone

    12 8.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Obama proposes tax increase -cuts?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Obama proposes tax increase -cuts?

    This idea of Obama's is little more then him trying to look good for the history books.

    The estimate is this tax will generate an extra $32 billion per year. Big deal. It will hardly put a dent in the deficit.

    But people - like on here - will probably support it out of envy and resentment...they resent the rich and want the government to punish them as much as possible.

    That is what this is about...envy and resentment.

  2. #12
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 04:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Obama proposes tax increase -cuts?

    Ideally, capital gains would be taxed at the same rate as regular income.
    Social democrat is no longer an accurate description of my views.

  3. #13
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama proposes tax increase -cuts?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    This idea of Obama's is little more then him trying to look good for the history books.

    The estimate is this tax will generate an extra $32 billion per year. Big deal. It will hardly put a dent in the deficit.

    But people - like on here - will probably support it out of envy and resentment...they resent the rich and want the government to punish them as much as possible.

    That is what this is about...envy and resentment.
    You know, you keep saying that tax changes like these are wrought of envy and resentment. Class warfare.

    Would it bewilder you to know that many of us support taxing wealthier people more, to ease taxes on less wealthy people, because it will help us all to make more money?

    My primary customers are not wealthy people, nor are they poor people....they are the various degrees of wealth in the middle. Lower middle, middle, and upper middle. It seems to me, that if they have more money, they will likely give more of it to me.

    This is good for me. Why is it not good for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Obama proposes tax increase -cuts?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    You know, you keep saying that tax changes like these are wrought of envy and resentment. Class warfare.

    Would it bewilder you to know that many of us support taxing wealthier people more, to ease taxes on less wealthy people, because it will help us all to make more money?

    My primary customers are not wealthy people, nor are they poor people....they are the various degrees of wealth in the middle. Lower middle, middle, and upper middle. It seems to me, that if they have more money, they will likely give more of it to me.

    This is good for me. Why is it not good for you?
    I think everyone should be taxed equally. Period.

    And I believe most non-rich people want to see taxes increased on the rich primarily out of resentment.

    The fact that this tax is so popular in this poll, despite the fact that the revenue it could bring in will be minimal compared to the deficit, proves my theory, IMO.

  5. #15
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Obama proposes tax increase -cuts?

    I would bet money that, regardless of who wins the WH, taxes will go up for the rich, the middle class will see increased income and/or reduced taxes, and the poor will still be poor. The middle class cannot continue subsidizing the poor and the rich at the same time.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  6. #16
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Obama proposes tax increase -cuts?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    Ideally, capital gains would be taxed at the same rate as regular income.
    ideally all income should be taxed the same for all people



  7. #17
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 04:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Obama proposes tax increase -cuts?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    ideally all income should be taxed the same for all people
    Alright, so let's say everyone pays 10% income tax. For someone below the poverty level, this 10% might mean they can't pay for new clothes for their kids. For a millionaire, this means they can't build their 3rd swimming pool. You have to recognize that people with different income levels have radically different lives and implementing a 'one size fits all' income tax would be incredibly nave.
    Social democrat is no longer an accurate description of my views.

  8. #18
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Obama proposes tax increase -cuts?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    Alright, so let's say everyone pays 10% income tax. For someone below the poverty level, this 10% might mean they can't pay for new clothes for their kids. For a millionaire, this means they can't build their 3rd swimming pool. You have to recognize that people with different income levels have radically different lives and implementing a 'one size fits all' income tax would be incredibly nave.
    why are people that poor having children. and your stupid comment about a third swimming pool shows how detached from reality your view is.

    why should everyone who makes more pay more in terms of percentages? your argument against the same rate for everyone is legitimate for a higher rate for everyone who makes the same amount



  9. #19
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 04:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Obama proposes tax increase -cuts?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why are people that poor having children.
    What kind of question is this? Do you not realize that people can be fine financially, and then something like the 2008-2009 financial crisis happens and they lose everything and find themselves in this situation. Talk about 'detached from reality.'

    and your stupid comment about a third swimming pool shows how detached from reality your view is.
    It's just example, albeit somewhat exaggerated, of a luxury. Higher taxes on the rich prevent them from buying luxuries. Higher taxes on the poor prevent them from buying necessities.

    why should everyone who makes more pay more in terms of percentages? your argument against the same rate for everyone is legitimate for a higher rate for everyone who makes the same amount
    Because taxing luxuries is morally superior to taxing necessities.
    Social democrat is no longer an accurate description of my views.

  10. #20
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Obama proposes tax increase -cuts?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    What kind of question is this? Do you not realize that people can be fine financially, and then something like the 2008-2009 financial crisis happens and they lose everything and find themselves in this situation. Talk about 'detached from reality.'



    It's just example, albeit somewhat exaggerated, of a luxury. Higher taxes on the rich prevent them from buying luxuries. Higher taxes on the poor prevent them from buying necessities.



    Because taxing luxuries is morally superior to taxing necessities.
    many people you call rich are going to be pinched with higher taxes. If you are the parent of two high achieving children, you can easily be paying 100K a year for tuition at two Ivy league colleges. So if you make 300K a year you are considered "rich" by the parasites and after taxes and tuition you might only have 50K or so left . Hardly a huge amount of wealth required to buy lots of luxuries

    and what is a luxury? if you are on minimum wage-a television or a cell phone is a luxury

    paying for what you use is the ultimate morality that is superior to your attitude that I have a duty to pay more for those who aren't as industrious or talented



Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •