View Poll Results: How will SCOTUS rule on SSM issue?

Voters
247. You may not vote on this poll
  • They'll rule in favor of SSM, but I'm against it.

    3 1.21%
  • They'll rule in favor of SSM, and I'm in favor of it too.

    151 61.13%
  • They'll rule against SSM, and I'm against it as well.

    26 10.53%
  • They'll rule against SSM, but I support SSM rights.

    16 6.48%
  • They won't actually rule on it. Some loop hole will prevent a true decision.

    38 15.38%
  • They'll wuss out and leave it to each state - which is total BS in my mind.

    20 8.10%
  • They'll leave it to each state, as it should be in my opinion.

    17 6.88%
  • other - please explain

    2 0.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 182

Thread: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

  1. #71
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,203

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if that happens. It would be completely against precedent and frankly insane to argue that the constitution doesn't protect SSM, but there's already precedence that states don't have to give full faith and credit to other states' marriages. However, if SSM is protected everywhere, the latter ruling will have no practical effect.



    This is why laypeople make for lousy arbiters of constitutional law.



    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

    The constitution doesn't have to mention marriage.



    If you think that's true, you are clearly a person who has always been in the comfortable majority and never been discriminated against by your state government, only to be protected by the federal constitution.

    Also, you know, why does the tenth amendment refer to both, then? Clearly, in the amendment you cited, the people and the states are different things. I think you just like state governments better because they will more readily enforce your prejudices and hurt people you don't like.



    9th. See above and also currently my signature. The 9th is a pretty awesome amendment, and it means that "the constitution doesn't say you have a right to _____" is always wrong. No matter what.
    Fact is, the folks who are the current arbiters of the Constitution lack the vision and morality necessary to see the error of their ways.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  2. #72
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    for the record.

    STATES = THE PEOPLE
    The 14th Amendment is how we recognized that this is not true, that many times the states do not represent the people, especially not all of the people so it is important to protect the other people from the tyranny of the states over minorities within those states.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #73
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Fact is, the folks who are the current arbiters of the Constitution lack the vision and morality necessary to see the error of their ways.
    The fact is that you have an outdated view of the Constitution and want it to be used to oppress people rather than its real purpose which was to protect people from the tyranny of government, including the smaller state governments and even local governments if necessary.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #74
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Except they're unaccountable and out of control in general.

    I suspect TX and other states will nullify any ruling on this matter.
    Like they did with Loving or Lawrence? You do realize many have said this before and yet so far very few SCOTUS rulings have ever been really challenged by states, particularly ones like this where people are so sure their state would ignore such a ruling.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,085

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    for the record.

    STATES = THE PEOPLE
    nope just the local government

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,085

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Well...maybe if we are lucky this ruling will finally push Texas over the edge into actually seceding instead of just blabbering about it.
    no secession with representation

    might have an effect on what happens with Puerto Rico though

  7. #77
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,635

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    If marriage is solely a question for the states, then states would be allowed to prohibit interracial marriage. States do not have the power to strip individuals of constitutionally guaranteed rights, equal protection included.
    If that were true then most (if not all) gun control laws would be ruled unconstitutional. If SSM is made universal then how can a male only draft law stand? How can gender based differences in military "fitness" standards pass muster under equal protection?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #78
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Post that 1967 poll please, that shows 85%.
    Most Americans Approve of Interracial Marriages

    Attachment 67179043

    Attachment 67179044

    Attachment 67179045

    It's not 85%. It's 73%. Which is... you know, only slightly better.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #79
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    That's not true. There are intelligent and literate people who notice that the word marriage does not appear within the text of the Constitution and therefore it cannot be a Constitutional right.

    There are also the other kind of people.

    The actual question pertains to equal protection and due process under the law, and that is mentioned in the Constitution and of course rights need not be enumerated in the Constitution to be held by the people.


    If the position is that the word "marriage" isn't mentioned in the Constitution and therefore Civil Marriage law is beyond purview of the SCOTUS, then there are multiple cases where the Court would not have ruled on (Loving v. Virginia, Zablocki v Wisconsin, Turner v Safley, and others...) that marriage laws that violated equal protection and due process. But of course they did.


    Even in Windsor (a case about federal and not state law) the court notes multiple times that while States have great power in terms of domestic relations law (under which Civil Marriage falls), those laws are still subject to "Constitutional guarantees".



    >>>>

  10. #80
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    That's not true. There are intelligent and literate people who notice that the word marriage does not appear within the text of the Constitution and therefore it cannot be a Constitutional right.

    There are also the other kind of people.
    Did you know that "privacy" doesn't appear in the constitution?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •