View Poll Results: How will SCOTUS rule on SSM issue?

Voters
247. You may not vote on this poll
  • They'll rule in favor of SSM, but I'm against it.

    3 1.21%
  • They'll rule in favor of SSM, and I'm in favor of it too.

    151 61.13%
  • They'll rule against SSM, and I'm against it as well.

    26 10.53%
  • They'll rule against SSM, but I support SSM rights.

    16 6.48%
  • They won't actually rule on it. Some loop hole will prevent a true decision.

    38 15.38%
  • They'll wuss out and leave it to each state - which is total BS in my mind.

    20 8.10%
  • They'll leave it to each state, as it should be in my opinion.

    17 6.88%
  • other - please explain

    2 0.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 182

Thread: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

  1. #161
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Not sure, but this requires 2/3rds of the States?? IMHO- Not a chance of that happening.
    Is there a hierarchy in the US Constitution for rights? As they can and do conflict at times?? This is an assumption on my part.
    Hard core will have those running in their Districts putting out a ton of hype on what should be done. Same thing with hard left - They both, hard left/right corrupt the political system.
    I understand the 27th Amendment took the longest to ratify.

    Look at the history of this one.
    Fight to ratify Equal Rights Amendment draws new interest

    Oh, I don't think the amendment would have a chance in hell of winning. Just wondering whether they'd have to support it to win.

  2. #162
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    But I wonder if their hard-core supporters will demand a constitutional amendment? That would still require them to take a stand.
    The base will remain loyal with a little lip service. They always do.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #163
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    That's means the states have to send it to the FedGov 'before' they can withhold it.
    Are you saying they dont? Or wont? Texas doesnt just get back what it puts in. Fed tax dollars dont work that way. Not to mention that just taking it all away now would be crippling. Buh bye to those half finished bridge and highway projects for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #164
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,214

    Re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Are you saying they dont? Or wont? Texas doesnt just get back what it puts in. Fed tax dollars dont work that way. Not to mention that just taking it all away now would be crippling. Buh bye to those half finished bridge and highway projects for example.
    Private firms are building roads here with no fed dollars at all.

    I've seen the numbers...Texas doesn't need the FedGov to survive.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  5. #165
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Private firms are building roads here with no fed dollars at all.

    I've seen the numbers...Texas doesn't need the FedGov to survive.
    LOLOL

    I guarantee you that private construction companies are using federal $$, at least some subsidies, to build state and federal roads. Where do you think the $$ is coming from? LMAO.

    And the state will have to use more of it's own $$ when fed dollars are pulled. Of course schools and the poor and elderly will suffer first...big deal huh?

    All to keep da geighs from marrying? And doing no harm to anyone (yet you propose a plan that does actual harm. Hmmm rational?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #166
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Private firms are building roads here with no fed dollars at all.

    I've seen the numbers...Texas doesn't need the FedGov to survive.
    They're using government money, whether it's state or federal. And if federal money stops flowing to Texas, guaranteed you'll have fewer roads built as the state money goes elsewhere. Oh wait - this is texas. You might build more roads and give up on everything else.

  7. #167
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    LOLOL

    I guarantee you that private construction companies are using federal $$, at least some subsidies, to build state and federal roads. Where do you think the $$ is coming from? LMAO.

    And the state will have to use more of it's own $$ when fed dollars are pulled. Of course schools and the poor and elderly will suffer first...big deal huh?

    All to keep da geighs from marrying? And doing no harm to anyone (yet you propose a plan that does actual harm. Hmmm rational?)
    It is possible, although I don't have any data on the roads in Texas so I'm just making a guess, that private companies are building toll roads, hoping to recoup their costs that way. They tried it in California and for the most part, the plan failed, the companies went out of business and the government had to buy the toll roads, then keep them open charging tolls to get the money they paid back.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #168
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It is possible, although I don't have any data on the roads in Texas so I'm just making a guess, that private companies are building toll roads, hoping to recoup their costs that way. They tried it in California and for the most part, the plan failed, the companies went out of business and the government had to buy the toll roads, then keep them open charging tolls to get the money they paid back.
    I was thinking mostly govt contracts but I did read about at least one toll road in TX where they constantly made small errors overcharging people and were not required by the state to pay that $ back to the individuals. Yet the people had to pay up ever cent for underpaying. Yeah...that's a great program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #169
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I was thinking mostly govt contracts but I did read about at least one toll road in TX where they constantly made small errors overcharging people and were not required by the state to pay that $ back to the individuals. Yet the people had to pay up ever cent for underpaying. Yeah...that's a great program.
    I didn't say it was a good idea, just that it was one way that he might have been correct in his claim. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #170
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Unless laws are passed or the intent of sections of the Constitution are reinterpreted, there is no right to marriage.
    False. The court has upheld numerous times that there is a fundamental right to marriage protected by the Constitution. The Constitution has already been interpreted to include marriage as a fundamental right. This honestly should not be news to you.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •