View Poll Results: How will SCOTUS rule on SSM issue?

Voters
247. You may not vote on this poll
  • They'll rule in favor of SSM, but I'm against it.

    3 1.21%
  • They'll rule in favor of SSM, and I'm in favor of it too.

    151 61.13%
  • They'll rule against SSM, and I'm against it as well.

    26 10.53%
  • They'll rule against SSM, but I support SSM rights.

    16 6.48%
  • They won't actually rule on it. Some loop hole will prevent a true decision.

    38 15.38%
  • They'll wuss out and leave it to each state - which is total BS in my mind.

    20 8.10%
  • They'll leave it to each state, as it should be in my opinion.

    17 6.88%
  • other - please explain

    2 0.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 182

Thread: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

  1. #111
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    If that were true then most (if not all) gun control laws would be ruled unconstitutional. If SSM is made universal then how can a male only draft law stand? How can gender based differences in military "fitness" standards pass muster under equal protection?
    personally, I think the draft SHOULD apply to both genders.

  2. #112
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,691

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    What was wrong with the Hobby Lobby ruling?
    That a "closely held" corporation can have a religion is beyond reason. If you want the legal separation from personal liability that incorporation offers you then you should (must?) also accept personal religious separation.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #113
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,691

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    personally, I think the draft SHOULD apply to both genders.
    Or neither.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #114
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    Oh gawd, if santorum got on the court, not just SSM but also contraception would be banned and we'd be living "the handmaid's tale" (by Atwood) in no time

    Sorry you have such nightmares!
    yeah but it's more like NP's wet dream. I don't actually fear this happening lol

  5. #115
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That a "closely held" corporation can have a religion is beyond reason. If you want the legal separation from personal liability that incorporation offers you then you should (must?) also accept personal religious separation.
    They narrowly tailored it to address contraception benefits only, and made clear it could not be used as an excuse to discriminate in other regards (such as sexuality). If an individual were to offer to pay for others' health care, with exception of contraception, that has always been their choice.

    Although i disagree with the ruling, it's really not the harbinger that so many make it out to be. SCOTUS would turn right around and rule that these "RFRAs" must include 'compelling governmental interest' exception, if they don't one day throw them out altogether.

  6. #116
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    SCOTUS had what it believed were more important things to do.
    They actually considered a SSM case 40 years ago, dismissing it in one sentence. Not to excuse prejudiced judges like scalia or their nomination to begin with, but there's no question personal beliefs are behind many of their civil rights rulings

    Same reason sodomy laws were upheld in 1980s but struck down in 2003

  7. #117
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    That's similar to what they said about prisoners - prisoners have the right to get married, but the prisons can put in the rules around how the marriages happen.

    Of course, once (hopefully) SSM is legal, any rules the states put in around marriage will affect all couples, not just same sex couples, so they will probably be pretty hesitant to change anything. Although those clerks in Florida don't seem to mind inconveniencing straight couples...
    Yeah, that has always been infuriating. Violent criminals can marry because religions demanded it, but churches have always spared no expense or tantrum trying to prevent law abiding same sex couples from marrying.

  8. #118
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    72% of the states in the country have made it legal.

    Including the states with some of the highest populations in the country.

    What's left are the states with the smallest populations per square mile, or the states in the bible belt, and a few oddity states like Ohio and Michigan which really boggles my mind.
    Wouldn't boggle your mind if you lived there. There's been a huge exodus of the educated out of those states as the economy has crumbled, and the past decade has seen tax funds diverted from education to prisons.

    There's also a huge rural population (roughly half) in towns with no diversity and with a church for every 100 people, where no one is openly gay and the subject is still taboo (except to lampoon the 'gay agenda' in liberal cities). This is now part of the bible belt

  9. #119
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,360

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That a "closely held" corporation can have a religion is beyond reason. If you want the legal separation from personal liability that incorporation offers you then you should (must?) also accept personal religious separation.
    Meh. It's a private company. Their religious beliefs should and are being protected. All is well.

  10. #120
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    re: Supreme Court agrees to take on same-sex marriage issue[W:141]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    If that were true then most (if not all) gun control laws would be ruled unconstitutional. If SSM is made universal then how can a male only draft law stand? How can gender based differences in military "fitness" standards pass muster under equal protection?
    Because SCOTUS hasn't gotten around to those yet. There is plain disagreement as to what the founders intended as far as possession of automatic weapons, private vs public property, and concealed weapons, hence different state laws. The 2nd and 14th are separate.

    Fitness standards? Come on, whose rights are being denied?

    There won't be another draft, so that's not worth the court's time. However, if some guy wanted to refuse to register selective service and then was denied college funding, as the FAFSA threatens, that would be an interesting lawsuit that the court might then take up.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •