View Poll Results: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 0.67%
  • No

    149 99.33%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Again, self explanatory.

  2. #2
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Not really self-explanatory. The Voting Rights Act required it of affected states, so are you asking was the law justified or the states that complied with the laws, but then went far beyond in gerrymandering GOP seats by further diluting black votes in the process?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Not really self-explanatory. The Voting Rights Act required it of affected states, so are you asking was the law justified or the states that complied with the laws, but then went far beyond in gerrymandering GOP seats by further diluting black votes in the process?
    No, that's not what I am asking. The question is is the practice of deliberately drawing congressional district lines to favor or disfavor a particular racial group justified racial discrimination. That is the question. Clear?

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Racist through and through. As are race based preferences that the left loves.

  5. #5
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Again, self explanatory.
    No, because there is no such thing as "justified racial discrimination."
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    No, because there is no such thing as "justified racial discrimination."
    I disagree with you. There is indeed a such thing a justified racial discrimination. If you want to discuss it, I have opened a thread on the topic. Having said that, I am not sure if this is an example of it. I just want to see what others think. It may assist me in coming to a conclusion.

  7. #7
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,578

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Not really self-explanatory. The Voting Rights Act required it of affected states, so are you asking was the law justified or the states that complied with the laws, but then went far beyond in gerrymandering GOP seats by further diluting black votes in the process?
    You seem to be confusing intended outcome of discrimination with the process of discrimination. You cannot turn a minority into a majority; you can either concentrate minorities into special districts thus giving them a token representative (still easily ignored) or spread them as thinly as possible hoping to minimize the impact of their vote in that manner.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Racist through and through. As are race based preferences that the left loves.
    Do they really love them, or do they support it just to get black votes, just like some on the right support anti gay policies just to get the votes of the religious right? I was talking to one guy and he said it's just a shell game both sides play.

  9. #9
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I disagree with you. There is indeed a such thing a justified racial discrimination. If you want to discuss it, I have opened a thread on the topic. Having said that, I am not sure if this is an example of it. I just want to see what others think. It may assist me in coming to a conclusion.
    Well, then lets turn the tables a bit (sorry I missed the other thread.) If there is such a thing as "justified racial discrimination" when it comes to congressional redistricting then are we not making an argument for outright segregation of the populace? It seems to me that if we are suggesting that representation should best match the racial make up of a community, then by source the community has to be overwhelmingly one race to ensure pure outcome of that representation under "justified racial discrimination." Or, segregation by race. And if follows, then there is no reason to stop at race but also extend to age, perhaps income level, etc. I mean, why not? Since we are talking about "justified racial discrimination" then why not have "justified ageism discrimination?"
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Do they really love them, or do they support it just to get black votes, just like some on the right support anti gay policies just to get the votes of the religious right? I was talking to one guy and he said it's just a shell game both sides play.
    Does not matter-they support govt imposed racism.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •