View Poll Results: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 0.67%
  • No

    149 99.33%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 55

Thread: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

  1. #31
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,722

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I didn't say it was a necessarily a problem. I just asked was it an instance of justified racial discrimination.
    Not if a black representative is elected to a black district because he beat his competitors.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Not if a black representative is elected to a black district because he beat his competitors.
    The point is this, if you deliberately draw district lines so that a black person will be elected, that is, on the basis of race, giving persons special treatment. Although that is not negative treatment relative to the perspective of blacks, it is nonetheless racial discrimination because that group was given the special treatment on the basis of their race.

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    (I had to go get another cup of coffee for this conversation, and it may get philosophical depending on how many cups I go through this am.)

    I tend to say no, if we are going to stay a constitutional republic then whole idea is to have elected officials govern within the confines of a constitution. And no where in those confines is the idea that to represent a district one has to demographically match the constituents by race, or by age, or by sex, or by income level, etc.
    What about equality under the law?

  4. #34
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    What about equality under the law?
    Do you look at equality as a starting point or ending point? The reason I ask is everyone's vote has equal weight. For instance, I do not see where a black person's vote has less weight just because there are by percentage less of them in the total US population.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    Do you look at equality as a starting point or ending point? The reason I ask is everyone's vote has equal weight. For instance, I do not see where a black person's vote has less weight just because there are by percentage less of them in the total US population.
    I see it as a starting point. And I was just point out that there is something in the constitution that implies congress should attempt to make sure race isnt a factor in elections.

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,919

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    That would likely depend on why that assumption was made. What do you think?
    I think that looking at race is a far too narrow of a characteristic. The greater issue which this is only a small part of it far more crucial - the intentional gerrymandering of most of the House districts with the obvious intent to give that district to one party or the other. That is something which needs to be stopped as much as is humanly possible.

    I worked on the redistricting plan in the Michigan legislature a few years ago and if one follows the rules, one can produce a legislature controlled by either party depending on how the lines are drawn. And everybody participating in this knows darn well how it works.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #37
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    You seem to be confusing intended outcome of discrimination with the process of discrimination. You cannot turn a minority into a majority; you can either concentrate minorities into special districts thus giving them a token representative (still easily ignored) or spread them as thinly as possible hoping to minimize the impact of their vote in that manner.
    Well if we learned to vote as Americans instead of individual races, none of this would be a concern.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #38
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,637

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Well if we learned to vote as Americans instead of individual races, none of this would be a concern.
    That requires actually thinking as a nation of Americans (whatever that has become) rather than deciding to simply choose to follow the party, racial or ethnic herd. As the nation moves (progresses?) further away from having a common mass media inspired base, many more seem to be treating themselves to heavier doses of confirmation bias making that even less likely.

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/163412/am...ource-news.asp
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #39
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Again, self explanatory.
    Ironic that you say self explanatory, because you can district along racial lines so that different races are split up (leading to potentially more minorities being elected), or you can district along racial lines so minorities are diluted (leading to very few elected).

    BTW, neither are justified either.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  10. #40
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Is congressional districting according to race justified racial discrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Again, self explanatory.
    Nope.The only thing that should have anything to with how these districts are drawn is the number of voters and that is it.It should not have anything to do with age,gender, race, political affiliation and so on.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •