View Poll Results: Do you believe in morality?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    56 38.62%
  • No

    89 61.38%
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 191

Thread: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

  1. #61
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncensored2008 View Post
    I put up a statement of morality to define terms.

    Essentially, I view the democrats as unethical. I hold this view because there is no dedication to fact or truth within the party. Lying is not only tolerated, it is encouraged, provided it serves the party. Among the core democrats, right and wrong are only measures of what promotes the party.

    In short, I view the democrats as unethical because the party operates as a sociopathic organization.
    Lying is a top skill of Dems and Repubs alike. Sociopaths? The lot of them! It does no good to just call out one side when the whole system is rotten.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #62
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,423

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Sort of a broad definition. Don't you think?

    What is "right and wrong?" What defines "goodness" or "badness" of human character?

    Personally, I'd consider anyone willing to have an abortion on an elective basis to fail both criteria outright.

    Someone else might think that I fail the test on the basis of my rather hard-nosed stances on issues of foreign policy.
    Yes obviously some morals are subjective. However, humanity pretty much universally considers lying, stealing, and murder to be immoral.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  3. #63
    Educator Uncensored2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    06-02-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    655

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Well all I can say is that only a total hack would agree with you.
    What I have posted is irrefutable fact. Because it works against your party, you claim only a "hack" would agree. This demonstrates my point that democrats hold party above any sort of ethical code or consideration of integrity.

    The same would be true if someone made such a statement about Republicans calling them all liars and a sociopathic organization. It is a statement that only a hack would make.

    I didn't call all democrats are liars.

    There is a core in the party made up of perhaps 10%, who control the platform and direction of the party. This core has chosen to eschew integrity. From open lies about emails, to open lies about "you can keep your doctor" to open lies about Bengahzi, the party has consistently shunned the concepts of ethics.

    I'm not a big fan of the Republicans, but thus far they have not openly purged integrity from the party the way the democrats have.

  4. #64
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Galatians 5:19-21

    Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

    Short list
    Well, there goes my Wednesday night.

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I think many lefties are.
    LOL! Well played, mate. Oh... you were serious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Please review how I voted in the poll. The point I was making is that if morality has no objective basis then it is an entirely worthless and serves no purpose whatsoever.
    I wouldn't say it serves no purpose. It may serve no purpose to you, but to others it's how they live their lives, how they vote, how and why they help others (or don't), etc. Side note, I actually agree with you, I just think subjective morality can subjectively serve a purpose, albeit wrong imo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Out of curiosity, if everyone gets to define right and wrong in their own terms then isn't the whole concept of a definition pretty much a waste of time?
    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Not at all. The question is do you personally believe in a moral code. Not what that moral code is. On some issues such as sexual morality, it is fairly subjective. Others such as honesty, stealing, murder, are not subjective.
    Eh, why are those not subjective?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    A simple reminder that we are all sinners. However only those who repent and seek forgiveness will garner God's good graces.


    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Sort of a broad definition. Don't you think?

    What is "right and wrong?" What defines "goodness" or "badness" of human character?

    Personally, I'd consider anyone willing to have an abortion on an elective basis to fail both criteria outright.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  5. #65
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,423

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncensored2008 View Post
    What I have posted is irrefutable fact. Because it works against your party, you claim only a "hack" would agree. This demonstrates my point that democrats hold party above any sort of ethical code or consideration of integrity.




    I didn't call all democrats are liars.

    There is a core in the party made up of perhaps 10%, who control the platform and direction of the party. This core has chosen to eschew integrity. From open lies about emails, to open lies about "you can keep your doctor" to open lies about Bengahzi, the party has consistently shunned the concepts of ethics.

    I'm not a big fan of the Republicans, but thus far they have not openly purged integrity from the party the way the democrats have.
    Your concept of what constitutes "irrefutable fact" is a bit flawed. What you stated was your opinion. For example, if one stated that Republicans are the party of the rich, then they are making a statement of opinion. They might think it's an "irrefutable fact", but its their opinion.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  6. #66
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,423

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by zgoldsmith23 View Post
    Eh, why are those not subjective?
    I suppose that any human construct is ultimately subjective. However, when I say those morals are not, I really mean that they are pretty much universally accepted as immoral actions regardless of religion, culture, race, or ideology.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  7. #67
    Educator Uncensored2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    06-02-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    655

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Lying is a top skill of Dems and Repubs alike. Sociopaths? The lot of them! It does no good to just call out one side when the whole system is rotten.
    At this point, one side has taken it to an extreme. Purging the party of ethical concerns and the constraints of integrity was a central plank in the platform under Clinton, and has remained the foundation of the party since.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncensored2008 View Post
    At this point, one side has taken it to an extreme. Purging the party of ethical concerns and the constraints of integrity was a central plank in the platform under Clinton, and has remained the foundation of the party since.
    One side has taken it to the extremes, the Republocrats.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by zgoldsmith23 View Post
    If you're willing to kill a human being, let alone a baby, just to save a few bucks and a few hours of your free time - when you almost certainly created that human being because you were too lazy to take the proper precautions necessary to prevent doing so in the first place - you are an objectively terrible human being.

    Sorry, but my stance on that isn't going to change.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Yes obviously some morals are subjective. However, humanity pretty much universally considers lying, stealing, and murder to be immoral.
    Those are a matter of instinct, more than anything else.

    However, "right and wrong" goes beyond that.

    Is a person willing to do the "right thing" even when it is the difficult thing to do? Are they willing to do so when no one is watching?

    That would get more to the heart of "goodness" and "badness," imo.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •