View Poll Results: Do you believe in morality?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    56 38.62%
  • No

    89 61.38%
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 191

Thread: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

  1. #91
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,420

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Since the thread is about morals, I think its immoral to bring up the abortion issue in every flipping debate.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #92
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,420

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Those are a matter of instinct, more than anything else.

    However, "right and wrong" goes beyond that.

    Is a person willing to do the "right thing" even when it is the difficult thing to do? Are they willing to do so when no one is watching?

    That would get more to the heart of "goodness" and "badness," imo.
    That is an issue of conscience though. Most people do the right thing because of their conscience, that is unless they can rationalize it somehow and humans are great at rationalization.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    That is an issue of conscience though. Most people do the right thing because of their conscience, that is unless they can rationalize it somehow and humans are great at rationalization.
    True. However, that kind of goes back to the root of the question I was asking before.

    Is the OP's question really the right one to ask?

    I'm pretty sure that even Hitler and Joseph Stalin had at least some sense of "right and wrong." That doesn't mean it was necessarily correct.

  4. #94
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,427

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncensored2008 View Post
    No, fact is fact. You've not challenged me on fact, you only move to defend your party.

    I doubt you have any care at all that your party systematically embraces deception and dishonesty as policy, provided that those who would expose this fact are silenced.

    We can average the net worth of members of both houses to test whether the "party of the rich" claim is factual. (democrats have about 30% greater wealth.)

    Our Oligarchical Congresscritters Are WAY Richer Than You | PJ Tatler
    How a link to a web page showing that “The median net worth of a member of Congress was $1,029,505 in 2013 “WHICH INCLUDES DEMS AS WELL A REPS is hardly proof of anything but they didn’t take a vow of poverty.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  5. #95
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,420

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    True. However, that kind of goes back to the root of the question I was asking before.

    Is the OP's question really the right one to ask?

    I'm pretty sure that even Hitler and Joseph Stalin had at least some sense of "right and wrong." That doesn't mean it was necessarily correct.
    In the case of Hitler and Stalin they were obviously textbook sociopaths. Granted most sociopaths do not kill people. In fact, the vast majority are not even needlessly cruel to people or animals. However, all sociopaths lack what we think of as a conscience. They act purely on what they perceive as being rational. In the case of Stalin, he had what he saw was a rational goal (modernizing Russia and suppressing dissent). The rational way of him doing that (as he saw it) was through complete control of the masses, brutally suppressing any dissent, and maintaing a forced labor force in the gulags. He was able to do this because he was completely unencumbered by conscience or empathy.

    Dehumanization has came up in this thread. That was kind of the point of my poll. As I pointed out earlier, a few on here have argued that liberals are "moral nihilists" or people that in general are not bound by morality. That type of thinking is a perfect example of dehumanizing those you disagree with as having a sense of right and wrong and a conscience are what define us as human. Those that are not constrained by a sense of morality and conscience we refer to as "inhuman".
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    In the case of Hitler and Stalin they were obviously textbook sociopaths. Granted most sociopaths do not kill people. In fact, the vast majority are not even needlessly cruel to people or animals. However, all sociopaths lack what we think of as a conscience. They act purely on what they perceive as being rational. In the case of Stalin, he had what he saw was a rational goal (modernizing Russia and suppressing dissent). The rational way of him doing that (as he saw it) was through complete control of the masses, brutally suppressing any dissent, and maintaing a forced labor force in the gulags. He was able to do this because he was completely unencumbered by conscience or empathy.

    Dehumanization has came up in this thread. That was kind of the point of my poll. As I pointed out earlier, a few on here have argued that liberals are "moral nihilists" or people that in general are not bound by morality. That type of thinking is a perfect example of dehumanizing those you disagree with as having a sense of right and wrong and a conscience are what define us as human. Those that are not constrained by a sense of morality and conscience we refer to as "inhuman".
    Personally, I'm not sure if I'd classify Hitler as necessarily being "rational."

    I think he was actually rather more "emotion" driven, idealistic, and even romantic. It just happened to be in an incredibly twisted and perverse way, to match his incredibly twisted and perverse personality. Frankly, you could kind of say the same thing about Nazism in general.

    I would agree with you regarding to Stalin, though I think his goals were ultimately just as self-serving and self-aggrandizing as they ever were for the "greater good."

    In any case, however, I'm not really sure if I understand your point in starting this thread to begin with. You're trying to prove that Liberals have morals?

    By and large, I'd agree. I'd also agree that dehumanization is a problem (for both sides of the spectrum).

    Whether Liberal morals are "correct," or not, is obviously open for interpretation, however.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 01-15-15 at 12:00 AM.

  7. #97
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,820

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    W
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Lol @ people on the internet tying the vagaries of morality to a political spectrum.. That's like saying my brand of microwave is better than your brand of microwave. It's silly and childish.

    Mark Sanford reveals he's called off engagement to Argentinian 'soulmate' mistress for whom he divorced wife in scandal that ruined his White House dreams | Daily Mail Online

    Mark Sanford reveals he’s called off engagement to Argentinian ‘soulmate’ mistress for whom he divorced wife in scandal that ruined his White House dreams
    Sanford said in a Facebook post on Friday that he and mistress turned fiancee Maria Belen Chapur had ended their relationship
    The announcement came a week and a half after Sanford's ex-wife suggested her former husband does illegal and prescription drugs
    In the 2,346 Facebook post Sanford claims he has never done drugs and says the accusations made by former spouse are 'crazy'



    You can always tell the idiots in a room by who labels peoples morality by their political affiliations. It's idiocy defined. Can you imagine if you were able to pull up all the sexual doings of the average "Conservative Grand Puba" on this board who tie morality to political conservatism? My god.. You can begin to imagine what I mean. People are hypocrites and delusional when it comes to notions of morality.

    And now the moralist and former Govenor "Windswept Somewhere" Sanford is married to his Argentine lover.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Since the thread is about morals, I think its immoral to bring up the abortion issue in every flipping debate.
    To be fair, I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of it. It just kind of got "knee jerked" into one.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 01-15-15 at 12:09 AM.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    You can laugh, but this is what they do.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #100
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,420

    Re: Do you have a personal concept of right and wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    In any case, however, I'm not really sure if I understand your point in starting this thread to begin with. You're trying to prove that Liberals have morals?

    By and large, I'd agree. I'd also agree that dehumanization is a problem (for both sides of the spectrum).

    Whether Liberal morals are "correct," or not, is obviously open for interpretation, however.
    I am just demonstrating that most people have morals and a conscience. I don't think there is any correlation at all between political ideology (excluding extremists) and personal sense of morality and conscience. By and large, most people are good and decent people regardless of their politics.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •