View Poll Results: Has Saul Alinsky influenced your beliefs?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    0 0%
  • No

    116 99.15%
  • Other

    1 0.85%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 101

Thread: Does the work of Saul Alinksy influence any of your beliefs?

  1. #31
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Does the work of Saul Alinksy influence any of your beliefs?

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Impossible. Your profile says you live in the "deep south". Everyone knows that we ain't nothing but ignorant rednecks.
    Not everyone down here.

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,459
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does the work of Saul Alinksy influence any of your beliefs?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Why not post the 'Rules for Radicals' for comparative purposes?

    Here is the complete list from Alinsky.

    * RULE 1: “Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have.” Power is derived from 2 main sources – money and people. “Have-Nots” must build power from flesh and blood. (These are two things of which there is a plentiful supply. Government and corporations always have a difficult time appealing to people, and usually do so almost exclusively with economic arguments.)

    * RULE 2: “Never go outside the expertise of your people.” It results in confusion, fear and retreat. Feeling secure adds to the backbone of anyone. (Organizations under attack wonder why radicals don’t address the “real” issues. This is why. They avoid things with which they have no knowledge.)

    * RULE 3: “Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.” Look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty. (This happens all the time. Watch how many organizations under attack are blind-sided by seemingly irrelevant arguments that they are then forced to address.)


    snip

    http://www.bestofbeck.com/wp/activis...s-for-radicals
    Sounds like politics in the age of persuasion.

    Your guy luntz' catch phrase is "its not what you say, its what they hear." Bald cognitive manipulation is the product he sells.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  3. #33
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Does the work of Saul Alinksy influence any of your beliefs?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    A few of our posters seem to think that anyone to the left of Ronald Reagan is a acolyte of Saul Alinksy. Has the writings, work, or anything that Saul Alinsky did at any point in his life from his birth to his death influenced your beliefs in any way at all?
    One flaw in the ointment here.

    I don't think many people are aware of the genesis for the causes they have come to believe in, or even the methods used to promote them. We are taught math skills in elementary school, but few remember the mathematicians who discovered the equations.

    If your poll asked whether doing X, Y, and Z, is a good method to continue to bring about social change, your Alinsky connection might be better identified. People may be quite unaware the methods used by some groups and causes were first proposed by the man.

  4. #34
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Does the work of Saul Alinksy influence any of your beliefs?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I suppose the next poll should be: "Do you hold all the same exact views today that you hold in High School or College?"

    I guess some conservatives do, thus its unfathomable to them that anyone else might not.
    you asked who had heard of him, suggesting that he was unimportant, or a bogeyman glenn beck had conjured up. It's worth pointing out that, in fact, many of the leading names on the left did indeed study him and his methodology at some length.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,083

    Re: Does the work of Saul Alinksy influence any of your beliefs?

    I am part of the internet generation. I'd never even heard of the guy before the 2008 election.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #36
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does the work of Saul Alinksy influence any of your beliefs?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    you asked who had heard of him, suggesting that he was unimportant, or a bogeyman glenn beck had conjured up. It's worth pointing out that, in fact, many of the leading names on the left did indeed study him and his methodology at some length.
    It would also be worth noting that many of the leading names of the right did indeed study his methodology at some length. Newt Gingrich springs to mind as some one who not only studied his methods, but expanded on them.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #37
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Does the work of Saul Alinksy influence any of your beliefs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It would also be worth noting that many of the leading names of the right did indeed study his methodology at some length.
    It certainly would. But I think not until recently?

  8. #38
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does the work of Saul Alinksy influence any of your beliefs?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    It certainly would. But I think not until recently?
    I doubt that just recently would be true, but I cannot prove it. Alinsky is notable as some one who was good at organizing. Political wonks study things like that. It would be foolish not to in fact.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #39
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Does the work of Saul Alinksy influence any of your beliefs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I doubt that just recently would be true, but I cannot prove it. Alinsky is notable as some one who was good at organizing. Political wonks study things like that. It would be foolish not to in fact.
    I don't know. I can't think of many examples popping up, like it is possible to list off for those on the left.

  10. #40
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,459
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does the work of Saul Alinksy influence any of your beliefs?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    you asked who had heard of him, suggesting that he was unimportant, or a bogeyman glenn beck had conjured up. It's worth pointing out that, in fact, many of the leading names on the left did indeed study him and his methodology at some length.
    And you know full well his work has been supplanted by 45 years of research in the cognitive neurosciences.

    That the new way of fomenting desired change is to exploit glitches in cognition. To take advantage of how our hardware works to make us feel good or bad about a subject or person based on the desires of the client.

    Allinsky is SO 1970.

    Anyone who wants to get a look at the new face of manipulation is suggest looking up Luntz and Lakoff. Their work is far more relevant to the modern landscape, and a perusal of Lakoff's work will reveal that "allinsky" itself is a cynically used "frame", demonizing the efforts of the left. Summoning negative feelings like a wizard summoning a demon.

    But you know all this l. We've been down this road before. Its part of your field of study.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •