View Poll Results: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    205 74.01%
  • No

    27 9.75%
  • I don't know

    35 12.64%
  • Other

    10 3.61%
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 328

Thread: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

  1. #31
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The older I get, the more I believe prostitution is a cancer on our society. It involves pimping, human trafficking, and, transnational slavery in many of Europe's "success stories" like Germany. If there was a way to guarantee that these illegal activities didn't thrive off prostitution, I'd be all for it. However, as these other illicit activities are required to ensure cheap labor in many countries, I don't support its legalization on a willy nilly basis. In some countries, prostitution may work, however in America's case, some areas of the country have proven they're really good at ignoring slavery and oppression of some individuals by other individuals. So I wouldn't trust any state to create laws which do more than regulate taxation and STD testing on these women.
    Forced prostitution and trafficking usually have nothing in common with legal alternatives. The one does not support the other. Legalized prostitution may not cure or even diminish trafficking, especially the trafficking of children, but it will cure many problems faced by adult prostitutes. A positive change needn't be a panacea to be worth doing. It only need be positive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    We usually agree on a lot of cases. You're simply wrong on this one. In Germany for example, thousands of women are smuggled in yearly because it's cheaper to have houses filled with cheaper pimped out prostitutes from Romania/Bulgaria than it is to hire German girls. I have no doubt that if it was legal, the same would be done in the US - instead it would be illegal immigrant girls being smuggled in like drug mules.
    However, even in Germany, the smuggled and forced prostitution is still illegal. The legal prostitution doesn't create a safe space for criminal activity. Instead, it probably makes it easier to locate and rescue those forced women. In a country where prostitution in general is illegal, they could face criminal charges and would likely face abuse within the criminal system. But if there is no penalty for what they were doing, even if it were consensual, then the law only serves to protect these women from being forced. It no longer matters what they're being forced to do, only that they have been abducted and abused.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  2. #32
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,915

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Smuggling concerns goods, not people. It's human trafficking. If the human trafficking is done to make prostitution cheaper for pimps, then it's really two problems. The first is that they're being trafficked into the country. The second is that they're pimped out.
    You've convinced me with your opinion/discussion/case.

  3. #33
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    yes of course
    theres no logical reason to not have it legal

    legalize it, regulate it and take the taxes and put it into healthcare and education

    of course we could go round and round about what the regulations need to be, id say start here:
    taxed and very frequent health screenings
    need licenses
    need to be 21 to "work"
    must be a legal resident to work or buy
    can be independent worker or part of an org. (Orgs will be regulated like other orgs . . no criminal ties, different rules for local and operating over state lines etc etc)
    workers should have some extra rules placed on them like medical and government workers as far as leaving the country goes to further insure health risks

    that seems like a good start but thats REALLY for another thread
    No, what you REALLY want it is to be very, very illegal, don't you? As of now, there is one 1 misdemeanor charge of prostitution. BUT THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT INSTEAD:

    Criminal Count #1 Underage prostitution being only age 20
    Criminal Count #2 Failure to put your name on the I'm-a-prostitute government registry
    Criminal Count #3 Failure to obtain a health department permit
    Criminal Count #4 Failure to file out the "I'm a prostitute" sales tax form
    Criminal Count #5 Failure to pay the "I'm a prostitute tax
    Criminal Count #6 Prostitution with a non-citizen
    Criminal Count #7 Prostitution with someone age 20, under age 21
    Criminal Count #8 Prostitution being a non US citizen

    What other criminal laws against prostitution do you want? Do you want those to be felonies or misdemeanors?

  4. #34
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Forced prostitution and trafficking usually have nothing in common with legal alternatives. The one does not support the other. Legalized prostitution may not cure or even diminish trafficking, especially the trafficking of children, but it will cure many problems faced by adult prostitutes. A positive change needn't be a panacea to be worth doing. It only need be positive.
    Prostitution and human trafficking have everything to do with one another. Human trafficking provides the product required for prostitution to thrive. That's a simple fact proven already by that shining example of in Europe.

    However, even in Germany, the smuggled and forced prostitution is still illegal.
    Good thing! Imagine if they made legal? It would disappear within a week! Right? Give way to... I don't know... legal human trafficking in a way where the state taxes for every piece of human being you bring in? What was that called when the US did it?

    The legal prostitution doesn't create a safe space for criminal activity.
    See: Links on Germany's failed efforts into prostitution, that statement is proven absolutely false.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #35
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    You've convinced me with your opinion/discussion/case.
    It took me a long time to come to terms with the fact that I'm really not in favor of prostitution. Maybe, I was a few years ago. However, seeing my own daughter grow up, I'd never want her or any other young woman to end up in a position where traffickers could simply bring her to another country and bribe police officers like they do in Germany. Can you imagine the NYPD/LAPD being in charge of dealing with legal/illegal prostitution? With their abysmal track records of corruption? **** that, nonsense.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #36
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    What percentage of prostitutes do you think would actually fill out an "I'm a prostitute" government form down at City Hall or the police stations?

    So instead of being just arrested for prostitution, added is also prostitution without a license. Thus, prostitution wasn't legalized at all, just more criminal laws against it.

  7. #37
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    No, what you REALLY want it is to be very, very illegal, don't you? As of now, there is one 1 misdemeanor charge of prostitution. BUT THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT INSTEAD:

    Criminal Count #1 Underage prostitution being only age 20
    Criminal Count #2 Failure to put your name on the I'm-a-prostitute government registry
    Criminal Count #3 Failure to obtain a health department permit
    Criminal Count #4 Failure to file out the "I'm a prostitute" sales tax form
    Criminal Count #5 Failure to pay the "I'm a prostitute tax
    Criminal Count #6 Prostitution with a non-citizen
    Criminal Count #7 Prostitution with someone age 20, under age 21
    Criminal Count #8 Prostitution being a non US citizen

    What other criminal laws against prostitution do you want? Do you want those to be felonies or misdemeanors?
    100% false what i "really" want is just what i said i want it legal and that FACT wont change LMAO
    if you disagree please provide ONE fact that supports you that i dont want it legal

    please chalk this up to one of your all-time dishonest and mentally inane strawman "posts"
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #38
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Most messages on this thread are naïve. Most prostitutes are drug addicts doing $10 to $20 BJs or doing so to be paid in drugs. Pass all the regulations you want - and the mean nothing other than more charges to file against them. Professional high dollar prostitutes are very, very rare - and even they aren't going to put into government record they're a prostitute.

    Also what constitutes prostitution versus escort service with out a promise of sex, but it will happen of course, means more jailing of poor people and those with money aren't.

  9. #39
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    100% false what i "really" want is just what i said i want it legal and that FACT wont change LMAO
    if you disagree please provide ONE fact that supports you that i dont want it legal

    please chalk this up to one of your all-time dishonest and mentally inane strawman "posts"
    If you can't read your own messages that's your problem. The mental insanity is stating all the rules and requirement you want added - and then turn around a rage you don't.

    READ YOUR OWN MESSAGE. I quoted it. The laws you want passes as requirements. My list is based on YOUR message. Or are you going to go into repetitious denial of what you posted yourself?

  10. #40
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    1.)If you can't read your own messages that's your problem. The mental insanity is stating all the rules and requirement you want added - and then turn around a rage you don't.

    READ YOUR OWN MESSAGE. I quoted it. The laws you want passes as requirements. My list is based on YOUR message. Or are you going to go into repetitious denial of what you posted yourself?
    translation: you cant provide ONE fact that shows i want it illegal
    if you disagree please present ONE single fact that supports your failed and destroyed claim that i want it illegal . . . one

    thanks for playing
    your post fails and facts win again
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •