View Poll Results: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    205 74.01%
  • No

    27 9.75%
  • I don't know

    35 12.64%
  • Other

    10 3.61%
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 328

Thread: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

  1. #301
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,998

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    They would be removed from the database/lose their 'prostitution license' in that case

    I think it's a safe bet that in reputable medical offices, such as hospitals, specialists, and primary care, there are far fewer 'rogue professionals' than there are prostitutes who could be avoided under the proposed system due to having stds. No system is immune to fraud, but the point is to *minimize* it
    Agreed it would be more of the individual practices that historically have this problem. Granted it's harder and harder as information technology advances to be able to pull it off, but people keep trying, even to the point of practicing black market medicine.

    And stds aren't simply a matter of 'informed consent' but a public health issue. Therefore it's appropriate to keep that form of prostitution illegal
    That's not a form of prostitution. There is no such creature as STD prostitution. But I get your point. Yet this same individual can now go out and infect others even if they do not get paid. So do we keep them on the registry or not? How much of a safety vs. privacy issue is it?
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  2. #302
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,998

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    If you REALLY don't understand how prostitution works, then yes "corruption" is another matter. However, if you do understand it, you realize all of these problems are part of the same issue. Again, if you're going to be discussing how to help women don't start off with nonsensical ideological crap like legalization will help them get paid. The reality is that there are literally tens of thousands of women in the US who are kept subjugated by men through violence. Making prostitution legal won't make these women ask for better wages and dental plans. That's simply not how it works. As a matter of fact, it will drive forced prostitution even further underground and women will be more closely monitored. Again, this isn't something you fix with ideological slogans because there it's far more complex than that.
    Bring up your support, and don't forget to differentiate between those who are in simple domestic violence and those who are specifically hold for prostitution.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  3. #303
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Do your studies show where legalization caused such situations, or are these simply situations that still exist after legalization? Has the situation improved any, even slightly or are even more people being held against their will after legalization? Links to these studies?
    I don't know, ask the prostitutes:

    Human Trafficking Persists Despite Legality of Prostitution in Germany - SPIEGEL ONLINE

    Alina says that she and the other women were required to pay the pimps €800 a week. She shared a bed in a sleeping room with three other women. There was no other furniture. All she saw of Germany was the Esso gas station around the corner, where she was allowed to go to buy cigarettes and snacks, but only in the company of a guard. The rest of the time, says Alina, she was kept locked up in the club.
    She says that she was hardly ever beaten, nor were the other women. "They said that they knew enough people in Romania who knew where our families lived. That was enough," says Alina. When she occasionally called her mother on her mobile phone, she would lie and tell her how nice it was in Germany. A pimp once paid Alina €600, and she managed to send the money to her family.
    Hardly a single court had heard a case involving a prostitute suing for her wages. Only 1 percent of the women surveyed said that they had signed an employment contract as a prostitute. The fact that the Ver.di union had developed a "sample employment contract in the field of sexual services" didn't change matters. In a poll conducted by Ver.di, a brothel operator said that she valued the prostitution law because it reduced the likelihood of raids. In fact, she said, the law was more advantageous for brothel operators than prostitutes.
    Don't try this ideological bs. The reality is that legalizing prostitution legitimizes pimping and puts women at risk. Not the opposite.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #304
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Bring up your support, and don't forget to differentiate between those who are in simple domestic violence and those who are specifically hold for prostitution.
    Forced prostitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    In 2002, the US Department of State repeated an earlier CIA estimate that each year, about 50,000 women and children are brought against their will to the United States for sexual exploitation.[38][39] Former Secretary of State Colin Powell said that "[h]ere and abroad, the victims of trafficking toil under inhuman conditions -- in brothels, sweatshops, fields and even in private homes."[40] In addition to internationally trafficked victims, American citizens are also forced into prostitution. According to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, "100,000 to 293,000 children are in danger of becoming sexual commodities."[41]
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #305
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I didn't know I was talking about Germany.
    Germany has been used in this thread over and over again as a case study on how prostitution ends up after it is legalized. We're definitely not talking about marriage.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #306
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Germany has been used in this thread over and over again as a case study on how prostitution ends up after it is legalized. We're definitely not talking about marriage.
    I didn't mention Germany once, so why would you think I was talking about Germany because other people were?

    I didn't say we were talking about marriage. I was following your lead when you talked about women being beaten and held against their will. Women are beaten and held against their will even when they aren't prostitutes. What does that have to do with legalizing prostitution?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #307
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I didn't mention Germany once
    Irrelevant, the thread is about prostitution and Germany has been used to illustrate examples of just why legalizing it fails. Now, do you have anything to add in regards to prostitution or not? Or do you want to derail it with your ridiculous equivalency of conditions surrounding prostitution and marriage?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #308
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Irrelevant, the thread is about prostitution and Germany has been used to illustrate examples of just why legalizing it fails. Now, do you have anything to add in regards to prostitution or not? Or do you want to derail it with your ridiculous equivalency of conditions surrounding prostitution and marriage?
    So I can't have a valid opinion on the concept of legalizing prostitution because of Germany. Interesting. Irrelevant to me, but if it's meaningful to you, then that's good for you.

    Yes, I have something to add. Same thing I said earlier. Prostitution should be legal for anyone of legal age, and it should be regulated and taxed, too.

    Why do you keep mentioning marriage?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #309
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So I can't have a valid opinion
    You can't have a valid opinion because your arguments fail. Women are being trafficking across borders, beaten into submission and then beaten into becoming prostitutes. That fact has remained constant whether prostitution is legal or illegal. If the case is that legalizing it will protect women from such abuses, then it fails as illegal trafficking has simply been driven deeper underground and women are seen as even bigger commodities than before. So then what reason is there for legalizing? Taxation? As if the local gangs/pimps in the US bringing in $33K a week will simply start filing taxes once prostitution is legal. Again, if your arguments were based on something valid, they'd be acceptable. However, the reality is that prostitution brings far more oversight than traffickers are willing to put up with and they'll simply go deeper underground. This has already been demonstrated to happen.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #310
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    That's not a form of prostitution. There is no such creature as STD prostitution. But I get your point. Yet this same individual can now go out and infect others even if they do not get paid. So do we keep them on the registry or not? How much of a safety vs. privacy issue is it?
    It would be voluntary, so not a privacy issue. Unlike a lot of right wingers, my concern is out of safety and moral grandstanding. If they want a 'license' to prostitute, they'd have to prove std free. If they couldn't prove that, their choices would be another line or work, fewer customers, or prison if caught.

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •