View Poll Results: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    205 74.01%
  • No

    27 9.75%
  • I don't know

    35 12.64%
  • Other

    10 3.61%
Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 328

Thread: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

  1. #241
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Yeah, even if they was successful the first time.
    :

    Where you been, luv? Missed ya! Did you have a fun birthday getaway?

  2. #242
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    03-17-15 @ 10:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    714

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryOfromCA View Post
    How interesting, that probably the same people who perpetuate the lie that Republicans wage a war on women would see women in a "profession" where they sell their bodies to men for money. Oh, the hypocrisy.
    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Which is different how than marrying for money or support?. . . . . .
    I wouldn't marry a woman like that either, so maybe not much.

    That doesn't say much for women you know. We have prostitutes, and then you add women who marry for money, what we used to call a "gold digger". Where's the nice women who fall in love and get married? I want to think they are still out there somewhere.

  3. #243
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,050

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryOfromCA View Post
    I wouldn't marry a woman like that either, so maybe not much.

    That doesn't say much for women you know. We have prostitutes, and then you add women who marry for money, what we used to call a "gold digger". Where's the nice women who fall in love and get married? I want to think they are still out there somewhere.
    Men marry for money and/or support sometimes too. However, since the norm used to be women got married to men to be taken care of, that sets a distinct difference between men and women from the beginning. And marriage has only very recently been about love. In the past, it was mainly about creating political or economic unions or finding a good match to carry on the family line. Love and even attraction was the last thing on most people's minds until about the last century or so.

    Now, many people do marry for love. However, that doesn't change the fact that not everyone does. Nor does it change the fact that there are other considerations besides love in who you marry even when love is present. In fact it is mainly conservatives who believe that women should be in the house, taking care of the children, rather than working. Plus, it would be mainly conservatives that believe that people should stay together in marriage even if a mistake was made or love died out in the marriage.

    But one thing that I will say, marriage is about much more than sex, unlike prostitution, which is pretty much just about sex. The difference here is that I recognize that there are many ways to sell sex, including in a loveless marriage where the people are only interested in making babies without regard at all to actual love or attraction. In fact, it is conservatives that try to use that argument against same sex couples, that marriage is for procreation. Where exactly would you say the "love" is in that particular argument? Sounds like a marriage rooted in sex to me.

    Plus, what about men who are prostitutes? Or do you not believe men could be prostitutes? What about men who simply sleep with many, many women? Plenty of those guys out there. What about men who expect their wives to have sex with them because they are married to them, whenever the man wants it? In many places in the US, it wasn't considered rape for a husband to force a wife to have sex with him because the marriage was considered a de factor permission slip to have sex with your spouse, whether they really wanted to or not.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #244
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,657

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    it was more than mistake ,lets agree prostitution shouldnt be a legalized activity


    Oh, on that I am in perfect accord!

    I shudder to think of the service personnel for this department in WalMart...
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  5. #245
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,958
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    :

    Where you been, luv? Missed ya! Did you have a fun birthday getaway?
    Yeah, spent the birthday with the kids and grand kids. I have been working on the sci-fi anthology in between other things that have been going on. I have decided on four novellas, three are ready, one more to go.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  6. #246
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Yeah, spent the birthday with the kids and grand kids. I have been working on the sci-fi anthology in between other things that have been going on. I have decided on four novellas, three are ready, one more to go.
    I've been traveling some since the year began. Glad to be home! Are you subjected to re-writes, or do they accept them as you have written them?

  7. #247
    Educator idea_steed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    10-08-16 @ 01:06 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    932

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Which is different how than marrying for money or support? Plus, pretty sure most of those who support legalization support it for both sexes, not just women. This is selling a service, sex, not your body. The major problem is this view that selling sexual services somehow diminishes you as a human being. It doesn't and shouldn't. It's just a service so long as all parties are agreeing to the acts.
    Slaves sell service. Why do we ban slavery? Because it is cruel? Not necessarily. Some slaves dont get abused as we may assume. Banning it because it is a violation of freedom.
    Yes, prostitution is also selling service. At first blush ,it's a celebration of freedom. But, again, freedom isn't that you can do anything, just like we cannot pummel people we resent. The core issue is not about the morality but its impact on the society. If most men resort to prostitution then they probably dont get married or raise children. Then the family value dies. Then human species goes extinct. Oh wait, before that happens, the government will fund those who are willing to get married and give birth to children, and even build care centers to raise children whose mothers are volunteers. But is that sth you would like to see? The next generation being raised just like the livingstocks?
    prostitution is not just a service which people can freely sell. It's complex.
    Passion and Patience

  8. #248
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,050

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by idea_steed View Post
    Slaves sell service. Why do we ban slavery? Because it is cruel? Not necessarily. Some slaves dont get abused as we may assume. Banning it because it is a violation of freedom.
    Yes, prostitution is also selling service. At first blush ,it's a celebration of freedom. But, again, freedom isn't that you can do anything, just like we cannot pummel people we resent. The core issue is not about the morality but its impact on the society. If most men resort to prostitution then they probably dont get married or raise children. Then the family value dies. Then human species goes extinct. Oh wait, before that happens, the government will fund those who are willing to get married and give birth to children, and even build care centers to raise children whose mothers are volunteers. But is that sth you would like to see? The next generation being raised just like the livingstocks?
    prostitution is not just a service which people can freely sell. It's complex.
    Wrong. Slaves are not selling their services. The slave holds no power in the relationship and in fact rarely has even a say in the existence of the relationship.

    It is illogical to assume that a good portion of men would choose prostitutes over relationships, let alone most men. Prostitution has been legal and acceptable in many societies and never replaced marriage, having spouses, raising children as the preferred relationships. Prostitution is for extra, side, either when the guys aren't in a relationship or when they are away and there is an agreement that sex is needed (which some spouses have, and was actually quite common in the past).

    You are expressing illogical, irrational fears.
    Last edited by roguenuke; 01-19-15 at 08:28 PM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #249
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,958
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    I've been traveling some since the year began. Glad to be home! Are you subjected to re-writes, or do they accept them as you have written them?
    Amazon has just placed them on Kindle. The 3 westerns I wrote I think they left them alone. Once I submit them I turn everything over to them. I get my royalties and retain the copyright. If Amazon wants to turn them into paper or something else, they have that right. I am just an amateur who does this as a hobby or for fun.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #250
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Amazon has just placed them on Kindle. The 3 westerns I wrote I think they left them alone. Once I submit them I turn everything over to them. I get my royalties and retain the copyright. If Amazon wants to turn them into paper or something else, they have that right. I am just an amateur who does this as a hobby or for fun.
    If I recall correctly, you were considering at one time writing about your years in the service but didn't know if you could get permission writing it as a true story. Have you followed up on that, or could you write it as just a book - not giving specifics, etc? I think people would be interested in something like that because of where you were, more than anything else. It's a culture that is not much written about.

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •