View Poll Results: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    205 74.01%
  • No

    27 9.75%
  • I don't know

    35 12.64%
  • Other

    10 3.61%
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 328

Thread: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

  1. #221
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,075

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Why do you assume the prostitutes will all be women?
    I do not assume all prostitutes will be women.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #222
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,959
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    I do support legal prostitution. If those who state a woman's body is her own and she can do with it as she pleases, abortion comes to mind. Those who support the right to choose also should support legal prostitution for the same reasons.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  3. #223
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,088

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I do support legal prostitution. If those who state a woman's body is her own and she can do with it as she pleases, abortion comes to mind. Those who support the right to choose also should support legal prostitution for the same reasons.
    prostitution is an industry that hurts human's honor and harms society in every aspect .it is not a personal issue
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  4. #224
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,178

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    In a realistic sense, how does this work to supposedly solve the problems that we have now?
    The point is to minimize trafficking.

    It's an economic argument. There's a certain number of men willing to buy prostitutes. And there is a certain number of women willing to sell sex. If the demand exceeds supply, sex traffickers stand to make money by filling in the gap by forcing women to prostitute.

    When you straight up legalize prostitution, the number of men willing to buy prostitutes, the demand, increases (because there's no more risk of ending up in jail). And the number of women willing to prostitute, the supply, increases (because there's no more risk of ending up in jail). However, if the increase in demand is larger than the increase in supply, that can create an even larger gap for sex traffickers to fill with forced prostitution. So, legalization can actually cause more sex trafficking, not less.

    And, empirically, that's what the data has shown. A number of European countries, most notably Germany, have recently legalized prostitution and found that it hasn't helped with issues like sex trafficking, abuse, etc.

    So the theory is this. Maximize the number of willing prostitutes (the supply) by making it legal to sell and minimize the number of John's willing to buy (the demand) by criminalizing purchasing. This will ensure the smallest gap between (voluntary) supply and demand, which leaves the smallest window for sex traffickers to profit.

    Sweden has implemented this counter-intuitive strategy and has had some promising results.

  5. #225
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    The point is to minimize trafficking.

    It's an economic argument. There's a certain number of men willing to buy prostitutes. And there is a certain number of women willing to sell sex. If the demand exceeds supply, sex traffickers stand to make money by filling in the gap by forcing women to prostitute.

    When you straight up legalize prostitution, the number of men willing to buy prostitutes, the demand, increases (because there's no more risk of ending up in jail). And the number of women willing to prostitute, the supply, increases (because there's no more risk of ending up in jail). However, if the increase in demand is larger than the increase in supply, that can create an even larger gap for sex traffickers to fill with forced prostitution. So, legalization can actually cause more sex trafficking, not less.

    And, empirically, that's what the data has shown. A number of European countries, most notably Germany, have recently legalized prostitution and found that it hasn't helped with issues like sex trafficking, abuse, etc.

    So the theory is this. Maximize the number of willing prostitutes (the supply) by making it legal to sell and minimize the number of John's willing to buy (the demand) by criminalizing purchasing. This will ensure the smallest gap between (voluntary) supply and demand, which leaves the smallest window for sex traffickers to profit.

    Sweden has implemented this counter-intuitive strategy and has had some promising results.
    A reasoned argument, but I just find it disingenuous. Then again, I don't find the concept of prostitution to be "bad" to begin with, and I go back to the "you can legally give it away for free..." aspect. If you can legally give it away, then you (lawmakers) are admitting it's not "bad". IMO it's the criminal status that enhances the bad element.

    No matter what is done, there will always be some issues. There will always be some level of trafficking. Primarily for the lowest end involving drug addicts (though I think that would be greatly lessened), and underage kids. Whether we go 0% and keep it illegal, 50% decriminalization, or 100% fully legal, there is no panacea.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #226
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,178

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    A reasoned argument, but I just find it disingenuous. Then again, I don't find the concept of prostitution to be "bad" to begin with, and I go back to the "you can legally give it away for free..." aspect. If you can legally give it away, then you (lawmakers) are admitting it's not "bad". IMO it's the criminal status that enhances the bad element.

    No matter what is done, there will always be some issues. There will always be some level of trafficking. Primarily for the lowest end involving drug addicts (though I think that would be greatly lessened), and underage kids. Whether we go 0% and keep it illegal, 50% decriminalization, or 100% fully legal, there is no panacea.
    Suit yourself. Quite simply I would rather have fewer girls forced into sexual slavery. If that means curtailing the freedom to buy sex, so be it.

  7. #227
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    Suit yourself. Quite simply I would rather have fewer girls forced into sexual slavery. If that means curtailing the freedom to buy sex, so be it.
    As do I. I believe legalization would accomplish the same thing without the needless other crap that goes along with it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #228
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,178

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    As do I. I believe legalization would accomplish the same thing without the needless other crap that goes along with it.
    Why? You never offered an argument against the point I made. You just basically said "well, we can't fix everything...".

  9. #229
    Educator foadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Bangkok/Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    917

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Promising results in Sweden? Newsflash: trafficking had increased in Sweden just as much as it has increased in Germany.

  10. #230
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,959
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Do you support the legalization of prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    prostitution is an industry that hurts human's honor and harms society in every aspect .it is not a personal issue
    I simply think it is up to the woman involved. Guy for that matter. If their body belongs to them, then each individual can decide what to do with their own body. Pretty simple.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •