View Poll Results: Is the following statement racist?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    42 61.76%
  • NO

    20 29.41%
  • OTHER

    6 8.82%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 59

Thread: Is the following statement racist?

  1. #41
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,125
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Attachment 67178919
    You can tell by his lilly white skin that he's a good guy.

    Attachment 67178920
    He's got light enough skin to be a babysitter.
    Well color me shocked!

    I just looked up those 2 guys and they weren't Muslim terrorist at all... One of them was a serial killer, not a "terrorist" and neither one of them was even Muslim.

    You're obviously the victim of false information.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    No answers from you... no answers from me.

    Debate is a 2 way street, and not meant for people who's beliefs can't hold up to simple questions.
    You don't get it, do you? Not wanting to dignify why associating skin color with whether someone is a bad guy, is the answer. The only possible answer is that it is in fact racist.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #43
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,044
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    I hadn't realized that those guys were Muslim terrorists?

    Learn something new every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Well color me shocked!


    I just looked up those 2 guys and they weren't Muslim terrorist at all... One of them was a serial killer, not a "terrorist" and neither one of them was even Muslim.


    You're obviously the victim of false information.
    Ah ok, so the goalpost has moved. But that's ok since muslim terrorists come in all kinds of colors...

    Is the following statement racist?-suspect-brothers-jpg
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  4. #44
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,125
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Ah ok, so the goalpost has moved. But that's ok since muslim terrorists come in all kinds of colors...

    Is the following statement racist?-suspect-brothers-jpg
    1. When did the goalpost move? The phrase "bad guys" in that quote was a direct reference to Muslim terrorists... More specifically, the 2 Muslim terrorists responsible for the murders last week in France.

    2. Nobody is claiming that all Muslim terrorists are of Arab descent, or all Muslims of Arab descent are terrorists. The comment was based on the physical description of the typical Muslim terrorist, most of which are overwhelmingly of Arab descent and have different physical features than most people of European descent, including a different tone of skin.


    This notion that she was not specifically talking about Muslim terrorists, or that she was proclaiming all Muslim terrorist to be of Arab descent, is just ridiculous. Doing so is far worse than "moving the goalpost", it's a flat out untruth.

  5. #45
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,137

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    1. When did the goalpost move? The phrase "bad guys" in that quote was a direct reference to Muslim terrorists... More specifically, the 2 Muslim terrorists responsible for the murders last week in France.

    2. Nobody is claiming that all Muslim terrorists are of Arab descent, or all Muslims of Arab descent are terrorists. The comment was based on the physical description of the typical Muslim terrorist, most of which are overwhelmingly of Arab descent and have different physical features than most people of European descent, including a different tone of skin.


    This notion that she was not specifically talking about Muslim terrorists, or that she was proclaiming all Muslim terrorist to be of Arab descent, is just ridiculous. Doing so is far worse than "moving the goalpost", it's a flat out untruth.
    As far as I've heard the terrorists in France weren't of Arab descent either, they were of African lineage. To think that someone "looks like a terrorist" because they're of Arab descent is still pretty dang racist.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #46
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,125
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    As far as I've heard the terrorists in France weren't of Arab descent either, they were of African lineage. To think that someone "looks like a terrorist" because they're of Arab descent is still pretty dang racist.
    Again, that is irrelevant. It doesn't change the fact that the overwhelming majority of Muslim Terrorists are of Arab descent.

    Did you watch the clip of that discussion? If so, how come you don't seem to know what she was specifically talking about, the statement that she was responding to and the point that she was making?

  7. #47
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    "That's my question about these guys. If we know they were speaking unaccented French and they had ski masks on, do we even know what color they were, what the tone of their skin was? I mean, what if they didn't look like typical bad guys? As we define them when we think about terror groups."
    Disclaimer: The OP's statement is not in context, so I hope I am interpreting it correctly. If not, oh well.

    I don't see the statement as racist, per se, but I do see the issue a matter of practical reality.

    Not factoring in race/skin color is stupidly naive. If you're searching for a specific person for a crime you want to make the apprehension of said suspect as quick and efficient as possible. That means knowing individual known characteristics and weeding out irrelevant characteristics. If a person is X color, they're X color. Suck it up and say so. Don't waste everyone's time looking for Y color.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #48
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,044
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Disclaimer: The OP's statement is not in context, so I hope I am interpreting it correctly. If not, oh well.

    I don't see the statement as racist, per se, but I do see the issue a matter of practical reality.

    Not factoring in race/skin color is stupidly naive. If you're searching for a specific person for a crime you want to make the apprehension of said suspect as quick and efficient as possible. That means knowing individual known characteristics and weeding out irrelevant characteristics. If a person is X color, they're X color. Suck it up and say so. Don't waste everyone's time looking for Y color.
    But the woman wasn't talking about that. Since the criminals were wearing masks etc, their skin tone wasn't relevant. She needs to know the tone of someone's skin to know if they're "bad guys".
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  9. #49
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,137

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Again, that is irrelevant. It doesn't change the fact that the overwhelming majority of Muslim Terrorists are of Arab descent.

    Did you watch the clip of that discussion? If so, how come you don't seem to know what she was specifically talking about, the statement that she was responding to and the point that she was making?
    The question is if a particular statement is racist. As relayed in the OP, it is. And what do you think she meant by "As we define them when we think about terror groups?" What do "typical bad guys" look like when defined in that context?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #50
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,125
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    The question is if a particular statement is racist. As relayed in the OP, it is. And what do you think she meant by "As we define them when we think about terror groups?" What do "typical bad guys" look like when defined in that context?
    I realize that this might be considered a high crime against the laws of political correctness, but the typical Muslim terrorist who is a member of a terrorist group (the "bad guys" she was referring to), is typically a male of Arab descent under 30 years of age, and as you know men of Arab descent generally have distinct physical features that differ from those of typical men of European descent, including the tone of their skin.

    Maybe you didn't realize it, but her statement was made in disagreement with some others on the panel who believe that a stronger, more well armed police presence on the ground might be able to prevent a future Muslim terrorist attack from happening. Her point was, that even if police had been on the ground in France the day of the attack, those guys spoke perfect French (no Arab accent) and their faces were covered, so they wouldn't have know whether or not they were of Arab descent, therefore wouldn't have been seen by them as possible Muslim terrorists because they didn't even fit the profile of the typical Muslim terrorist. aka "Some times bad guys (Muslim terrorists) don't look like bad guys" as Kennedy said prior to her statement.

    Like I've said, her statement was worded poorly and definitely racially insensitive, but it was not racist. There was no hatred, intolerance or prejudice involved.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •