View Poll Results: Is the following statement racist?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    42 61.76%
  • NO

    20 29.41%
  • OTHER

    6 8.82%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59

Thread: Is the following statement racist?

  1. #11
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,039

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Well, the statement associates skin color, with being "bad". How anyone can say that isn't racist is beyond me but, I'm sure we'll see some people do just that in a few posts.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #12
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Can't see the racism in this.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

  3. #13
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,136
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Is the following statement racist?-racism_rules-jpg

    a) No

    b) No

    c) No

    d) She was talking about the Muslim terrorists (the "bad guys") from the attack in France and as we all know, the overwhelmingly majority of Muslim terrorists in world are of middle eastern descent. So the answer is No.

    e) No
    Last edited by Grim17; 01-14-15 at 01:26 AM.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,039

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    d) She was talking about the Muslim terrorists (the "bad guys") from the attack in France and as we all know, the overwhelmingly majority of Muslims terrorists in world are of middle eastern descent. So the answer is No.
    Interesting claim. Just for reference, I'm going to name a few countries. Can you tell us whether they're in the Middle East or not?

    Afghanistan
    Pakistan
    Nigeria
    Somalia
    India
    Philippines
    Thailand

    Here, I'll make it easy for you:

    List of Middle East countries by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Next, can you add these numbers? 17.3, 13.1, 10.2, 2.3, 2.2, 1.6, 1.1

    Finally, can you tell the thread what you mean by overwhelming majority? Percentage wise. Is it like 90% of these terrorists, or 60% or 70%?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #15
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,136
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Interesting claim. Just for reference, I'm going to name a few countries. Can you tell us whether they're in the Middle East or not?

    Afghanistan
    Pakistan
    Nigeria
    Somalia
    India
    Philippines
    Thailand

    Here, I'll make it easy for you:

    List of Middle East countries by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Next, can you add these numbers? 17.3, 13.1, 10.2, 2.3, 2.2, 1.6, 1.1

    Finally, can you tell the thread what you mean by overwhelming majority? Percentage wise. Is it like 90% of these terrorists, or 60% or 70%?
    Sorry, I'm not going to play your game... If you think her words were dripping with hatred, she called an entire race of people terrorists, or indicated that an entire race of people were violent or inferior, then please point this out to everyone. I watched the clip, and I saw nothing of the sort.

    Let me just post this link for you.


    .
    Last edited by Grim17; 01-14-15 at 04:18 AM.

  6. #16
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,468
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    "That's my question about these guys. If we know they were speaking unaccented French and they had ski masks on, do we even know what color they were, what the tone of their skin was? I mean, what if they didn't look like typical bad guys? As we define them when we think about terror groups."
    Racist? Not on the face of it but pretty dumb. I mean, considering that Caucasians came from the Caucasus...

    The Caucasus Emirate: Genealogy of an Islamist Insurgency | Middle East Policy Council

    and considering Muslims among Bosnians, Serbs and homegrown whackjobs.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  7. #17
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,039

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Sorry, I'm not going to play your game... If you think her words were dripping with hatred, she called an entire race of people terrorists, or indicated that an entire race of people were violent or inferior, then please point this out to everyone. I watched the clip, and I saw nothing of the sort.

    Let me just post this link for you.


    .
    So you won't? I wonder why. There is no game to be played. The answers contradict your silly claim. Let's start with the first answer: None of those countries are in the Middle East. Can you guess what the second answer is?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #18
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,136
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So you won't? I wonder why. There is no game to be played. The answers contradict your silly claim. Let's start with the first answer: None of those countries are in the Middle East. Can you guess what the second answer is?
    I notice you couldn't find any of those characteristics that define racism in anything she said... That's because they aren't there.

  9. #19
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    yay! another FOX News is bad boilerplate thread from equally extreme or more sources:

    Fox News Host: How Can We Spot Bad Guys If We Can't See "Tone Of Their Skin"

    FAIL.


    One should not use the extreme to suggest others are extreme.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #20
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,039

    Re: Is the following statement racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    I notice you couldn't find any of those characteristics that define racism in anything she said... That's because they aren't there.
    Grim17, you can acrobat around the thread with you dictionary definitions, but this really is a clear cut case of someone associating race with intent/type of person. A certain skin color = bad guys. A certain skin color = good guys. What color were the Muslims who killed those people at Charlie Hebdo by the way?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 01-14-15 at 02:16 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •