View Poll Results: What Percentage of US Population Wants To Ban All Firearms?

Voters
477. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than 5%

    12 2.52%
  • 5-10%

    15 3.14%
  • 10-20%

    18 3.77%
  • up to 25%

    24 5.03%
  • 25-35%

    35 7.34%
  • 35-50%

    197 41.30%
  • insignificant amount

    18 3.77%
  • dangerously large amount

    140 29.35%
  • it's a total non-issue - just propaganda

    9 1.89%
  • other - please explain

    23 4.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60

Thread: Percentage Of USA That Would Make All Guns Illegal To Own

  1. #21
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Percentage Of USA That Would Make All Guns Illegal To Own

    Yes I truly do. Maybe slightly less, but nothing significant. There are a lot of people who are against guns in their entirety.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  2. #22
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,662

    Re: Percentage Of USA That Would Make All Guns Illegal To Own

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    I'd be surprised if it were any more than 2%. It's nothing more than fear-based propaganda to make money for the NRA and get votes for the GOP. There is a significant portion of the population that supports restrictions and background checks, which I tend to disagree with because that only makes it harder for law-abiding citizens to get armed, but such actions are not the same as physically taking guns away from people. Which is a distinction that should be made if we are to be intellectually honest.
    Frankly, I think the number might be a little bit higher of those that would LIKE to see ALL guns banned. But I agree that the number that would actually like to make all guns illegal is more in line with what you suggest...around 2%.

    I disagree with you on who it is that is responsible for the fear mongering. Invariably...the threat comes from yet another type of gun ban. Its not an outright ban, mind you...its the niggling type of gun ban. Look at what has been suggested. People like Schumer, and Feinsten, and Pelosi, and Boxer...they dont want to ban guns. Thats just silly over the top hype and rhetoric. No...they just want to ban guns with removable magazines. Guns that can hold more than 7 rounds. Guns with 'military' characteristics (and then they get to define the military characteristics). They want to ban any gun that might be modified in any way to create a full auto or rapid fire capability.

    But a 'gun ban'? No...heavens no. Thats just silly over the top rhetoric promoted by the NRA so people will buy more guns. You can keep your single and double shot shotguns. You can keep 6 shot revolvers. And you know...just about ANY black powder weapon would still be legal. Gun bans? Puleeeeeeease....

  3. #23
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Percentage Of USA That Would Make All Guns Illegal To Own

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I asked for a percentage of the total population.

    Saying "large" doesn't really mean much.
    Then why the hell is there a "dangerously large amount" option?
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  4. #24
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,556

    Re: Percentage Of USA That Would Make All Guns Illegal To Own

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I keep reading threads from people who insist on calling out "gun grabbers" as if there's a significant portion of the population of America that would like to ban all guns, from all people, all the time.

    To me this always comes across as dishonest, fear-mongering propaganda.

    So I thought I'd try to ask an honest question in hopes of getting an honest answer.

    In your humble opinion, what percentage of all US citizens (of legal voting age) do you think want to make private citizens owning and firing any and all guns an illegal act?

    Do you think it's an insignificant amount? Less than 5% of total population? Do you think it's a significant amount? Upwards of 45-50%?
    Somewhere in-between? Is it an honest concern, or just a hot-button phrase used to basically subdue any "real" discussion in favor of propaganda and fear?

    Asking this question in the gun forum is like asking a toddler what percentage of the population wants to take all his candy away and eat it all up. The paranoia of some gun nuts runs quite high - and its possibly one of the reasons they accumulate and worship their guns.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  5. #25
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,556

    Re: Percentage Of USA That Would Make All Guns Illegal To Own

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Here's the way this works:

    1. They pass a law making "reasonable" restrictions on firearm ownership
    2. Something bad happens
    3. They make another law with more restrictions
    4. Something bad happens
    5. They make a law with more restrictions

    and so on and so on.

    Like I've said before, the gun grabbers don't want to ban guns. They just want to prevent people who might use them from obtaining one.

    The gun grabbers NEVER say that they want to ban all firearms because they LOVE the idea of government owning them but they hate the idea of civilians owning guns. For some ****ed up reason they figure that a government paycheck makes people pure of heart and conscience and that lack of a government paycheck makes people violent and incapable of self control.
    Versus:

    Soemthing bad happens.
    Nothing changes.
    Something bad happens thousands of times more
    nothing changes.

    Yay! Freedom!

    There Have Been 87 School Shootings Since Sandy Hook And Zero Gun Law Changes
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  6. #26
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,406

    Re: Percentage Of USA That Would Make All Guns Illegal To Own

    I would say its probably around 1 in 10 to 2 in 10 Americans depending on how the question would be worded. Some people just don't like guns at all. However, its actually a smaller number today than at any point in several decades at least.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  7. #27
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,406

    Re: Percentage Of USA That Would Make All Guns Illegal To Own

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Then why the hell is there a "dangerously large amount" option?
    I would imagine that would refer to a number that would be significantly large enough to actually amend the constitution.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #28
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Percentage Of USA That Would Make All Guns Illegal To Own

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I keep reading threads from people who insist on calling out "gun grabbers" as if there's a significant portion of the population of America that would like to ban all guns, from all people, all the time.

    To me this always comes across as dishonest, fear-mongering propaganda.

    So I thought I'd try to ask an honest question in hopes of getting an honest answer.

    In your humble opinion, what percentage of all US citizens (of legal voting age) do you think want to make private citizens owning and firing any and all guns an illegal act?

    Do you think it's an insignificant amount? Less than 5% of total population? Do you think it's a significant amount? Upwards of 45-50%?
    Somewhere in-between? Is it an honest concern, or just a hot-button phrase used to basically subdue any "real" discussion in favor of propaganda and fear?
    Most of us on the Left would probably say 20% or (probably significant) less. Most Dems do not want to ban guns anyway. BUT if you listen to the right-wing gun nuts, there's a vast left-wing conspiracy to send out the black helicopters and take everyone's guns away....
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Percentage Of USA That Would Make All Guns Illegal To Own

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Ok?What does that ramble have to do with my post?
    You were talking about the Supreme Court and bans on guns. I then talked about what the Supreme Court has said about bans on guns. And you now ask what that had to do with your post?

    Maybe you are just irked because I pointed out the fact that most of the calls for banning guns come from collectivist know-nothings. Dianne Feinstein, the clown who embarrasses my state in the U.S. Senate, is one of their leading lights. I doubt if one in a hundred of these people has read a single page of Heller--and I'm sure that doesn't make much difference, because they wouldn't understand it if they tried. Like most collectivists, they're ignorant and like it that way. They have their articles of faith, and that's good enough for them.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Percentage Of USA That Would Make All Guns Illegal To Own

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    You were talking about the Supreme Court and bans on guns. I then talked about what the Supreme Court has said about bans on guns. And you now ask what that had to do with your post?

    Maybe you are just irked because I pointed out the fact that most of the calls for banning guns come from collectivist know-nothings. Dianne Feinstein, the clown who embarrasses my state in the U.S. Senate, is one of their leading lights. I doubt if one in a hundred of these people has read a single page of Heller--and I'm sure that doesn't make much difference, because they wouldn't understand it if they tried. Like most collectivists, they're ignorant and like it that way. They have their articles of faith, and that's good enough for them.
    No, you're rambling. My post was strictly about the powers of the supreme court. I never gave my position on guns one way or the other. In fact, you might surprise yourself in finding out that I'm actually very pro-gun. I'm for constitutional carry even. No permits or checks of any kind. But where I'm pro-gun, I'm also anti-bull****. I make no secret of my absolute distaste for partisan nonsense, fearmongering, and intellectual dishonesty. And frankly there's alot of that circulating around the issue of gun control.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •