View Poll Results: Is racial discrimination sometimes justified?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 4.39%
  • No

    109 95.61%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 132

Thread: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

  1. #121
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,302

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    What if you are a Human Resource Director for a highly technical, scientific firm.
    My guess is most ehtnic backrounds would be Oriental, then white, and then
    black. Should that Human Resource Director be charged with discrimination. Of
    course, it is the job of a Human Resource Director to discriminate.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    It probably is natural. It's still unjust. And doing it doesn't necessarily make you a bad person, depending on how far you let it take you, but it's not a justified natural response.
    Perhaps it's not justified. But on the other hand, intuitively I would think that there must be some justification to it, if it is indeed natural. But again, that's just an intuitive response.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    I see it in the same vein as people who refuse to do business with an entire chain of restaurants after a single bad experience with service at one of them. Not really justified at all, yet I know several people who do so.
    I am susceptible to doing that.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    If they are discriminating deliberately, then it can't be wholly unconscious. You are self contradicting.
    Perhaps I have not made myself clear. The person can be deliberately engaged in an act, that is in fact discriminatory, and not be aware of the fact that the activity that they are deliberately engaged in, is in fact discriminatory.

    I hope I didn't make it worse. lol

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    It is not overly broad because racial discrimination is to discriminate based on race. It is not illegal for the person to think, there is a group of black men, they may rob me, therefore I will avoid them.
    We disagree on how you are using the term.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #125
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Perhaps I have not made myself clear. The person can be deliberately engaged in an act, that is in fact discriminatory, and not be aware of the fact that the activity that they are deliberately engaged in, is in fact discriminatory.

    I hope I didn't make it worse. lol
    Hm. Trying to be precise then:

    If they are deliberately engaged in discrimination, then that is an act that can be said to be justified or not as discrimination.

    If they are engaged in an act in which unconscious discrimination plays a role, then not so much.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Hm. Trying to be precise then:

    If they are deliberately engaged in discrimination, then that is an act that can be said to be justified or not as discrimination.

    If they are engaged in an act in which unconscious discrimination plays a role, then not so much.
    All right. So let me ask you this. Can a person be deliberately engaged in discrimination, and not be aware that they are deliberately engaged in discrimination?

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    What if you are a Human Resource Director for a highly technical, scientific firm.
    My guess is most ehtnic backrounds would be Oriental, then white, and then
    black. Should that Human Resource Director be charged with discrimination. Of
    course, it is the job of a Human Resource Director to discriminate.
    Yep. But that IS NOT NECESSARILY discrimination based on race. It could be GPA, experience, and ability. But it could also be, discrimination based on race. One would have to examine the matter to make the determination. That said, your guess, and I most certainly agree with it, is most certainly discrimination made on the basis of race. We both did that. Is that justified? That is the question.

  8. #128
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,302

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Yep. But that IS NOT NECESSARILY discrimination based on race. It could be GPA, experience, and ability. But it could also be, discrimination based on race. One would have to examine the matter to make the determination. That said, your guess, and I most certainly agree with it, is most certainly discrimination made on the basis of race. We both did that. Is that justified? That is the question.


    I based ny statement on the fact that International Standardized IQ testing
    for various ethnicities reveals Orientals to have average IQs of 110, white
    Euro/American average IQs of 100, and African averege IQs 90 and under.
    I understand the possibility of WASP contamination of test design, but also
    feel that logic, math, art, and basic skills are valid tools for test design. That
    being said, a shortcoming in one area of testing may completely ignore an excess
    in an area, intentionally or unintentionally, not tested. I don't think IQ testing
    deals with emotions, physical advantage, or sensory perception. Also, exceptions
    are manifeest in every area, by every race. Knowing these stated facts, if I were a
    Human Resource Director in charge of hiring, l would definitely have ethnic prejudices
    and they would not be subliminal, but an overt tool of the job. It could be called rascism.
    It could be called discrimination. It could be called doing the job.

  9. #129
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    For whatever reason, we see that certain races or more prone to certain types of negative and/or illegal activity. Not only that, but certain books like the Bell Curve seem to suggest that certain races are less intelligent that other races. As such, if we are really to look at the world as it is, is a certain amount of racial discrimination justified?
    Racism is never justified, however discriminating against undesirable behaviors may be. Because a particular race may culturally accept certain behaviors that are deemed undesirable by the public at large doesn't mean that the rejection of those behaviors reflect racism.
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I based ny statement on the fact that International Standardized IQ testing
    for various ethnicities reveals Orientals to have average IQs of 110, white
    Euro/American average IQs of 100, and African averege IQs 90 and under.
    I understand the possibility of WASP contamination of test design, but also
    feel that logic, math, art, and basic skills are valid tools for test design. That
    being said, a shortcoming in one area of testing may completely ignore an excess
    in an area, intentionally or unintentionally, not tested. I don't think IQ testing
    deals with emotions, physical advantage, or sensory perception. Also, exceptions
    are manifeest in every area, by every race. Knowing these stated facts, if I were a
    Human Resource Director in charge of hiring, l would definitely have ethnic prejudices
    and they would not be subliminal, but an overt tool of the job. It could be called rascism.
    It could be called discrimination. It could be called doing the job.
    I agreed with your statement because it is consistent with my experience. The thing is this, I did it without realizing that I had just discriminated based on race. That did not occur to me until I started replying to your post. That's why I say people can indeed discriminate based on race without realizing that they are doing it.

    I just took my son out to get an icee. On the way I had a realization. What if someone had my son and was threatening to kill him if I did not answer a question correctly. What if the question was what is racial/ethnic makeup of a certain high tech firm. What if I was given three choices and told that one of those answers was the correct one. One of the choices would be the make up you described. At that point, I would be forced to actually do some discriminating because I would want to make sure I picked the most likely answer. I think that racial discrimination, in that case, is justified. Therefore I cannot honestly say that racial discrimination is NEVER justified.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •