View Poll Results: Is racial discrimination sometimes justified?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 4.39%
  • No

    109 95.61%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 132

Thread: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by michijo View Post
    I think that is a personal space issue with criminal behavior. The less mental space you feel, the more likely to erupt in violence. For instance, if blacks are all moved into one ghetto and discriminated against, they will lose mental space, they will not give themselves any person space to live, and develop angry feelings. This is especially true as they also discriminate against each other after so many years. If you think about your own feelings of hostility, you can see they are from having your inner space stolen by assholes and disrespected.
    I feel you big time. Some people seem to have no problem whatsoever with constantly getting into other people's business.
    Last edited by MildSteel; 01-11-15 at 03:35 PM.

  2. #112
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Let's look at an earlier example. Suppose that a person sees statistics that show blacks, relative to their numbers, are disproportionately involved in crime. Suppose that person is walking down the street and robbed by a group of black men. Would not that person be justified in avoiding groups of black men in the future? Isn't that discrimination that has some justification?
    No that person would not be justified as they are making vast generalizations against an entire race of people.

    Let me give you an example from my own life. When I was quite young, my brother and I got into an argument of sorts with a group of white kids from across the street who we were usually on good terms with. The argument ended with my brother and me being chased down several blocks while the white kids threw rocks at us and called us the N-word. By the logic of your above post, I would be completely justified in avoiding all white people. However, in reality I am not as I would be stereotyping, assuming that all white people were as bad as the ones I interacted with.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  3. #113
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    OK. I'm done with that example. You asked for one, I attempted to give one.
    'fair enough.


    Sometimes they do. Some do not feel that they are discriminating at all. That is a fact.
    This is where I think you are attempting to conflate unlike things with regards to justification. Implicit, unconscious discrimination cannot be said to be either "justified" or "unjustified" - it simply is part of psychology. It is.

    Decisions are conscious choices to discriminate that can be justified or unjustified, based off of the possible loss v the good sought.


    We can say, for example, "The decision to continue affirmative action at University X is / is not justified due to the following reasons", but we wouldn't say "the decision that taller men are more appealing to women is / is not justified" because it's not a decision - it just is. It might be unfair to those of us who are altitudinally challenged, but that does not speak to it's being justified or not.
    Last edited by cpwill; 01-11-15 at 03:27 PM.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    No that person would not be justified as they are making vast generalizations against an entire race of people.

    Let me give you an example from my own life. When I was quite young, my brother and I got into an argument of sorts with a group of white kids from across the street who we were usually on good terms with. The argument ended with my brother and me being chased down several blocks while the white kids threw rocks at us and called us the N-word. By the logic of your above post, I would be completely justified in avoiding all white people. However, in reality I am not as I would be stereotyping, assuming that all white people were as bad as the ones I interacted with.
    My experience is that as I boy, I avoided riding my bike through white neighborhoods.

  5. #115
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    My experience is that as I boy, I avoided riding my bike through white neighborhoods.
    We all lived in the same neighborhood, same town, went to the same schools.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post

    This is where I think you are attempting to conflate unlike things with regards to justification. Implicit, unconscious discrimination cannot be said to be either "justified" or "unjustified" - it simply is part of psychology.
    And where I think you are wrong is that a person could be consciously engaged in an act where they are deliberately engaging in discriminating activity, and not think that they are actually doing so. In that case, it is not deliberate.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    We all lived in the same neighborhood, same town, went to the same schools.
    Perhaps I don't understand you, but I am from the south.

  8. #118
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    17,880

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Ok. Sorry to bother you.
    You are not bothering me. I do not give a whit as to a persons color, orientation, religion or lack of religion.
    The questions were reasonable. Trying to get a handle on what you are looking for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary is the only defense I or anyone else needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not once have I showed my dick to a woman and she thought it was creepy. In fact, in 100% of the cases, they were pretty excited about it. I don't know who you're showing your **** too.

  9. #119
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,192

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    IF you say it is indeed unjust, I would put forward that not to do so is somewhat unnatural or perhaps unusual would be a better term.
    It probably is natural. It's still unjust. And doing it doesn't necessarily make you a bad person, depending on how far you let it take you, but it's not a justified natural response.

    I see it in the same vein as people who refuse to do business with an entire chain of restaurants after a single bad experience with service at one of them. Not really justified at all, yet I know several people who do so.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  10. #120
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Is Racial Discrimination Sometimes Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    And where I think you are wrong is that a person could be consciously engaged in an act where they are deliberately engaging in discriminating activity, and not think that they are actually doing so. In that case, it is not deliberate.
    If they are discriminating deliberately, then it can't be wholly unconscious. You are self contradicting.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •