View Poll Results: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/rational?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO

    179 84.43%
  • YES

    22 10.38%
  • OTHER

    11 5.19%
Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 325

Thread: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/rational?

  1. #241
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Respect goes both ways, you know.
    Sure it does and good morning. I do not push my religion on anyone and very rarely talk about it. I do wish there was a decent way to stop all them 7th Day folks from coming by the house every once in a long while. I would be very happy to just let things be. What is, is. Trying to change or take down crosses if not letting things be or respecting others. It is taking actions against someone else, by doing so it is showing their lack of respect.

    I am very easy, just let things be. What is there is there. Do not try to force your beliefs or non-beliefs upon others.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  2. #242
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, WorldWatcher.

    I hope you're right. The deceased didn't put them there, friends or family did. How sad for a parent to visit their child's last resting place and find the symbols of their remembrance gone. When did a cross or any other religious symbol from any faith become such a threat that it had to be removed? What is so scary about them?
    Morn'n...

    The idea that religious symbols are being removed form veterans cemeteries is false, so there is nothing to be sad about.


    >>>>

  3. #243
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Oh, complaining because you don't actually own the definition of any word again? Too bad. Part of language, part of life is that things, including words, change. That is not something outside of the norm at all.
    Regardless, changing marriage into something it has never been is an extremist position.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    If someone doesn't want to bake a wedding cake or photograph an interracial or interfaith wedding or the wedding of someone of a certain faith, they too are sued and "run out of business" because it is illegal discrimination based on protected classification and viewed as wrong by enough people to lead to a person not getting enough business for their poor business decisions.
    Except we’re not talking about “interracial” marriages. We’re talking about homosexual marriages. And while you insist that churches will not be forced to marry homosexuals--above you state that “[i]f someone doesn't want to bake a wedding cake or photograph an…interfaith wedding or the wedding of someone of a certain faith, they too are sued and ‘run out of business’ because it is illegal discrimination…”. Sorry, don’t know how to break it to you but someone who thinks it’s okay to marry someone of the same-sex has a very different faith (“interfaith”) from the one described in the Christian Bible and practiced by a majority of Christian Churches.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    There is absolutely no proof at all that churches would ever be forced to perform weddings for anyone they don't want to and a lot of evidence that this won't happen. Or are you of the mindset that the only people that have ever filed discrimination lawsuits against any businesses are gays? If so, you would be greatly mistaken.
    Trying to argue a strawman, are we?

    Like it or not, forcing people to involve their businesses in unwanted homosexual marriages in not a far cry from forcing churches to marry homosexuals. In my mind this is simply a foregone conclusion. In my opinion, churches will be forced to marry homosexuals or be forced to give up their tax exempt status.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  4. #244
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    In today's day and age, not much surprises me anymore. I do not think any church should be required to marry anyone for whatever reason. Is it irrational to fear that a church might be forced to, maybe, maybe not.
    its irrational because theres no steps in law that can be taken to do so unless the constitution is amended.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #245
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,058

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    Regardless, changing marriage into something it has never been is an extremist position.

    Except we’re not talking about “interracial” marriages. We’re talking about homosexual marriages. And while you insist that churches will not be forced to marry homosexuals--above you state that “[i]f someone doesn't want to bake a wedding cake or photograph an…interfaith wedding or the wedding of someone of a certain faith, they too are sued and ‘run out of business’ because it is illegal discrimination…”. Sorry, don’t know how to break it to you but someone who thinks it’s okay to marry someone of the same-sex has a very different faith (“interfaith”) from the one described in the Christian Bible and practiced by a majority of Christian Churches.

    Trying to argue a strawman, are we?

    Like it or not, forcing people to involve their businesses in unwanted homosexual marriages in not a far cry from forcing churches to marry homosexuals. In my mind this is simply a foregone conclusion. In my opinion, churches will be forced to marry homosexuals or be forced to give up their tax exempt status.
    Since marriage has included same sex couples in the past then there is no change to something it has never been.

    We are talking about how laws apply to people based on characteristics, one is race another is sexuality in some states. They work the same for either person who is being discriminated against based on those characteristics, for whatever people want to try to claim for that discrimination.

    Upholding public accommodation laws is a far cry from forcing churches to perform same sex weddings because churches have always been exempt from public accommodation laws. They are not businesses.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #246
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Sure it does and good morning. I do not push my religion on anyone and very rarely talk about it. I do wish there was a decent way to stop all them 7th Day folks from coming by the house every once in a long while. I would be very happy to just let things be. What is, is. Trying to change or take down crosses if not letting things be or respecting others. It is taking actions against someone else, by doing so it is showing their lack of respect.

    I am very easy, just let things be. What is there is there. Do not try to force your beliefs or non-beliefs upon others.
    And on the flip side only allowing one particular religious icon and forbidding others is not respecting others. See the Oklahoma 10 commandments issue, or the bibles only handed out in Florida.
    It is an all or nothing issue. Why should only one religion (generally Christian) be represented on public land and not all others?
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  7. #247
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Since marriagehas included same sex couples in the past then there is no change to somethingit has never been.


    Until very recently marriage has between men and women so, “yes”, it is a change.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    We are talking about how laws apply to people basedon characteristics, one is race another is sexuality in some states. They workthe same for either person who is being discriminated against based on thosecharacteristics, for whatever people want to try to claim for thatdiscrimination.


    Exactly why I believe churches will beforced to marry homosexuals or lose their tax exempt status.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Upholding public accommodation laws is a far cryfrom forcing churches to perform same sex weddings because churches have alwaysbeen exempt from public accommodation laws. They are not businesses.


    And yet Obamacare is forcing churches to provide abortion coverage which is anathema to churches. The same will hold true with homosexual marriages.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  8. #248
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    1.)Until very recently marriage has between men and women so, “yes”, it is a change.
    2.)Exactly why I believe churches will beforced to marry homosexuals or lose their tax exempt status.
    3.)And yet Obamacare is forcing churches to provide abortion coverage which is anathema to churches. The same will hold true with homosexual marriages.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    1.) history disagrees
    2.) based on what legality?
    3.) LMAO please stay on topic and use RELEVANT facts based on legality
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #249
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post

    Until very recently marriage has between men and women so, “yes”, it is a change.



    Exactly why I believe churches will beforced to marry homosexuals or lose their tax exempt status.



    And yet Obamacare is forcing churches to provide abortion coverage which is anathema to churches. The same will hold true with homosexual marriages.
    Yet no church is forced to marry interracial couples, or black couples, or previously divorced couples, or people of other religions.

    What CHURCH was forced to pay for abortions?
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  10. #250
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,058

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post

    Until very recently marriage has between men and women so, “yes”, it is a change.



    Exactly why I believe churches will beforced to marry homosexuals or lose their tax exempt status.



    And yet Obamacare is forcing churches to provide abortion coverage which is anathema to churches. The same will hold true with homosexual marriages.
    It hasn't been exclusively between a man and a woman. Just because you feel that the recognition wasn't at the same level or wish to deny this, same sex couples got married in the past, and considered themselves married as well, even when they couldn't actually legally get it recognized. They had as much right to claim the definition of married then as they do now.

    As for the abortion thing, you are confusing a state mandate with Obamacare. I haven't found anything saying otherwise except for coverage of things like contraceptives and Plan B, which is not an abortion drug. Plus there are exemptions for churches. I don't like Obamacare at all, but it is wrong to lie or repeat lies about it just because you don't want to find out the truth.

    Georgia Teens Fed Up With Segregated Proms - ABC News

    I don't agree with that mandate and it is right to challenge it. Has nothing to do with same sex marriage and is not comparable.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •