View Poll Results: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/rational?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO

    179 84.43%
  • YES

    22 10.38%
  • OTHER

    11 5.19%
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 325

Thread: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/rational?

  1. #191
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    "Same-sex marriage supporters" are, by way of thier beliefs, extremists.
    No, they aren't. They are in fact a majority and in no way extreme. Only severely biased people would believe otherwise.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #192
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,515

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    First, once again, a poll placed in the "Debate Political Polls .. Polls" section of the forum has its numerical results distorted by visitor spam voting. We would all do well to simply post a poll and its topic in the appropriate topical section and to not post in the special polls section until this problem in the polls section gets fixed.

    As to the topic ..

    .. At what point do religious organizations have exemption with respect to the U.S. constitution?

    If a church starts a private school and wants to exclude African Americans, are they not in violation of the 14th Amendment? Do they get a free pass because they're a religious organization?

    If the SCOTUS in June decides that there is a constitutional right for any two people to marry, and a church chooses to do marriages, but they say they refuse, however, to perform same-sex marriages, will they also not be in violation of the appropriate part of the U.S. constitution? Will they get a free pass because they're a religious organization?

    It's a valid question.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

  3. #193
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) no it couldnt because the church is protected by the constitution and it can LEGALLY discrimination in the religious realm
    2.) replace all the words you want it instantly fails because there is no ILLEGAL discrimination there for not CRIME or LAW broken, so your point fails based on facts and legality
    3.) meaningless, a baker isnt religious and has nothing to do with religion, if they cant play by the same rules as we ALL have to play by then dont run a business its that simple. Same reasons why st. johns hospital cant just refuse gay patients . Im a christian and i would have to be a complete moron to think that i get special treatment when i open up a business and I get to break laws and infringe on the rights others
    4.) yes the government rule they dont get special treatment and get to break the law lol
    5.) good move they never should have been dumb enough to open them
    6.) no you cant as long as its in a CHURCH and RELIGIOUS REALM because like facts, the law and history prove ZERO laws are broken


    this is a very simple concept

    the church discriminant breaks ZERO laws there for theres no precedence to use against them and the Constitution would have to be amended for them to be breaking the law
    no it couldnt because the church is protected by the constitution and it can LEGALLY discrimination in the religious realm

    The Constitution is supposed to affirm the rights of "the people." The Church is only protected as it is made up of people. Not the first time the courts have gotten in wrong, IMHO.

    Same reasons why st. johns hospital cant just refuse gay patients

    Wow. There's nothing in scripture that teaches treating the sick is sinful regardless of the spiritual condition of the patient.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  4. #194
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    That is something that I noted and was somewhat surprised by. Up till now that would have made the law unconstitutional.
    It does make the law Unconstitutional. I believe we are still waiting on the courts to rule one way or another.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  5. #195
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, they aren't. They are in fact a majority and in no way extreme. Only severely biased people would believe otherwise.
    Riiiight. Whatever helps you sleep at night, hon.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  6. #196
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    1.)The Constitution is supposed to affirm the rights of "the people." The Church is only protected as it is made up of people. Not the first time the courts have gotten in wrong, IMHO.

    2.)Wow. There's nothing in scripture that teaches treating the sick is sinful regardless of the spiritual condition of the patient.
    1.) we arent talking about your opinion we are talking about law and facts and theres no legal precedence to go after the church and the break no laws with their LEGAL discrimination so unless the constitution changes theres nothing there. AGain if you disagree simply proved the factual LEGALITY that can be used.

    2.) LOL doesnt have to be, if you dont like that example that same hospital cant deny someone spousal privileges if they arent married in the churches eyes or gay etc etc. DOnt try to deflect or over think the example was based on LAW and rights.


    this is a very simple concept

    the church discriminating breaks ZERO laws there for theres no precedence to use against them and nor will there be unless the Constitution is amended
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #197
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    First, once again, a poll placed in the "Debate Political Polls .. Polls" section of the forum has its numerical results distorted by visitor spam voting. We would all do well to simply post a poll and its topic in the appropriate topical section and to not post in the special polls section until this problem in the polls section gets fixed.

    As to the topic ..

    .. At what point do religious organizations have exemption with respect to the U.S. constitution?

    If a church starts a private school and wants to exclude African Americans, are they not in violation of the 14th Amendment? Do they get a free pass because they're a religious organization?

    If the SCOTUS in June decides that there is a constitutional right for any two people to marry, and a church chooses to do marriages, but they say they refuse, however, to perform same-sex marriages, will they also not be in violation of the appropriate part of the U.S. constitution? Will they get a free pass because they're a religious organization?

    It's a valid question.
    Some faith-based organizations legally may discriminate. A faith-based school may only accept students of one gender and require all faculty be that gender, for example.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  8. #198
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    That is something that I noted and was somewhat surprised by. Up till now that would have made the law unconstitutional.
    It still does. Willful refusal, on the part of government, to obey the Constitution, does not in the least change what the Constitution says, what it allows, nor what it disallows. It only reveals the disturbing, growing lawlessness and corruption of our government.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  9. #199
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    It does make the law Unconstitutional. I believe we are still waiting on the courts to rule one way or another.
    The ObamaCare scam would be unconstitutional anywsy, if for no other reason than that it represents a power grab on the part of the federal government, far beyond the Constitutional bounds thereof; and therefore a blatant violation of the Tenth Amendment.

    Requiring those who oppose the savage murder if innocent children to participate therein is just an extra superfluous layer of lawless disregard for the Constitution as well as of basic human rights.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  10. #200
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Do you believe the idea of churches being forced to marry people is likely/ration

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    Riiiight. Whatever helps you sleep at night, hon.
    Here is the definition of "extremist".

    https://dictionary.search.yahoo.com/...xtremist&.sep=

    Does not fit the vast majority of same sex marriage supporters. Although it can fit certain anti-gay people, such as those priests who wanted to put gays in fences and drop in water or WBC or the one who wanted to hit children for showing signs of not acting "straight" enough.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •