View Poll Results: Is radical Islam compatible with a free society?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    4 3.05%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    8 6.11%
  • Im not American, yes.

    4 3.05%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    35 26.72%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    62 47.33%
  • Im not American, no.

    18 13.74%
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 380

Thread: Is radical Islam compatible with a free society?

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: Is radical Islam compatible with a free society?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    2000 nigerians are believed killed today after a Boko Haram attack. Yesterday many died in Paris by local muslims. In france on new years day alone, nearly 1000 cars were burned by islamic "protestors". ISIS continues to flourish.



    World wide, the death toll continues to climb-whats clear is that the presence of islam often leads to violence, in fact many of the worlds current military conflicts involve islam in a significant way. We live in an international world, where relations between nations matter, and where many value a free society.

    Is radical Islam compatible with a free society?
    No, from a literal translation. Radical islam adhere's to their own non-free set of rules engaged from Sharia and the Koran. That is the opposite of free.

  2. #42
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,753

    Re: Is radical Islam compatible with a free society?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    2000 nigerians are believed killed today after a Boko Haram attack. Yesterday many died in Paris by local muslims. In france on new years day alone, nearly 1000 cars were burned by islamic "protestors". ISIS continues to flourish.



    World wide, the death toll continues to climb-whats clear is that the presence of islam often leads to violence, in fact many of the worlds current military conflicts involve islam in a significant way. We live in an international world, where relations between nations matter, and where many value a free society.

    Is radical Islam compatible with a free society?
    Radical fundamentalism of any kind is not compatible with any free society. Religious tyranny is a sickness of the soul. Trying to curtail it as you say can only be done by marginalizing religious fundamentalism and treating it as a watch word, the same way we watch the KKK etc.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  3. #43
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Is radical Islam compatible with a free society?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    No. Natural law doesn't work that way. One can't do evil to seek good.
    Ah, so you were threadjacking then. Got it.

  4. #44
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Is radical Islam compatible with a free society?

    You site all these sources of how islam is holding back world peace today but systematically neglect to acknowledge how Catholicism and subsequent denominations were the reason for global instability for and have caused wars for ages. Since the 1000s Catholicism has caused violence and suffering. Now, for a fraction of that time, a different religion is causing similar problems and they are the most demonous people to have ever walked the earth. I certainly denounce the actions of these extreme Islamists, but to disregard the relevant past is unfortunate. Nobody ever questioned whether Catholicism was compatible with the world. If the world survived it since the 1000s, I think it can survive this as well.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  5. #45
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Is radical Islam compatible with a free society?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Yet somehow the state manages to "govern the reproductive habits of mothers of newborns", as you would say*, without creating a police state.

    *I wouldn't say it that way, since I speak English well and know that "prohibit the murder of young children" does not have the same meaning as "regulate the reproductive habits of the mothers of young children".



    No. Natural law doesn't work that way. One can't do evil to seek good.
    Children have to be born in a hospital that has to report to the state. Reproductive rights are much closer to legal conditions of Prohibition, but worse. You can nominally ban it, but it just becomes like drugs or prostitution. Containable to certain neighborhoods but still a billion dollar industry nonetheless.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  6. #46
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Is radical Islam compatible with a free society?

    Forgive me if this seems a bit obvious but:

    Radical [insert any ideology here] isn't going to be compatible with free society.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  7. #47
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Is radical Islam compatible with a free society?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Forgive me if this seems a bit obvious but:

    Radical [insert any ideology here] isn't going to be compatible with free society.
    How about radical pacifism?

  8. #48
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Is radical Islam compatible with a free society?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    You site all these sources of how islam is holding back world peace today but systematically neglect to acknowledge how Catholicism and subsequent denominations were the reason for global instability for and have caused wars for ages. Since the 1000s Catholicism has caused violence and suffering. Now, for a fraction of that time, a different religion is causing similar problems and they are the most demonous people to have ever walked the earth. I certainly denounce the actions of these extreme Islamists, but to disregard the relevant past is unfortunate. Nobody ever questioned whether Catholicism was compatible with the world. If the world survived it since the 1000s, I think it can survive this as well.
    I think there has been quite a bit of effort for religious leaders in modern times to comment on, and even apologize for past atrocities carried out under the banner of their religions.

    However, what may be causing more concern today is the instantaneous global reach the tens of thousands of Islamic Radicals have available to them. In less than a day they can reach out to any point on the earth, and strike with catastrophic effect. While the world was certainly smaller during the crusades, societies on the other side of the globe were somewhat insulated. Today, nobody is truly safe, and the message is convert, or die.

    That kind of message and desired result can't help but cause people to turn to members of that religion rightfully or not, and ask for an explanation.

  9. #49
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    17,918

    Re: Is radical Islam compatible with a free society?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    2000 nigerians are believed killed today after a Boko Haram attack. Yesterday many died in Paris by local muslims. In france on new years day alone, nearly 1000 cars were burned by islamic "protestors". ISIS continues to flourish.



    World wide, the death toll continues to climb-whats clear is that the presence of islam often leads to violence, in fact many of the worlds current military conflicts involve islam in a significant way. We live in an international world, where relations between nations matter, and where many value a free society.

    Is radical Islam compatible with a free society?
    Link pulease for the 2000 killed by Boko Haram in that attack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary is the only defense I or anyone else needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not once have I showed my dick to a woman and she thought it was creepy. In fact, in 100% of the cases, they were pretty excited about it. I don't know who you're showing your **** too.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Is radical Islam compatible with a free society?

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Link pulease for the 2000 killed by Boko Haram in that attack?
    Google is your friend.

    Nigeria: 2,000 feared killed in Boko Haram's 'deadliest massacre' | World news | The Guardian
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •