View Poll Results: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    25 15.34%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    31 19.02%
  • Im not American, yes.

    7 4.29%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    45 27.61%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    40 24.54%
  • Im not American, no.

    15 9.20%
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 304

Thread: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

  1. #61
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,546

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Because it would be discrimination? They offer marriages as do bakers bridal cake.
    Are churches forced to marry straight people?

    When I was getting married, could my spouse and I have walked into any church we desired and "made" them marry us?

    Being that I'm not a member of any church - would the local Catholic Church have been required to marry us? What about the local Jewish Synagogue?
    Hindu Temple?

    I'm damn certain that no church is ever required to marry anyone. They can always refuse. They can always say "no".
    Wastin' time, like it was free - Godsmack

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.

  2. #62
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Because it would be discrimination? They offer marriages as do bakers bridal cake.
    The issue with this argument is the church is not the only one to offer marriages, one can be obtained through government offices. The other issue with the argument is the 1st Amendment, freedom of religion does not come with the context that the government can force religion to do something. And that has to include marriages.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  3. #63
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,804

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    1.)Absolutely not. If we are going for separation of church and state then that goes both ways. The church should not appeal to government to define acceptable terms for marriage, and the government should not appeal to the church by forcing them to marry whoever shows up.
    2.) If the LGBT community is asking for this, then they are overstepping their position.
    1.) everybody here agrees
    2.) also everybody here agrees and they are not asking for this
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #64
    Educator

    WillyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,184

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanSpartan View Post
    Yeah because the government never forces people to do things against their will under the threat of force, right?
    It's irrational because such a move would be blatantly against the letter and spirit of the 1st amendment, wouldn't survive a SCOTUS challenge, and would cause widespread and righteous outrage from every sector of the population. This specific issue transcends the left\right, liberal\conservative dynamics in our country.

    If you have examples of blatant unconstitutional behavior that isn't being challenged, we should definitely shed some light on them (probably in a different thread.) Certainly there are hazy and contentious areas, but freedom of religion isn't one of them.

  5. #65
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    If the government can reasonably dictate what a church believes and what it doesn't believe... and make no mistake, dictating actions is the same thing as dictating beliefs... then we would need only a single church/religion.

    Wow. What a time and money saver!
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #66
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    What is the point of this poll? No one is arguing that they should. Moreover, it would not be constitutional. Its nothing but a straw man. Churches already do not recognize all sorts of marriages that the government does recognize. For example, if you divorce and then remarry the Catholic Church will not recognize the second marriage. The same is the case with same sex marriage.
    Actually, I have seen people argue that they should. I'm not one of them, btw.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #67
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    I think someone is messing with the vote. I cant believe that 5 right leaning people voted yes and dont believe that 6 left leaning people did. Until I just voted, there were exactly the same number of yes's as no's. I just dont believe that that happened without someone messing with it.
    Right now, polls are worthless. Somebody's gaming them.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #68
    Educator

    WillyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,184

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform sick homosexual mockeries of marriages?

    I'm beginning to think the TRUE fear of the anti-SSM crowd is that after it becomes widely accepted, most churches will CHOOSE voluntarily to participate, alienating their own traditionalists. I expect these types would prefer their church being forced rather than deciding on their own.

    I imagine there were similar concerns in some churches before interracial marriages became commonplace. That was a few decades ago, so some of us may live long enough to see this issue rendered quaint.

  9. #69
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    What do you call a church that demands 10% of your income to be a member?
    It's not a demand. It's a request, a mere suggestion. Some churches are just more efficient as requesting and suggesting than others.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #70
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,253

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Fair enough (I happen to agree) but the question was if churches should be forced to do so.
    Sorry if I did not make that clear.

    I do not think they should be forced to do so.

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •