View Poll Results: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    25 15.34%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    31 19.02%
  • Im not American, yes.

    7 4.29%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    45 27.61%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    40 24.54%
  • Im not American, no.

    15 9.20%
Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 304

Thread: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

  1. #171
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,143

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I agree 100% with one possible exception.

    I think a good many should be investigated and possibly forced to start paying taxes.
    Other than that...they should have 100% freedom to be as biased, ignorant, and discriminatory as desired.
    The whole premise of this thread is biased, ignorant, and discriminatory.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  2. #172
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,204

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I agree 100% with one possible exception.

    I think a good many should be investigated and possibly forced to start paying taxes.
    Other than that...they should have 100% freedom to be as biased, ignorant, and discriminatory as desired.
    I have to agree.

    If you want to give them so sort of basic deduction fine - but other deductions should be based on their "good deeds" - if they give to the homeless,poor, hungry -totally deductible. If they run a clinic for the homeless (etc) don't just deduct -help them out (as long as the clinic is non discriminatory). Running an afterschool program for neighborhood impoverished youth? Hell yeah - don't just allow deductions - give them help.

    But any deduction allowing for 200 million dollar buildings and folks driving high end cars, etc? Not feeling it.

  3. #173
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:49 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,495

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    The whole premise of this thread is biased, ignorant, and discriminatory.
    In what way?

    From what I see, the overwhelming majority of people here believe churches should have complete and ultimate control over what they do and for whom.

    Perhaps I don't get what you mean?
    Wastin' time, like it was free - Godsmack

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.

  4. #174
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    I won't respond posting my vote per the poll selections because I don't think my political lean has anything to do with my stance on the poll question. That said, I don't think churches should be forced to wed any couple whom it doesn't believe is ready for marriage whether gay or straight or if it doesn't sanction the type of marriage in question (gay marriage in this case). If the gay (or straight) couple still desires to be wed, they can either find another church that will perform the marriage ceremony or go to the Justice of the Peace in their respective county/district.

    It's just that simple.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  5. #175
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    So your premise is Church's aren't in it for the religion but rather to make money?
    To a degree, yes. I've don't know of a church yet that hasn't benefited both financially and socially (as in "sense of community") from any marriage performed under their spire.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  6. #176
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,872

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    To a degree, yes. I've don't know of a church yet that hasn't benefited both financially and socially (as in "sense of community") from any marriage performed under their spire.
    How much do churches profit from weddings? I ask because my BFF is very active in her Methodist church, including being the de facto wedding coordinator. Sounds to me as if performing weddings isn't very profitable.

  7. #177
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    How much do churches profit from weddings? I ask because my BFF is very active in her Methodist church, including being the de facto wedding coordinator. Sounds to me as if performing weddings isn't very profitable.
    I have no idea. You've have to ask each church individually and review their accounts. However, since most churches are non-profit organizations I doubt you'll ever really know the answer to this question. But I do know this: No church that I've ever attended or been member has ever performed a wedding or hosted a wedding reception for free. Even your Justice of the Peace charges a fee for the marriage license. So, let's not try to pretend that churches don't profit from performing weddings. All do no matter how large or small the event regardless if the couple is gay or straight.

    Now, what you're asking is "Are weddings big money makers for the church"? I suppose if you're Kim and Kanya, Jay-Z and Beyonce', George Clooney and Amal Alamddin or "Bragelia" the church where each married would have profited greatly! But for your average, everyday church I'd have to say they make more of their money from tithes and offerings than the one or two marriages they perform once or twice per year. But to be fair, I think we can both agree those wedding services and banquet hall rental fees don't go in the church's "Expenses" column.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 01-09-15 at 12:20 PM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  8. #178
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform sick homosexual mockeries of marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    That line was crossed when businesses such as bakeries and florists and photographers were successfully sued for refusing to participate in sick homosexual mockeries of weddings.

    That line has been crossed, and if it is allowed to stand, then there remains nothing in the way of forcing the same thing on churches and ministers.
    Yup. The argument will be that "well you let other people who aren't members of your congregation use the church for weddings, and you take money for it, so clearly you are in the marketplace and once you enter the marketplace you are no longer allowed to express your beliefs if they violate political correctness..."

  9. #179
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    How much do churches profit from weddings? I ask because my BFF is very active in her Methodist church, including being the de facto wedding coordinator. Sounds to me as if performing weddings isn't very profitable.
    they don't care if it's profitable. They care if there is a way for them to force everyone else to accept their moral positions.

  10. #180
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform sick homosexual mockeries of marriages?

    so two people so far came right out and admitted that they fear the illogical lunacy of churches being forced

    no one else?

    and no one has given any sound reasoning yet? i wonder why . .
    does anybody have any?

    does anybody have any thats just gonna make rights, the law, the constitution and the countless court precedents magically disappear?
    i love when illogical fear tactics and conspiracy theories crash and burn and people dont even have the guts to try and back them up
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •