View Poll Results: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    25 15.34%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    31 19.02%
  • Im not American, yes.

    7 4.29%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    45 27.61%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    40 24.54%
  • Im not American, no.

    15 9.20%
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 304

Thread: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

  1. #141
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    In the case here the baker could bake the other cakes to.

    That's case "here", as in this thread, is about Churches not bakers.

    But your right, bakers have a line of products they can produce. Therefore choosing not to bake wedding cakes (since if a good or service is not offered to the general public Public Accommodation laws don't apply) means the baker would not be forced out of the profession as you claimed.


    >>>>

  2. #142
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post



    We hear much about gay marriage these days, both in the media and in politics. However, many religions (not just Christians) are expressly against gay marriage. There are exceptions, but in general that is the current situation.

    Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    My thoughts TK.
    Here again yet another poll where you do not give Independents or Centrists an opportunity to vote.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  3. #143
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post



    We hear much about gay marriage these days, both in the media and in politics. However, many religions (not just Christians) are expressly against gay marriage. There are exceptions, but in general that is the current situation.

    Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    My thoughts TK.
    Absolutely not. It's entirely up to the Church as to whether or not they want to perform those ceremonies. It cannot be forced with government guns.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #144
    Educator

    WillyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    To me it seems a queer way of thinking. We decided that saying a prayer and protecting the country do not override contientious objection, while selling a cake does.
    I'm sorry I don't know how to explain it any more clearly. Being religious doesn't make a person immune to local and state law.

    I'm not tracking the prayer example. Do you mean school prayer? Isn't that compelling someone to pray?

    When "protecting the country" can potentially mean being ordered to commit violence, surely a moral objection makes sense to some.

  5. #145
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform sick homosexual mockeries of marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    OK, still not sure where your confusion comes in. Laws are not a violation of the constitution, nor are business regulations. Being religious does not exempt you from those laws. The first amendment does not mean that the government cannot enforce laws that people claim are against there religion.
    Laws are a violation of the Constitution when they violate the Constitution. Being the owner of a business does not exempt government from being required to refrain from violating your Constitutional rights.

    The First Amendment does, in fact, mean exactly that government may not enact nor enforce laws which deprive any person of the rights affirmed in the First Amendment.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  6. #146
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,910

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform gay marriages?

    No, they should not.

    Where are all these other "left-yes" votes coming from? More than 20 in the poll, but just one named poster.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #147
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform sick homosexual mockeries of marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Laws are a violation of the Constitution when they violate the Constitution. Being the owner of a business does not exempt government from being required to refrain from violating your Constitutional rights.

    The First Amendment does, in fact, mean exactly that government may not enact nor enforce laws which deprive any person of the rights affirmed in the First Amendment.
    Again, being religious does not exempt one from the law, nor does it make laws that regulate business unconstitutional. Read this next part carefully, it is the point you continue to try and not address: You do not get to declare that your religion does not allow you to follow the law. If you open a for profit business(as opposed to a church), then you are agreeing to abide by the regulations for that business. Being religious does not change that.

    By the way, just to make this point again, the thread is about churches, I wonder why you are trying so hard to talk about something other than churches? Bet I predicted this earlier...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #148
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform sick homosexual mockeries of marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Again, being religious does not exempt one from the law, nor does it make laws that regulate business unconstitutional. Read this next part carefully, it is the point you continue to try and not address: You do not get to declare that your religion does not allow you to follow the law. If you open a for profit business(as opposed to a church), then you are agreeing to abide by the regulations for that business. Being religious does not change that.

    By the way, just to make this point again, the thread is about churches, I wonder why you are trying so hard to talk about something other than churches? Bet I predicted this earlier...
    The First Amendment makes no distinction between churches, and other organizations or individuals. The rights that it affirms belong to all. Government is not allowed to enact or enforce laws which violate these rights.

    Not only does the First Amendment not allow for government to pick and choose who may or may not be allowed these rights, but the Fourteenth Amendment rather explicitly forbids any such denial of equal protection under the law.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  9. #149
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform sick homosexual mockeries of marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    The First Amendment makes no distinction between churches, and other organizations or individuals. The rights that it affirms belong to all. Government is not allowed to enact or enforce laws which violate these rights.

    Not only does the First Amendment not allow for government to pick and choose who may or may not be allowed these rights, but the Fourteenth Amendment rather explicitly forbids any such denial of equal protection under the law.
    you keep repeating this unsupportable strawman but no facts support you
    history, the constitution, laws, facts and many court cases all prove your spin wrong . . remind us what you have on your side?
    we'll stick with facts
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #150
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Should churches be forced to perform sick homosexual mockeries of marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    The First Amendment makes no distinction between churches, and other organizations or individuals. The rights that it affirms belong to all. Government is not allowed to enact or enforce laws which violate these rights.

    Not only does the First Amendment not allow for government to pick and choose who may or may not be allowed these rights, but the Fourteenth Amendment rather explicitly forbids any such denial of equal protection under the law.
    Precisely. Religion is not "something you do in a church".

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •