View Poll Results: Should Alan Dershowitz be suspended from the practice of law?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 10.00%
  • No

    9 90.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 55

Thread: Should Alan Dershowitz be suspended from the practice of law?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should Alan Dershowitz be suspended from the practice of law?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Dershowitz has not been charged with a felony - nobody should be ''temporarily suspended" simply because someone chooses to sue them. Bill Clinton, a very high profile public figure, was sued but was not susupended from his job.
    It is a felony offense to have sex with a minor if the allegations are true. The point is this, if such allegations were made against a black NFL player, he would be suspended. My point is that is the result of an underlying racial stereotype about black NFL players being thugs that. Therefore, since both are public figures and role models, should not Alan Dershowitz held to the same standard as NFL players? Actually one would think that a person in such a respectable position as Dershowitz would be held to a higher standard. I think it is rather remarkable that we have higher standards for NFL players, than someone as intelligent as Dershowitz.

  2. #12
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Should Alan Dershowitz be suspended from the practice of law?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Seriously? I haven't been on much since Christmas so I missed that.

    Bait thread....my bad for now knowing it.
    Welcome back! I have been wondering where you were. Great to see you!
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should Alan Dershowitz be suspended from the practice of law?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    The op has been trying, since yesterday, to make the case that dershowitz is being treated better because he is white and Jewish, and that if he were black, he would lose his status and his job.
    And you madam, have been trying since yesterday, to defend the position that NFL players should be held to a higher standard than a high profile Jewish lawyer.

  4. #14
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,238

    Re: Should Alan Dershowitz be suspended from the practice of law?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Welcome back! I have been wondering where you were. Great to see you!
    Hope you had great holidays! We were away, busy, crazy...no time to play online.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #15
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,238

    Re: Should Alan Dershowitz be suspended from the practice of law?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    And you madam, have been trying since yesterday, to defend the position that NFL players should be held to a higher standard than a high profile Jewish lawyer.
    You don't like Dershowitz because he's Jewish?

    You're comparing apples to oranges. He's self-employed. NFL players work for the NFL. Just like any employer, the NFL has a right to suspend or terminate employment.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should Alan Dershowitz be suspended from the practice of law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    No way.

    For one: it's just an allegation at the moment.

    Have you read the reported 'situation' as she's filed suit? She claims she was kept as a sex slave by a billionaire and forced to have sex with men on his yacht all the time. Supposedly Dersh wsa one of the guys.

    If there's any slight drop of evidence it will go to court - and only if he's found guilty of these charges [along with the billionaire and god knows who else] then would it seem just to punish him in response.
    So do you feel that it is right for NFL players to be suspended for mere allegations only? Do you feel that NFL players should be held to a higher standard of conduct than a high profile person such as Dershowitz?

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should Alan Dershowitz be suspended from the practice of law?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You don't like Dershowitz because he's Jewish?
    No, that is what your friend lizzie would have you believe. But that's the way she is. Still like her tho. She can't help it.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You're comparing apples to oranges. He's self-employed. NFL players work for the NFL. Just like any employer, the NFL has a right to suspend or terminate employment.
    No I am not. Both are high profile public figures and role models. If anything, one would think that someone like Dershowitz would be held to a higher standard than an NFL player.

  8. #18
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,238

    Re: Should Alan Dershowitz be suspended from the practice of law?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    No, that is what your friend lizzie would have you believe. But that's the way she is. Still like her tho. She can't help it.



    No I am not. Both are high profile public figures and role models. If anything, one would think that someone like Dershowitz would be held to a higher standard than an NFL player.
    You're the one who keeps posting that Dershowitz is Jewish. Lizzie has nothing to do with what you keep posting. Own your posts.

    Dershowitz is a role model for who specifically?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #19
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,693

    Re: Should Alan Dershowitz be suspended from the practice of law?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    It is a felony offense to have sex with a minor if the allegations are true. The point is this, if such allegations were made against a black NFL player, he would be suspended. My point is that is the result of an underlying racial stereotype about black NFL players being thugs that. Therefore, since both are public figures and role models, should not Alan Dershowitz held to the same standard as NFL players? Actually one would think that a person in such a respectable position as Dershowitz would be held to a higher standard. I think it is rather remarkable that we have higher standards for NFL players, than someone as intelligent as Dershowitz.
    NFL personnel policy is not law and if the NFL made whistling in public into a taboo (suspendible?) act it would not "naturally" carry over into all of US society. Just get the silly thought out of your head that what the NFL adopts as its personnel policy somehow becomes "the law of the land".

    You wish to prove some nonsense premise (America and/or the NFL is racist?) by making this particular apples to cinder blocks comparison in yet another thread. Just as the bar association has no say in setting NFL policy/rules the NFL has no pull concerning the personnel policy for lawyers or any other public figures.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #20
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,205

    Re: Should Alan Dershowitz be suspended from the practice of law?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    It is alleged that Alan Dershowitz had sex with a minor, a felony. Dershowitz is a prominent public figure, he regularly appears on major network media as an expert, is a prominent and very vocal supporter of Israel, and is a high profile, liberal Jewish lawyer. Because he such a prominent public figure, he serves as a role model for youth.

    The think is this, NFL players are suspended for mere allegations of misconduct, and the reason given is that it is because they are public figures and therefore serve as role models for youth. However, although it is not officially stated, there is also the perception among the public that black NFL players are thugs which the NFL is trying to combat which is why they have implemented such harsh punishment for mere allegations.

    The question is therefore this, should not Alan Dershowitz be temporarily suspended from the practice of law since he is such a high profile public figure? Or is it that the underlying negative racial stereotypes about black NFL players have resulted in double standards?
    Again, apples and oranges, but I'll expand as below.

    The only relevant point, from my perspective, is whether or not Dershowitz is under criminal investigation or not and if he admits to the offense. As I understand it, even though you claim he has allegedly committed a felony, he's not been charged with anything - he's simply subject to a civil lawsuit. Civil lawsuits are a dime a dozen and complainant's lawyers are known to throw everything at the wall in the hope something sticks.

    And to be clear on your analogy, not all NFL players are immediately suspended when charges of domestic violence or other misconduct are made against them. If I'm not mistaken, a San Francisco 49ers player was still on the active roster while under investigation for domestic violence early this year. The two high profile cases - Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson - both involved players who admitted the "crime" or their part in the wrong-doing and there was either video or photographic evidence to back that up. What evidence is there against Dershowitz?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •