View Poll Results: Is the American left becoming more and more authoritarian?

Voters
786. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    58 7.38%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    25 3.18%
  • Im not American, yes.

    18 2.29%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    277 35.24%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    268 34.10%
  • Im not American, no.

    140 17.81%
Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 383

Thread: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

  1. #71
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Okay, I'm a left leaning American and I voted yes. For the most part American policies are more right authoritarian in nature no matter what party the President is under. For the past 8 decades the Democratic policies have been going far more right. Obama's top down educational policies are proof positive of that including many of his other policies like spying etc.....a true leftist would be a Bernie Sanders, certainly neither Obama or Hillary fit that bill.

  2. #72
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    A thread that fails in the very first post, AWESOME!

    Im independent and no
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #73
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    We hear from lefties how anyone who disagrees with them are racists, sexists, bigots, homophobes, etc-in other words modern lefty versions of the word heretic. The left declares what speech is appropriate (PC). They force Americans to engage in interstate commerce. They have also become increasingly violent, reference the recent officer involved shootings, occupy, etc. All with no new ideas-just rhetoric to explain their policy failures.

    There have even been calls to arrest those who disagree with them on global warming... Arrest Climate-Change Deniers

    We are told (by them) that "the debate is over".



    Is the left becoming more and more (nakedly) authoritarian?
    I am a left leaning American and I think you make your polls far too compicated. If you don't know whose is left or right leaning by now you arn't paying attention.


  4. #74
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Im discussing the lefts move towards authoritarianism and seeing who agrees. Seem's like a legitimate political topic to me.
    Your only example of left wing authoritarianism gone wild is what....interstate commerce? lol

    Yet, they aren't the ones trying to force the 'keystone pipeline' on states, tax payers and property owners that don't want or need it, are they?





    PS.... your poll seems to have gone wild. How is it possible that 330 people have voted on it since this morning and the overwhelming majority, both left and right say....."no" ?
    Last edited by Moot; 01-04-15 at 04:13 PM.

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    left / right is simplistic

    even the 2d "political compass" is too simplistic really, a 3d spectrum space would be more useful.


    but that said, if you replace "left" with "democrat", the answer would be yes; since the "right" (GOP) is pushing more authoritarian, the "left" must do so too to reach the "center"

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Except that within this thread the definition of "authoritarian" has been expanded to include any policy that Liberals want. So going by that expanded definition any policy that Conservatives want is de facto "authoritarian."

    It's a silly thread, though not surprising when you consider the source.
    this.

  7. #77
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Ever notice how the only times when the horrific boot of political correctness shoves down a brave conservative is when they're saying truly heinous things like accusing gays of being pedophiles, atheists of having no morals, scientists of being in a conspiracy, or Muslims of being a barbarian horde? Oh, and plenty of truly awful things about women. Seems like all you need to avoid the ire of the dread "PC police" is a little bit of decency.

    The criticisms of Obama continuing right wing authoritarian policies like Gitmo and surveillance are spot on, though. He disappoints his left leaning supporters by supporting conservative policies from time to time.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #78
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,999

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    I'd disagree that the present definition of "authoritarian" is anything that Liberals want.
    What's so authoritarian about let's say a carbon pollution reduction tax credit?
    However, a carbon cap and trade tax is far more authoritarian.

    Being "authoritarian" with a policy or proposal isn't a 'what' about the policy or proposal, it's the 'how' part of it.

    I agree with you that there are authoritarian elements or features in the policies and proposals that both parties support.

    I dislike authoritarian policies and proposals, full stop. Who want's their arm twisted?
    Of course the definition is not "what liberals want," but the way it's been used in this thread by many is that a conservative is forced "to accept" policies that liberals want and therefore is authoritarian.

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    No it favours what should be the "right wing" position. Personal liberty and accountability has always been part of the right. Not having government butt into personal lives at least use to be a right wing mantra.



    And the shoe fits. The pro life side is authoritarian as they want to dictate what people can and can not do with their own bodies.


    By that definition, a crying baby is authoritarian. Want to dictate and do dictate are two entirely different things.

    Not having government butt into personal lives in ways that abridge personal liberty is a Right wing mantra and that of the Founding Fathers as well. However, there are so many laws that encourage the abridgment of personal liberty that it really isn't much of a guarantee at this point. Given the restrictions of the demands of co-existing within a society, that is how it must be.

    However, the fact remains that there are almost no unabridged freedoms left to the individual in the USA right now. Almost nothing that can be done by one person that will not impact others and therefore needs to be regulated.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    In many ways it is. And that is not because of the left, but because of the right losing grip on power they have held for so long, both politically and socially. The right is a wounded animal and is doing everything it can to maintain its power base... and this includes everything from gerrymandering to backing openly racist members of congress.



    Nope they have not. But expanding.. not really. At best the actions of previous governments and present have been revealed which alters the perception that the programs have "expanded" under Obama, when in fact they are not much different than under Bush where they were enacted.



    Why on earth not?



    LOL it has everything to do with it. It has to do with how a country/government looks at and treats human beings. There is not much between having non Americans in a GITMO to having Americans in a GITMO. Now you can complain that the US government now targets US citizens working for the enemy... and you would be right, but who is not to say they have not done this before? The difference again is that under previous administrations there were relatively few leaks and admissions of guilt... now days, it is a whole other ball game thanks to people like Snowdon and Wikileaks.


    I notice that you selectively edited the part that the left has chosen to execute absent due process those who would have previously been imprisoned. Pretty slippery. Just a tad leftist.

    Your first comment regarding the race issue is non-sensical and not based in any kind of historical or current events facts.

    Your point is that the right is the bad guy. If the left is not doing anything in any way to reverse the acts of the right, they are complicit.

    Gitmo is not a device for dealing with the citizens of the US.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •