View Poll Results: Is the American left becoming more and more authoritarian?

Voters
786. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    58 7.38%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    25 3.18%
  • Im not American, yes.

    18 2.29%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    277 35.24%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    268 34.10%
  • Im not American, no.

    140 17.81%
Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 383

Thread: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

  1. #51
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Adding credibility to your OP, consider the fact the C.A.R.B., the evil twin to the EPA, is allowed to set environmental policy and standards that are far beyond those set on a national basis.

    Why? Because they go farther and effectively set national standards all citizens must live by, since, for example, a car company can't afford to manufacture vehicles under two different sets of standards.

    Normally, a separate set of environmental standards would not be allowed by a state, except liberals want the more controlling standards, so they allow a single state to establish what in effect becomes national policy.

    That can only be viewed as a liberal effort in a minority position imposing control on the unrepresented majority, whether they like it or not. Proof positive of their authoritarian views and objectives.
    Wait, wait, so you are saying that states should not be able to set their own policies based upon what is best for that state's citizen's interests, and instead those policies should be centralized and controlled by the federal government in a one size fits all solution.. This in a thread where the right winger in the OP is bitching about left wing authoritarianism. Oh the irony...
    Last edited by SouthernDemocrat; 01-04-15 at 11:20 AM.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #52
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,588

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    LOL it is the right that is becoming more and more authoritarian and has been for decades. Everything from denying rights to minorities to GITMO and the Patriot Act.. all acts by the American Taliban Right.

    You do know obama expanded domestic spying and the patriot act, right?


    GITMO closed yet?


    the republocrats are becoming more authoritatian.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    You thought that rhetoric and ridicule was a substantive OP. You set the bar at roughly tripping height to begin with.
    A Bar Cmon' now.


  4. #54
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Wait, wait, so you are saying that states should not be able to set their own policies based upon what is best for that state's citizen's interests, and instead those policies should be centralized and controlled by the federal government in a one size fits all solution.. This is a thread where the right winger in the OP is bitching about left wing authoritarianism. Oh the irony...
    The irony may be that you thought you understood something about federal standards, the relationship of those standards to state laws, and thought you could post something intelligent on the subject.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    This could also apply to the OP. Strange, isn't it?
    Nah 88 Sorry I just can't see USC working for BO peep.

  6. #56
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    No one is claiming that the government has the right to force a church to perform a same sex marriage. It's a straw man argument. The only time this issue even remotely came up was with a for profit wedding chapel in Idaho, not a church. Churches have always been free to recognize whatever marriages they choose. For example, if you divorce and remarry, the government will recognize your second marriage, but the Catholic Church will not. Similarly, if you live in a state that legally recognizes same sex marriage, the government will recognize that marriage while the local Pentecostal Church probably won't.

    I find it ironic that the right wingers are accusing the left of authoritarianism when Social Conservatism by its very definition is an authoritarian ideology.
    You are a little off on what happened with the Hitching Post chapel in Idaho. The full story ius hilarious and nothing at all like it was presented at first. It is a good example of claim a controversy because people never catch the fact checks. Here are the two most relevant articles:

    Legal hitch at Hitching Post - Coeur d'Alene Press: Local News

    Gridley wrote that his office has responded in the past to questions from the Knapps about their business - registered as a for-profit limited liability company with the Idaho Secretary of State's office. He admitted that the Knapps were told by his office that if a complaint was filed against them for refusing to provide service to gay individuals seeking to marry, they would likely be in violation of the city's ordinance, based on their corporate status.
    Violation of the anti-discrimination law is a misdemeanor with a fine as steep as $1,000, and as long as six months in jail.
    Gridley also noted that on Oct. 6, the Knapps filed an LLC operating agreement with the state indicating that the Hitching Post is a "religious organization." He told the Knapps' attorney in the letter that if the Knapps are "truly operating a not-for-profit religious corporation" they would be specifically exempted from the city ordinance.
    "Their lawsuit was something of a surprise because we have had cordial conversations with them in the past and they have never disclosed that they have recently become a religious corporation," Gridley wrote.
    And a little later: Hitching Post exempt - Coeur d'Alene Press: Local News

    A Massachusetts woman filed a complaint with Coeur d'Alene city police Thursday claiming she called the Hitching Post that morning and was refused a same-sex wedding.
    It was the first time the city's anti-discrimination ordinance was cited in a report to police. The ordinance makes denying employment, housing and other "public accommodations" based on sexual orientation a misdemeanor offense.


    "After reviewing the allegations and investigation, the (city) prosecutor has declined to pursue criminal charges because the Hitching Post is a religious corporation that is exempt from the city's anti-discrimination ordinance," states a press release issued Friday afternoon by the city's communications coordinator.
    So yeah, the Hitching Post chapel filed a lawsuit because they claimed they where being forced to do something that they where never forced to do. BUt that did not slow people down from still thinking a church had been forced to perform gay weddings...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #57
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    The OP sounds like extreme paranoia to me.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #58
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    The irony may be that you thought you understood something about federal standards, the relationship of those standards to state laws, and thought you could post something intelligent on the subject.
    An EPA standard creates a baseline standard. States and localities have always been free to establish more stringent environmental standards for areas in their jurisdiction if local conditions require stronger standards. To argue that all environmental policy should be centrally controlled by the federal government regardless of state and local conditions is the height of authoritarianism. For example, the federal Acid Rain Program set a federal baseline policy for mitigating acid rain. However, some states have much stronger controls than the federal government. Reason being is that those states tend to have a lot of granite and thus acidification of lakes and streams is a much bigger problem than in states with mostly limestone as the bedrock. A federal policy is still needed however because emissions cross state lines.

    Just because a state is large is irrelevant. For example, Texas buys a lot of textbooks so the choices in textbooks that the Texas Department of Education makes impacts smaller states. Should Texas not be able to decide which textbooks it wants to purchase?
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  9. #59
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    You do know obama expanded domestic spying and the patriot act, right?
    That is not true. He just continued what Bush already had implemented.

    GITMO closed yet?
    Hard to close when the GOP is blocking relocation efforts of the detainees.
    PeteEU

  10. #60
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Is the left becoming more and more authoritarian?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    An EPA standard creates a baseline standard. States and localities have always been free to establish more stringent environmental standards for areas in their jurisdiction if local conditions require stronger standards. To argue that all environmental policy should be centrally controlled by the federal government regardless of state and local conditions is the height of authoritarianism. For example, the federal Acid Rain Program set a federal baseline policy for mitigating acid rain. However, some states have much stronger controls than the federal government. Reason being is that those states tend to have a lot of granite and thus acidification of lakes and streams is a much bigger problem than in states with mostly limestone as the bedrock. A federal policy is still needed however because emissions cross state lines.

    Just because a state is large is irrelevant. For example, Texas buys a lot of textbooks so the choices in textbooks that the Texas Department of Education makes impacts smaller states. Should Texas not be able to decide which textbooks it wants to purchase?

    Is that so?

    Consider the example of motor vehicles, and how a single state is allowed to set what in effect becomes a national standard.

    Regulation of greenhouse gases under the Clean Air Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    State Regulation of Greenhouse Gases from Motor Vehicles

    With one exception, the responsibility for regulating emissions from new motor vehicles under the CAA rests with the EPA. Section 209(a) of the Act states in part: “No state or any political subdivision thereof shall adopt or attempt to enforce any standard relating to the control of emissions from new motor vehicles or new motor vehicle engines subject to this part.”[35] Section 209(b) of the Act provides for the exception; it grants the EPA the authority to waive this prohibition for any state that had adopted emissions standards for new motor vehicles or engines prior to March 30, 1966.[36] California is the only state that meets this eligibility requirement and is thus the only state in the nation, which can seek to obtain a waiver from the EPA.

    Note that the EPA originally denied California's attempt to set it's own standards. Once the current administration took power, and installed it's authoritarian leadership, the EPA changed it's position on the matter.

    Authoritarianism is at the heart of the liberal/progressive agenda. How else would the undefined "social justice" agenda be accomplished?

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •