View Poll Results: Is the United States a terrorist nation?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    69 33.66%
  • No

    68 33.17%
  • Other

    68 33.17%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 120

Thread: Is the United States a terrorist nation?

  1. #41
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Is the United States a terrorist nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I will disagree in the strongest possible terms (to satirize our leadership). We will discuss Libya. Highest GDP in Africa. Free housing. Free education through University. Free food. Free water in a desert environment. Now the USA decided that it's leader Qaddaffi is a no-good terrorist because he is teaching the Rest of Africa and donating Libyan money to do so, how to not be ensnared by USA Military and Corporate hegemony and get the best value from their resources (Africa, resource rich and lightly developed). Ergo, the USA cured the problem. We bombed the **** out of Libya. Killed Qaddaffi, quoth Hilary, "we came, we saw, he's dead." Now, we have created widespread chaos, mayhem, destruction and death in the African Nation previously having the highest GDP on the Continent. We've done this with intelligence from satellites, CIA, NSA, embassies, corporations, spies, politicians and military contractors, ergo our actions are intelligently conceived and orchestrated for precise and maximum effectiveness or we are a chaotic group of morons. Chaos, mayhem, destruction and death are TERRORISM and we planned it, and executed it with Ph.ds and the absolute best of technology and intelligence, ergo the results are as desired, not some accident. That makes us a TERRORIST STATE. The war of terror is very profitable, because now some Islamist types have oil well money and can afford to buy nice weapons from the greatest arms dealer in the World, the USA MIC, don't ya' know. Do the same thing in Syria, Iraq, and keep trying to do it in Russia, Iran, Venezuela, etc. and accuse those same groups of doing what we are doing for a good cover story, and the MSM will dutifully perform their stenographic functions reporting the Gov't supplied propaganda as perception management for the lackeys. We are without doubt a TERRORIST NATION because "War is good business, and business is good," and it is the business of the USA.
    I guess in a certain context you may have a point. I suppose if you exclusively define terrorism as "the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political or social purposes" then you could argue well that US activities all over the middle east could equate to terrorism. We might be able to argue that Iraq may never have been all that stable, but post our involvement the nation is far less stable currently involved in a multiple way multiple nation civil war. We could then argue that Afghanistan was never all that stable, and post our involvement they are still not all that stable with the original "enemy" still around (a people we once supported when they fought the Russians.) Egypt and Libya of course qualify under that argument as well, perhaps just not as directly as Iraq and Afghanistan.

    My initial reaction was based on the notion that how we characterize terrorism, with an inherent tie to some ideological extremism position on a matter. Religion or some other governmental position. Which is how some in the US get way with improperly characterizing right wing extremism as terrorism. But to your point we suggest our activities in the Middle East, Far East, and most of Africa come down to an ideological stance on how other nations should be ran (especially when we get a benefit out of the deal.) Our issue then becomes a collision of ideologies that are incompatible. If a nation leans majority to a flavor of Islam, it comes with a baked into the text mechanism for governmental control over the people all reporting up through "religious authority." In that sense alone, our actions could be looked at as trying to introduce western governmental thinking that cannot function in a society with such extreme positions on authority.

    So, in your opinion, does the business of warfare make us terrorists at the same level as religious ideological fanaticism does for "terror groups" all over the Middle East? Or more simply, does capitalistic driven warfare equate to killing in the name of religion? (And consider when answering that ideology, in any regard, tends to not like competition.)
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  2. #42
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Is the United States a terrorist nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    I would not say we are a terrorist nation, just a nation with a hypocritical and confusing foreign policy that tends to upset plenty of people around the globe. On top of that we tend to act with a certain superiority in telling others what they should and should not be doing, and going so far as to introduce ideologies into cultures that have no room for those ideologies.

    The method of our warfare I would argue is diminished in comparison to say Vietnam going back. A good example for that argument is to end WWII with Japan, and to avoid a costly land invasion, we opted to drop atomic bombs on civilians. Enemies yes, but civilian cities with unknown total impact. Something we would not entertain as an option today unless we were talking in nuclear war terms.

    We may still kill innocents much to much, we may still engage in plenty of action that is questionable by UN resolutions or international agreements, and we may do plenty to our own citizens in questionable Constitutional terms... but I would still not go so far as to call the US a terrorist nation.
    Hiroshima was home to two army headquarters. The command and control for the two armies responsible for the defense of the mainland was destroyed.

    Granted, Nagasaki was less important, but it still had value as a major sea port and housed 9,000 troops, it wasn't chosen only to inflict civilian casualties. Kokura--the primary target--was chosen because it was the location of a major arsenal works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #43
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Is the United States a terrorist nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Hiroshima was home to two army headquarters. The command and control for the two armies responsible for the defense of the mainland was destroyed.

    Granted, Nagasaki was less important, but it still had value as a major sea port and housed 9,000 troops, it wasn't chosen only to inflict civilian casualties. Kokura--the primary target--was chosen because it was the location of a major arsenal works.
    I explained this later in this very thread.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  4. #44
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:50 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,310

    Re: Is the United States a terrorist nation?

    [QUOTE=OrphanSlug;1064153760]I guess in a certain context you may have a point. I suppose if you exclusively define terrorism as "the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political or social purposes" then you could argue well that US activities all over the middle east could equate to terrorism. We might be able to argue that Iraq may never have been all that stable, but post our involvement the nation is far less stable currently involved in a multiple way multiple nation civil war. We could then argue that Afghanistan was never all that stable, and post our involvement they are still not all that stable with the original "enemy" still around (a people we once supported when they fought the Russians.) Egypt and Libya of course qualify under that argument as well, perhaps just not as directly as Iraq and Afghanistan.

    My initial reaction was based on the notion that how we characterize terrorism, with an inherent tie to some ideological extremism position on a matter. Religion or some other governmental position. Which is how some in the US get way with improperly characterizing right wing extremism as terrorism. But to your point we suggest our activities in the Middle East, Far East, and most of Africa come down to an ideological stance on how other nations should be ran (especially when we get a benefit out of the deal.) Our issue then becomes a collision of ideologies that are incompatible. If a nation leans majority to a flavor of Islam, it comes with a baked into the text mechanism for governmental control over the people all reporting up through "religious authority." In that sense alone, our actions could be looked at as trying to introduce western governmental thinking that cannot function in a society with such extreme positions on authority.

    So, in your opinion, does the business of warfare make us terrorists at the same level as religious ideological fanaticism does for "terror groups" all over the Middle East? Or more simply, does capitalistic driven warfare equate to killing in the name of religion? (And consider when answering that ideology, in any regard, tends to not like competition.)[/QUOTE]

    I see CORPORATISM where you compare to Catholicism, Islamism, Buddhism, Mohammedism, and absolutely YES when Corporatism and the pursuit of PROFIT results in chaos, mayhem, destructism and/or death in the name of religion. It's the same thing. I see Ukraine as Monsanto, Cargill, Chevron, Haliburton, IMF, World Bank, etc. as creating insurrection and instability to create profit centers through privatisation. Fundamentalists have grabbed a few oil wells and the attendant cash flow that goes with that, so now they are targets of marketing departments to get their cash and voila, who would have suspected, voila, they want weapons. Gotta find an arms dealer to trade these oil well cash piles for something useful like an anti tank weapon or a ground to air missile and the salesmen are all over place like we're a marketing opportunity. Coinky-dink, my ass.

  5. #45
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,492

    Re: Is the United States a terrorist nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Hiroshima was home to two army headquarters. The command and control for the two armies responsible for the defense of the mainland was destroyed.

    Granted, Nagasaki was less important, but it still had value as a major sea port and housed 9,000 troops, it wasn't chosen only to inflict civilian casualties. Kokura--the primary target--was chosen because it was the location of a major arsenal works.
    Hiroshima was indeed a warranted target as you've listed, as well as a transport hub. Some historians assert the the Americans had misleading information about the importance of Nagasaki due to deliberate dis-information by the Imperial High Command.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  6. #46
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Is the United States a terrorist nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Hiroshima was indeed a warranted target as you've listed, as well as a transport hub. Some historians assert the the Americans had misleading information about the importance of Nagasaki due to deliberate dis-information by the Imperial High Command.
    The fact is: the notion that neither target had any military significance is false.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #47
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,492

    Re: Is the United States a terrorist nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I will disagree in the strongest possible terms (to satirize our leadership). We will discuss Libya. Highest GDP in Africa. Free housing. Free education through University. Free food. Free water in a desert environment. Now the USA decided that it's leader Qaddaffi is a no-good terrorist because he is teaching the Rest of Africa and donating Libyan money to do so, how to not be ensnared by USA Military and Corporate hegemony and get the best value from their resources (Africa, resource rich and lightly developed). Ergo, the USA cured the problem. We bombed the **** out of Libya. Killed Qaddaffi, quoth Hilary, "we came, we saw, he's dead." Now, we have created widespread chaos, mayhem, destruction and death in the African Nation previously having the highest GDP on the Continent. We've done this with intelligence from satellites, CIA, NSA, embassies, corporations, spies, politicians and military contractors, ergo our actions are intelligently conceived and orchestrated for precise and maximum effectiveness or we are a chaotic group of morons. Chaos, mayhem, destruction and death are TERRORISM and we planned it, and executed it with Ph.ds and the absolute best of technology and intelligence, ergo the results are as desired, not some accident. That makes us a TERRORIST STATE. The war of terror is very profitable, because now some Islamist types have oil well money and can afford to buy nice weapons from the greatest arms dealer in the World, the USA MIC, don't ya' know. Do the same thing in Syria, Iraq, and keep trying to do it in Russia, Iran, Venezuela, etc. and accuse those same groups of doing what we are doing for a good cover story, and the MSM will dutifully perform their stenographic functions reporting the Gov't supplied propaganda as perception management for the lackeys. We are without doubt a TERRORIST NATION because "War is good business, and business is good," and it is the business of the USA.


    Add Cuba to that list.

    From Wiki:
    Common definitions of terrorism refer only to those violent acts that are intended to create fear (terror); are perpetrated for a religious, political, or ideological goal and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (e.g., neutral military personnel or civilians). Some definitions now include acts of unlawful violence and war. The use of similar tactics by criminal organizations for protection rackets or to enforce a code of silence is usually not labeled terrorism, though these same actions may be labeled terrorism when done by a politically motivated group. Usage of the term has also been criticized for its frequent undue equating with Islamism or jihadism, while ignoring non-Islamic organizations or individuals.
    It can be said that the US actions in Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan are ideological and semi-religious. There is no doubt there is an attempt to strike terror in the hearts of a third world people "shock and awe", but it cannot be argued that the US has "deliberately targeted" civilians. The question becomes whether the US has "disregarded the safety of non-combatants", as the proof is "classified" for "national security reasons".

    As in all war, history belongs to the victor, or the super power that can claim success amid the failures of Vietnam, Iraq, Syria, Libya etc.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  8. #48
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,492

    Re: Is the United States a terrorist nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The fact is: the notion that neither target had any military significance is false.
    It's also ****ing pointless. It was almost 70 years ago and has absolutely NO bearing on US foreign policy today other than a likely deeper respect word wide for what the bomb can do.

    I had a very good friend who was a child in Japan during the war. Neither he nor I ever argued that neither city was a legitimate target, but we both have argued that the second bombing was not needed, the FDR typically acted out of incompetence.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  9. #49
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,492

    Re: Is the United States a terrorist nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    I guess in a certain context you may have a point. I suppose if you exclusively define terrorism as "the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political or social purposes" then you could argue well that US activities all over the middle east could equate to terrorism. We might be able to argue that Iraq may never have been all that stable, but post our involvement the nation is far less stable currently involved in a multiple way multiple nation civil war. We could then argue that Afghanistan was never all that stable, and post our involvement they are still not all that stable with the original "enemy" still around (a people we once supported when they fought the Russians.) Egypt and Libya of course qualify under that argument as well, perhaps just not as directly as Iraq and Afghanistan.

    My initial reaction was based on the notion that how we characterize terrorism, with an inherent tie to some ideological extremism position on a matter. Religion or some other governmental position. Which is how some in the US get way with improperly characterizing right wing extremism as terrorism. But to your point we suggest our activities in the Middle East, Far East, and most of Africa come down to an ideological stance on how other nations should be ran (especially when we get a benefit out of the deal.) Our issue then becomes a collision of ideologies that are incompatible. If a nation leans majority to a flavor of Islam, it comes with a baked into the text mechanism for governmental control over the people all reporting up through "religious authority." In that sense alone, our actions could be looked at as trying to introduce western governmental thinking that cannot function in a society with such extreme positions on authority.

    So, in your opinion, does the business of warfare make us terrorists at the same level as religious ideological fanaticism does for "terror groups" all over the Middle East? Or more simply, does capitalistic driven warfare equate to killing in the name of religion? (And consider when answering that ideology, in any regard, tends to not like competition.)


    As in the fact Homeland security has never issued less than a yellow alert since 911, never green.

    By maintaining a fear, you aggravate the fear, and create monsters in the minds of the people. FFS you have armed militia on Canadian border crossings brandishing assault rifles because of the "war on terror", in the likely event [to them] they may be overwhelmed by maple syrup at any instant.

    Your emails and texts are being monitored, your phone calls tracked in the deepest penetration of civil rights in the history of democracy, putting to shame the spying China does on its people. All in the name of "terrorists" who never die off, never reduce in numbers, always loose battles, but never get conquered.

    That's a perfect creation for the Military Industrial Complex, guaranteeing profits for decades already with projections it will take four or five more. In other words some people's entire lifetimes.

    What better gift to the people who financed the politicians than to ensure public oriented profits for nearly a century?
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  10. #50
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:04 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,217

    Re: Is the United States a terrorist nation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    A lovely ideal, but the world isn't very cooperative for it. Ask ISIS how they feel about implementing non-violent solutions. Get back to us with their answer... assuming they don't lop off your head just for being there...
    Right, so because the terrorists aren't being non-violent, we shouldn't either! Last I heard the US was supposed to be an international leader, not a follower. It's precisely because ISIS are violent that we should strive to be different.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I saw that John Oliver episode where local Pakistani citizens were saying they were afraid of blue skies because that's when drones would be out and about and start blowing **** up. So is the United States a terrorist nation? I don't know, but if that segment was anything to go by we're certainly terrorizing the bejeezus out of normal people over there.
    But, they live in Pakistan so that means they have to be terrorists. They deserve it, right?
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •