Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 90

Thread: Have you Read Dreams From My Father By Barack Obama?

  1. #31
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Have you Read Dreams From My Father By Barack Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    Yes, the original argument you replied to was a sweeping generalization (dictor simplicitor).
    Okay. Not my argument. Continue.

    Yes, you put words into my mouth and built your strawman argument by responding as if I had said that only moderates had the capacity to be open-minded or rational.
    I have no idea who you are. You called me a close-minded pull-string doll. I responded by educating you that moderates don't have a lock on open-mindedness or rationality.

    I am assuming you didn't remove the remainder of the quote and that I had edited it for clarity after you started your response; I think the rest of the post you quoted provides enough information so as to have avoided this outcome.
    Sorry, I don't go back and read people's posts after I read them, in order to catch their edits. You are not special to me. I do not give you that level of attention.

  2. #32
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Have you Read Dreams From My Father By Barack Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    I find it amusing you assume that people "hate" them both equally.
    I don't assume. Many people have said so, claiming to be moderate.

    However, I also think it is naive and illogical to assume that someone can't be a moderate if they dislike Obama's policies as much as or more than Bush's. Strikes me as a sort of "no true Scotsman" statement.
    Maybe I am naive. I operate under the assumption that people dislike multi-trillion dollar wars based on lies, costing thousands of American lives, more than anything Obama has done.

  3. #33
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Have you Read Dreams From My Father By Barack Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Yeah right. Do you say the same thing when a republican lies?
    Absolutely!


  4. #34
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Have you Read Dreams From My Father By Barack Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Okay. Not my argument. Continue.

    I have no idea who you are. You called me a close-minded pull-string doll. I responded by educating you that moderates don't have a lock on open-mindedness or rationality.

    Sorry, I don't go back and read people's posts after I read them, in order to catch their edits. You are not special to me. I do not give you that level of attention.
    Please go back and read it. It's not personal. I was simply answering your question. I didn't realize that clarifying his remarks would offend you. Your response(s) played exactly into how he was portaying you and I responded with sarcam before editting my message with the intention of clarifying that I hold no ill-will against you.

  5. #35
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Have you Read Dreams From My Father By Barack Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Only someone to the left of Chairman Mao would think that. You do realize this isn't Europe, right? Just checking.
    Please explain what Obama has done that put his in the "very liberal" category then....

    --Oh and to answer the question. No I have not read it, nor do I plan on it. Also never got the some people on the right with their obsession about this book... I mean a lot of right wing conspiracy theorists uphold it as proof that Obama is some sort of "socialist, nazi, communist, muslim" or something...--


  6. #36
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,220
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Have you Read Dreams From My Father By Barack Obama?



    I did not ask, if you think Obama is a liberal or not. I asked if you read his book. Please stop hijacking this thread for that discussion. You can say however, that you felt no need to read it because you expect nothing else from him, so why bother reading it. The next person can then go out to his book and point out factual information inside the book to prove the other person wrong. It is clear from this thread that no one has read the book, so really you cannot do the last part. Just say you didn't read the book. That's all I care about on this thread!!! That's how you can stay on topic in this discussion going forward.

    Thank you and play fairly.
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

  7. #37
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,220
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Have you Read Dreams From My Father By Barack Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Please explain what Obama has done that put his in the "very liberal" category then....

    --Oh and to answer the question. No I have not read it, nor do I plan on it. Also never got the some people on the right with their obsession about this book... I mean a lot of right wing conspiracy theorists uphold it as proof that Obama is some sort of "socialist, nazi, communist, muslim" or something...--
    Can I ask why you didn't read it?

    I am aware of, and I am not sure if those right wingers have read it or not my guess is that they probably didn't and that I am probably the only registered member of my party that has. So I am just wondering with your political persuasions why you didn't.
    Last edited by NeverTrumpGOP; 01-04-15 at 09:39 PM.
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

  8. #38
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,220
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Have you Read Dreams From My Father By Barack Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    It has absolutely NO appeal for me. First, the title is meaningless, ..."dreams FROM my father...?

    Second, too many contenders write books...my first was Kennedy's "Advise and Consent" a boring, lugubrious affair seemingly intended to make Jack look like a brilliant lawmaker instead of a spoiled playboy. They are usually no more than brag sheets.

    I tend not to read autobiographies at all, and read biographies instead.

    The rushes published in the media were boring and showed me enough; Obama uses the word "I" far too much, misleads, over sells himself and is the biggest egotist I've experienced through 12 presidents. Why would anyone read more boasting and self promotion?
    Thanks for actually answering my question and staying on topic. I really hate reading mindless off topic political noise on forums. Though, I admit, I thought Obama's book was halfly that myself! But at least you talked about books in your response. Some of these,
    Last edited by NeverTrumpGOP; 01-04-15 at 09:47 PM.
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

  9. #39
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,220
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Have you Read Dreams From My Father By Barack Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    I think someone on this forum struggled to count six lies, the biggest lie being that you get to keep your health insurance (which was actually the doing of the health insurance companies trying to meet the new minimum standards for coverage).

    That's hardly pathological, especially when compared to previous presidents.
    This thread is not to disprove someone's opinion that Obama lies. This thread is asking the question of whether or not people have read Obama's book. You didn't answer the question in your first post here. Did you read it or not?
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

  10. #40
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,220
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Have you Read Dreams From My Father By Barack Obama?

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Lol, here's four pages from that conservative stalwart "Politifact".

    All False statements involving Barack Obama | PolitiFact
    Is this politifact about Obama's book only?? NO! Please stay on topic and answer the question. Thanks. But I believe I already know your answer based on your profile hehe
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •