View Poll Results: Does owning a hand gun for protection make you more safe or less safe?

Voters
2617. You may not vote on this poll
  • More Safe

    179 6.84%
  • Less Safe

    1,781 68.06%
  • I don't know

    338 12.92%
  • Other

    319 12.19%
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 276

Thread: Does owning a hand gun for protection make you more safe or less safe?

  1. #231
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,592

    Re: Does owning a hand gun for protection make you more safe or less safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by michijo View Post
    I have nothing against gun ownership. On the other hand, lately it seems that many Americans use gun rights as a way to hold the USA hostage. They want to hold a gun to everyones' head by pretending to merely be complaining for gun rights. What I suspect they want is a hostile takeover and to follow Pol Pot's idea for Cambodia inside America, force everyone into an agrarian lifestyle, set landmines everywhere to blow our legs off, then set up sanctions so we are all near death in understaffed hospitals without enough medicine.
    in more than 9 years on this board, I have seen tons of hysterically loony comments about gun owners and gun ownership. some come from big government fan boys who pretend that anyone who wants the same defensive weaponry as civilian police officers do so for the reason that such gun owners want to kill police officers. but this claim of yours comparing gun owners with a communist gun banner like Pol Pot might take the award.



  2. #232
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,592

    Re: Does owning a hand gun for protection make you more safe or less safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    What else would you expect of those who have an agenda that they know damn well cannot be successfuly promoted honestly, but only through lies and deception?
    dishonesty is the bedrock foundation of the anti gun movement. the dishonesty comes from the fraudulent claim that crime control is what motivates their jihad against the rights of Americans



  3. #233
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Does owning a hand gun for protection make you more safe or less safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Walmart has really nothing to do with the story, that "accident" could happen anywhere, its the gun that is the issue not her little boy. I support her right to have a hand gun with her, however I think far too many people have them to feel a false sense of security. Trayvon Martin probably would be alive today if Zimmerman didn't have a gun with him. I don't own a gun and would not let one in our home unless it was a police officer that had it. My bother owned a gun and his grandson found it and committed suicide with it.
    1st - Thanks for showing that you just did a knee jerk reaction rather than even bothering to read my (strangely short) post. My point wasn't about Walmart.

    2nd - Your original point indicated NOTHING to do with "false sense of security". Your random personal anecdotes or your predictions also don't edit your point. Your original post I respond to was this:

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    The woman who was shot and killed by her two-year-old son at a Walmart in Idaho wasn't safe, if she didn't take her gun she would be alive today. She was less safe.
    The ONLY argument you put forth there is that "If she didn't take her gun she would be alive today". That is the ONLY argument you put forth there. The logic of that argument is that without [x] then [y] would happen.

    That exact same logic could be used to say that without her 2 year old there (the [x] in this case) she would be alive today (the [y]).

    My statement regarding your "logic" in that post was dead on, and nothing you posted argues against that. The ONLY argument you actually made in that original post was that if ONE particular thing was different (not having the gun) than she'd be alive, and THEREFORE she as less safe.

    My statement about her two year old used that exact same logic; and you've yet to show how that's not the case.

    Now, if you want to admit that you were overly simplistic and hyperbolic in your initial comment and reasoning...and then add additional caveats and reasoning as to why she's "less safe" then be my guest. But if you want to ignore the fact that your original logic was amazingly broad and questionable, while trying to add a bunch of additional caveats and notions that you didn't actually claim onto it, then don't be surprised when you're called on such bull****.

  4. #234
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Does owning a hand gun for protection make you more safe or less safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    1st - Thanks for showing that you just did a knee jerk reaction rather than even bothering to read my (strangely short) post. My point wasn't about Walmart.

    2nd - Your original point indicated NOTHING to do with "false sense of security". Your random personal anecdotes or your predictions also don't edit your point. Your original post I respond to was this:



    The ONLY argument you put forth there is that "If she didn't take her gun she would be alive today". That is the ONLY argument you put forth there. The logic of that argument is that without [x] then [y] would happen.

    That exact same logic could be used to say that without her 2 year old there (the [x] in this case) she would be alive today (the [y]).

    My statement regarding your "logic" in that post was dead on, and nothing you posted argues against that. The ONLY argument you actually made in that original post was that if ONE particular thing was different (not having the gun) than she'd be alive, and THEREFORE she as less safe.

    My statement about her two year old used that exact same logic; and you've yet to show how that's not the case.

    Now, if you want to admit that you were overly simplistic and hyperbolic in your initial comment and reasoning...and then add additional caveats and reasoning as to why she's "less safe" then be my guest. But if you want to ignore the fact that your original logic was amazingly broad and questionable, while trying to add a bunch of additional caveats and notions that you didn't actually claim onto it, then don't be surprised when you're called on such bull****.
    Okay, my initial reaction was overly simplistic, but you reducing it to x and y is even worse. We are talking about a woman's life, not some math or logic problem. So even though your logic is the same, I am talking about human lives, not logic. The woman could have stopped taking her gun on trips to the store, but realistically she could not stop taking her son.

    What makes this worse is that she was a gun advocate, not some willy nilly who happen to buy a gun. Her husband gave her a gift for Christmas that supposedly made the gun more safe.

    I don't believe carrying a gun make you more safe. I don't think most people who carry them should as they're quite often used against them. Of course if the person had threats against their life, I would drop that.

    I feel bad for her son, who probably will grow up knowing he killed his mother. Hopefully he'll growup well adjusted, but somehow I doubt he will.


  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Carolina del Norte
    Last Seen
    07-06-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    750
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Does owning a hand gun for protection make you more safe or less safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    in more than 9 years on this board, I have seen tons of hysterically loony comments about gun owners and gun ownership. some come from big government fan boys who pretend that anyone who wants the same defensive weaponry as civilian police officers do so for the reason that such gun owners want to kill police officers. but this claim of yours comparing gun owners with a communist gun banner like Pol Pot might take the award.
    The Khmer Rouge had plenty of guns just like you. All they need is a Confederate Battle Flag. I'm going to start calling the Stars and Bars flag the "Red Khmer".

    Does owning a hand gun for protection make you more safe or less safe?-kr-celebrate-fall-pp-585x394-jpg

    http://www.whale.to/b/colhoun.html
    ...relief organizations supplied the Khmer Rouge resistance movement with food and medicines.... In the Fall of 1979 the Khmer Rouge were the most desperate of all the refugees who came to the Thai-Kampuchean border. Throughout l900, however, their health rapidly improved, and relief organizations began questioning the legitimacy of feeding them. The Khmer Rouge. . . having regained strength...had begun actively fighting the Vietnamese. The relief organizations considered supporting the Khmer Rouge inconsistent with their humanitarian goals.... Yet Thailand, the country that hosted the relief operation, and the U.S. government, which funded the bulk of the relief operations, insisted that the Khmer Rouge be fed.
    Last edited by michijo; 01-05-15 at 11:12 PM.

  6. #236
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,592

    Re: Does owning a hand gun for protection make you more safe or less safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by michijo View Post
    The Khmer Rouge had plenty of guns just like you. All they need is a Confederate Battle Flag. I'm going to start calling the Stars and Bars flag the "Red Khmer". On the Side of Pol Pot: U.S. Supports Khmer Rouge

    Does owning a hand gun for protection make you more safe or less safe?-kr-celebrate-fall-pp-585x394-jpg
    yawn, typical far left gun hater silliness



  7. #237
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Carolina del Norte
    Last Seen
    07-06-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    750
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Does owning a hand gun for protection make you more safe or less safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    yawn, typical far left gun hater silliness
    I'm not a gun hater. I want the normal folks in El Salvador and Nicaragua and all such lands that are or were oppressed by dictatorships to have guns so they can fight the American government that seeks to oppress them through anti-union capitalist domination of their natural resources. I would gladly donate money to Mayan Indian civilians in El Salvador, so they can have the guns they need to fight against American domination. if these normal folks dont have guns, the US or CIA might back a junta against them and they can all be killed. Their priests will be killed like ”scar Romero, who was killed by people trained at the School of the Americas in the state of Georgia.

    Does owning a hand gun for protection make you more safe or less safe?-gallery222-jpg

  8. #238
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,880

    Re: Does owning a hand gun for protection make you more safe or less safe?

    Ummm, who are the "normal people" in El Salvador? And have you ever been there?

  9. #239
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Does owning a hand gun for protection make you more safe or less safe?

    I don't know about anyone else, but I always feel less safe being armed than not. I mean, why would anyone want to be able to defend himself against an armed attack, when he could just stand there like a good victim?

  10. #240
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,592

    Re: Does owning a hand gun for protection make you more safe or less safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by michijo View Post
    I'm not a gun hater. I want the normal folks in El Salvador and Nicaragua and all such lands that are or were oppressed by dictatorships to have guns so they can fight the American government that seeks to oppress them through anti-union capitalist domination of their natural resources. I would gladly donate money to Mayan Indian civilians in El Salvador, so they can have the guns they need to fight against American domination. if these normal folks dont have guns, the US or CIA might back a junta against them and they can all be killed. Their priests will be killed like ”scar Romero, who was killed by people trained at the School of the Americas in the state of Georgia.

    Does owning a hand gun for protection make you more safe or less safe?-gallery222-jpg
    do you have a che poster and a beret?

    USA ‹ber alles!!



Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •