View Poll Results: Do you support the NYPD work stoppage?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, teach the mayor and protesters a lesson

    31 18.45%
  • No, but officers refuse to any action with personal risks

    74 44.05%
  • No, work stoppage as a political tactic is not acceptable

    55 32.74%
  • IDK/Other

    8 4.76%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 170

Thread: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for mor

  1. #21
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,721

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I wonder what would happen if law abiding, pro-police people held their own march down MLK Blvd., protesting black violence/crime?

    Naw.....

    They could carry signs and chant "Black lives matter! Black lives matter!"

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Asking police to enforce tax laws in NYC is pretty ridiculous, too. Remember, it's not either of us who's tasked with taking the flak that might arise for writing a parking ticket for someone with a chip on his or her shoulder, and looking for an incident to exploit. Once a police officer initiates enforcement of such a minor offense, the reaction of the apprehended citizen is largely beyond the police officer's control, as in the Garner case. It's better to focus on the real dangerous offenders in which the enforcement effort is more appreciated.
    You may be right, not claiming you're wrong. However, in my opinion, a law is a law. I think an officer has every right, and SHOULD, enforce any laws they witness being broken. However, the officers want to lax up a bit and just enforce bigger laws, I'll support it. I just don't want them doing it in fear of the savages that murder cops. I want them to do it for the citizens of their district.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,020

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Given that the NYPD has adopted 'wartime policing' in which they are dispatching double the man power for every call out, is this really any sort of surprise?
    The "wartime policing" is, in fact, their slowdown tactics.

    Go read it again. Not doing the small stuff, requiring lots of officers to respond, etc etc.


    A work stoppage? Has the NYPD declared a strike? Don't think so.
    Think again. They're engaged in a work slowdown.

    By the way, the police union is also actively engaged in, yes, collective bargaining with the city over their contracts and pay.


    Is it really a work stoppage? Doesn't seem to be to me. Why does it seem to be to you?
    Because the union sent out a memo basically telling officers to slow down, in order to gum up the works.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,020

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    The reason police are required to have back up while conducting things like traffic stops or small searches, is because of the frequency of them being killed in routine traffic stops when backup wasn't present.
    I'm sorry, but that's insanely wrong.

    The NYPD hasn't lost an officer in a traffic stop since 2007. In fact, the NYPD hadn't lost an officer since 2011, until this month.

    It's a work slowdown. There's really no doubt about it.

    By the way, policing is not actually that dangerous. It's difficult and stressful, but doesn't even crack the top 10 most dangerous professions in the US.

  5. #25
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,267

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    You may be right, not claiming you're wrong. However, in my opinion, a law is a law. I think an officer has every right, and SHOULD, enforce any laws they witness being broken. However, the officers want to lax up a bit and just enforce bigger laws, I'll support it. I just don't want them doing it in fear of the savages that murder cops. I want them to do it for the citizens of their district.
    True, the laws are there for a reason. However, why should the NYC police force risk turning the city upside down with more protests which place police officers in higher danger all for the sake of writing minor traffic tickets and such in light of the reaction to the Garner incident? It's not a matter of fear. It's all about police protecting themselves from further racial tensions so that they can do their most essential jobs with necessary assets to get it done. If Joe Blow doesn't get a traffic ticket for going 40 in a 25 mph zone, no real harm is done - except that the city doesn't get the revenue and the courts aren't clogged up with junk. Besides, you and I both know that even if Joe Blow gets that ticket, two weeks from now he'll be doing 40 in the 25 mile zone again anyway - just like Garner had already been convicted 9 times for the very same thing that did him in.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's insanely wrong.

    The NYPD hasn't lost an officer in a traffic stop since 2007. In fact, the NYPD hadn't lost an officer since 2011, until this month.

    It's a work slowdown. There's really no doubt about it.
    I should have clarified. It began with the San Diego Sheriff's dept. Then the law spread nation-wide to prevent such attacks. It's a great deterrance.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    No, I don't support the NYPD in this matter. They are saying that if we don't let them kill people, they will kill NYC's cash cow, parking and traffic tickets. I think the Mayor should claim it has caused a cash shortfall and lay off about 25% of the NYPD due to lack of funds. You have to fight fire with fire.
    This isn't a response to anything but the politically motivated cold blooded murder of two of their police officers for no other reason than wearing the uniform.

    They are now ensuring they are put into dangerous situations as little as possible.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    True, the laws are there for a reason. However, why should the NYC police force risk turning the city upside down with more protests which place police officers in higher danger all for the sake of writing minor traffic tickets and such in light of the reaction to the Garner incident? It's not a matter of fear. It's all about police protecting themselves from further racial tensions so that they can do their most essential jobs with necessary assets to get it done. If Joe Blow doesn't get a traffic ticket for going 40 in a 25 mph zone, no real harm is done - except that the city doesn't get the revenue and the courts aren't clogged up with junk. Besides, you and I both know that even if Joe Blow gets that ticket, two weeks from now he'll be doing 40 in the 25 mile zone again anyway - just like Garner had already been convicted 9 times for the very same thing that did him in.
    I see your point and it's a good one, I just think that it's partially intimidation.

    What if Joe Blow is going 40 in a 25 past a police officer and doesn't get pulled over. A mile down the road a kid jumps out in the middle of the neighborhood road and is killed because the car was going 40. Had the officer enforced the laws, said child would have had a chance at life.

    That's my only reason for not fully agreeing with you. I do agree with your overall message though.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,496

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    The reason police are required to have back up while conducting things like traffic stops or small searches, is because of the frequency of them being killed in routine traffic stops when backup wasn't present. It happens so frequently they have to have back up. That's how ridiculous people are. Killing cops at frigging traffic stops.
    The two officers killed in NY were the first two killed in the line of duty in over three years. NYPD getting killed during routine traffic stops doesn't happen. Nor does it in Suffolk or Nassau counties where cops typically ride solo.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  10. #30
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,496

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Asking police to enforce tax laws in NYC is pretty ridiculous, too. Remember, it's not either of us who's tasked with taking the flak that might arise for writing a parking ticket for someone with a chip on his or her shoulder, and looking for an incident to exploit. Once a police officer initiates enforcement of such a minor offense, the reaction of the apprehended citizen is largely beyond the police officer's control, as in the Garner case. It's better to focus on the real dangerous offenders in which the enforcement effort is more appreciated.
    Armed NYPD officers typically DO NOT write parking tickets. They are typically written by Traffic Enforcement Agents, who we locals used to call "Brownies" because of the brown uniforms they used to wear. A couple of decades ago they, as well as the Transit Police, which was also a separate agency, became a part of the NYPD. Traffic Enforcement agents are not armed and do not, as far as I know, have police powers.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •