View Poll Results: Do you support the NYPD work stoppage?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, teach the mayor and protesters a lesson

    31 18.45%
  • No, but officers refuse to any action with personal risks

    74 44.05%
  • No, work stoppage as a political tactic is not acceptable

    55 32.74%
  • IDK/Other

    8 4.76%
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 170

Thread: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for mor

  1. #121
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Did they stop responding to calls? Otherwise many traffic (there's not a lot of speeding on NYC streets) and most parking issues are not public safety oriented. They bring in revenue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #122
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyJoe View Post
    Police officers are human and sometimes lie, too. The benefit of the doubt should go to citizens. The burden of proof should be on the state. Officers are actors on behalf of the state, and that's where they derive their authority. I believe most officers are good people. But I'd rather give my neighbors the benefit of the doubt.
    This is NOT the case of humans lying occasionally. This is the case of humans beings caught doing something they know will get them in trouble/inconvenience them/cost them money/get them jail time. Folks in these situations lie. You should know that by now.

  3. #123
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,006

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Of what I understand of it, I don't support the "broken windows" policy. By crime prevention I meant what I wrote. The effect of a stop and frisk program being highly publicized it hopefully for the goal that nothing illegal is ever found.
    From the very start, S&F had a very low arrest rate, and a very low gun seizure rate. The gun seizure rate over an 8-year period was 1 in 6000. Epic fail.


    The police likely still regularly frisk people who seem poise a danger. Instead, they likely just don't report it anymore.
    I don't think you understand the program.

    Stop & frisk doesn't mean the cops just frisk suspicious individuals. It's a policy where NYPD officers would target specific neighborhoods, and then stop and search anyone who fit a profile (which almost always came down to young and black or Hispanic). Over 80% of people caught in the dragnet were completely innocent -- not arrested or ticketed. At its peak, the NYPD was conducting over half a million searches. Since they were targeting specific neighborhoods, that means innocent people were getting repeatedly frisked.

    In addition, many of the few arrests they did make, they weren't supposed to make. In NYC, displaying marijuana is a misdemeanor (in addition to possession). The officers would frequently order individuals to turn out their pockets, and would pop the suspect for display. IIRC A federal court ordered them to stop that, too.

    NYPD officers still have discretion to stop suspicious individuals and frisk them. What they can't do is sweep into a minority neighborhood and treat everyone like they're guilty primarily because they are in a bad neighborhood, have brown skin and wear a hoodie.

  4. #124
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,680

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I answered your question directly. You don't appear to read the posts you quote. As for the rest, insult away, but know that your own posts reflect those qualities with regularity.


    You give as good as you get. Don't whine about it.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #125
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,006

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Nonsense. We weren't warned we'd be mugged visiting just any large city. NYC held that distinction. For the how they did it, read some Koch.
    Yes, I'm sure that NYC having a bad reputation matters far more than any actual statistical information, which clearly shows that national and NYC crime rates moved in tandem....


    Hard to nail down stats on traffic and minor violation stops (NOT the same as stop and frisk) that give up felony warranted individuals.
    Then why are you making the claim?

    Either you have the data to back up what you're saying, or you don't. And no, it shouldn't be hard to nail down these stats, at least not in medium-sized cities. Many use CompStat or similar systems, many who do publish the data.


    As for you number 2 point, silly. I didn't say traffic stops alone, but also stops for minor ordinance violations. My exact post was "Traffic stop and stop for minor violations". Interesting since you posted the quote that you would miss that.
    Actually, what happens in NYC is that people get stopped for minor violations, it escalates, and the police nail them for resisting arrest. (There are also indications that cops lie, sometimes brazenly, about the alleged resistance.) I'm certainly not aware of any indications that violent felons routinely get popped for small infractions in NYC, hence my expressions of skepticism and request for actual evidence for said claims.

    And to reiterate my point above: NYC definitely uses CompStat, and publishes the data. If they are nabbing violent felons who have open warrants during stops for minor violations, there should be no question that will show up in the data. They certainly weren't catching violent felons with active warrants with stop & frisk.


    And, on number 3 - where are your stats?
    Ask Google, and ye shall receive.

    Stop-and-Frisk Data | New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) - American Civil Liberties Union of New York State
    http://ccrjustice.org/files/Report-C...-and-Frisk.pdf
    The Statistical Debate Behind the Stop-and-Frisk Verdict - The New Yorker
    NYPD Stop-And-Frisks Lead To More Marijuana Arrests Than Anything Else | ThinkProgress
    NYPD Stop And Frisks: 15 Shocking Facts About A Controversial Program
    NYPD Stop Question and Frisk Report Data Base


    And again, even IF true there is an easy explanation - those folks stopped and frisked weren't breaking the law at the time.
    What the....?

    Are you really telling me it is acceptable for police to presume that someone is guilty of a crime, not because of anything they're doing, but merely because they live in a specific neighborhood? Or because a police officer decided to search them?

    What country do YOU live in? 'Cause last I checked, the US still held that you're innocent until proven guilty.

  6. #126
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Bull****.

    They are playing union work slowdown games, and it is childish and wrong, no matter the reason.
    Why?

    Because the mayor and a bunch of race baiting assholes have put their lives at risk.

  7. #127
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,493

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Brooklyn is being over run with the same. and yes, I made a distinction between "outer bouroughs" and the "burbs".


    I grew up in loisiada.
    Sorry I misunderstood ya
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  8. #128
    Advisor plutonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    546

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    if you dont want to work..get another job I am sure someone will take your place ..they need the money....lol...as far as tickets go hmmmmm I like that.... in fact all the citizens cant mind that happening...a lot of people go to work everyday and don't like everything about their job... no one has privileges on their job the way they want it
    I find the lack of logic in humans most disturbing...

  9. #129
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    Completely unacceptable and pretty weak in general.

    Just do your damn job.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: The NYPD has essentially stopped writing traffic and parking tickets. Arrests for

    I support them 100%. If I was NYPD I'd sit and drink coffee all day knowing that the second I get called a racist or a murderer I'm going to lose my job or be harassed for years.



    Take the check and find a warm seat at a good coffee shop NYPD!

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •