View Poll Results: Why does unemployment for African-Americans remains so high?

Voters
234. You may not vote on this poll
  • Employers discriminate against African-Americans

    112 47.86%
  • The welfare state subsidizing bad choices and laziness

    14 5.98%
  • Parental and family failure

    16 6.84%
  • Many African Americans are convinced its hopeless

    10 4.27%
  • Historic discrimination's adverse effect African-American psychology

    36 15.38%
  • Refusal to re-locate to job markets

    4 1.71%
  • Inferior schools for African-Americans

    43 18.38%
  • Culture and media have created excuses for African-Americans

    12 5.13%
  • Cultural bias against African-Americans

    47 20.09%
  • IDK/Other

    10 4.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 58

Thread: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

  1. #31
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,699

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    The idea that employers discriminate against people because they are black is stupid. The vast majority of businessmen couldn't give a rat's ass what color your skin is, they just want results. If you can give them the results they want, they'll hire you, if not, then either head on down to your local Burger King or potato farmer and get job there or maybe try to improve your job skills so that you have a better shot at getting a job that doesn't include "Do you want fries with that?" or busting your ass in the hot sun for 16 hours a day.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  2. #32
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,947
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    Those communities don't have any leadership to speak of. If you're looking for someone to blame, you should wonder why the successful African-Americans and the NAACP aren't doing more to help the underclass.
    The leaders of prominence that I had in mind were the NAACP, the African-American Congressional Caucus, Sharpton, Jackson, and dozens of other organizations, but yes, to really left these communities out of their current level of dysfunctionality, to steer, guide them away from their current course of self-destruction, onto a better track, one were more of the people of these communities can succeed in what one would call the more 'normal' society.

    Hey, I'm all for the people of these communities to wildly succeed in life. Not only for themselves, and their successes, their greater life satisfaction, but also for the greater general good, as there'll be far less required to support those that can support themselves.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  3. #33
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    The idea that employers discriminate against people because they are black is stupid. The vast majority of businessmen couldn't give a rat's ass what color your skin is, they just want results. If you can give them the results they want, they'll hire you, if not, then either head on down to your local Burger King or potato farmer and get job there or maybe try to improve your job skills so that you have a better shot at getting a job that doesn't include "Do you want fries with that?" or busting your ass in the hot sun for 16 hours a day.
    And yet it's demonstrable

    Chicago GSB | Capital Ideas

  4. #34
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Multiple choice, public poll

    The unemployment rate of African Americans remains at least double that of whites and is the highest unemployment demographic. The overall economic gap remains as great.

    What is most notable is that there has been NO improvement for 5 decades. There is:
    The Civil Rights Act
    Voting Rights Act
    Forced Busing
    Preference for Minority loans and contracts
    Hate Crimes legislation
    Outlawing racial discrimination in employment, commerce and housing
    Affirmative action in education
    Every increasing social, benefits and welfare programs
    Neighborhood revival programs
    Preferential loans in housing

    Yet all that - and none has helped African-Americans in terms of unemployment, lower economic status and unemployment. 50 years of a trillion dollars and a zillion words - all that appears a failure, if not counter productive.

    These ten charts show the black-white economic gap hasn

    So... what is the reason(s) unemployment remains so high for African-Americans?
    Great question.

    I think starting out, many black kids grow up in highly dysfunctional homes. If a mom AND a dad aren't there to help Johnny with his homework and provide a home life conducive for healthy upbringing, Johnny is going to have problems as an adult. Why there are a disproportionate number of dysfunctional black homes is a different question but very briefly, I don't think its Johnny's fault. His parents/grandparents were handed a lesser of evils options.

    A. The ability for children to eat but no father allowed in the home or
    B. No food for the kids but Dad gets to stay

    ...under a multi-generational system of depriving blacks of equal education and higher income employment opportunities and thus experice that had just statutorily ended.


    Secondly, an unhealthy embracing of the hip-hop culture. Whether you're White and have tattoos on your face, body piercings in your nose and green and blue hair or you're Black and wear you pants falling off your butt, gold teeth grillz, dreadlocks, etc.; you probably aren't going to do well in the job interview. Problem is a SIGNIFICANT number of young Black males embrace the hip-hop culture as an identity probably because most of their role-models have in fact achieved success through the hip-hop culture. Sadly, many if not most Black youths see hip-hop or professional sports as their only access to the American dream but to so few prominent role-models.

    Lastly, I do think there is discrimination in the workplace to some degree. Its a little harder for Black men to get jobs I think; not impossible obviously but not as easy. Almost every black man has heard "the only reason you have that position is because you're black," whether its true or not. Almost every black man who has achieved some degree of success has heard in so many words "you're incompetent" often after having done as good a job as any of his predecessors and I'm thinking of one case right now of having exceeded the benchmarks of his white predecessor on numerous levels.

    Last lastly :-), I think juvenile and young adult delinquency arrest records, that are public information, hurts black male employment. Take a kid who grew up with no dad around, which is disproportionally more common if you're black, and its more likely he'll get in trouble with the law at a young age. That record then follows him for life in every job interview he'll have. My own brother got in a fight with someone while defending a young female relative from a 40 year old man, was arrested for assault, etc. Once police figured out what had happened, the charges were dropped but the arrest record remains. Today he has trouble getting hired and is always rejected for applications to rent apartments out of concern for liability and playing it safe with someone who can pose a threat to the safety of other employees or other renters. Again, he was never charged, just arrested and let go.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  5. #35
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    This is a sad, but likely accurate, dose of real world experience. It contains some glaring logical fallacies as it both blames the welfare state (no expectation of self support and yet being "deserving" of instant gratification) for creating criminals and yet describes welfare as both necessary and compassionate. It also points out the nearly complete cultural/social/educational wasteland (vacuum?) that persists in "the hood". This would make an excellent thread of its own.
    My interpretation of that was that he *wanted* to still believe the welfare state is compassionate.

    It would indeed make an excellent thread of its own.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #36
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Great question.

    I think starting out, many black kids grow up in highly dysfunctional homes. If a mom AND a dad aren't there to help Johnny with his homework and provide a home life conducive for healthy upbringing, Johnny is going to have problems as an adult. Why there are a disproportionate number of dysfunctional black homes is a different question but very briefly, I don't think its Johnny's fault. His parents/grandparents were handed a lesser of evils options.

    A. The ability for children to eat but no father allowed in the home or
    B. No food for the kids but Dad gets to stay

    ...under a multi-generational system of depriving blacks of equal education and higher income employment opportunities and thus experice that had just statutorily ended.


    Secondly, an unhealthy embracing of the hip-hop culture. Whether you're White and have tattoos on your face, body piercings in your nose and green and blue hair or you're Black and wear you pants falling off your butt, gold teeth grillz, dreadlocks, etc.; you probably aren't going to do well in the job interview. Problem is a SIGNIFICANT number of young Black males embrace the hip-hop culture as an identity probably because most of their role-models have in fact achieved success through the hip-hop culture. Sadly, many if not most Black youths see hip-hop or professional sports as their only access to the American dream but to so few prominent role-models.

    Lastly, I do think there is discrimination in the workplace to some degree. Its a little harder for Black men to get jobs I think; not impossible obviously but not as easy. Almost every black man has heard "the only reason you have that position is because you're black," whether its true or not. Almost every black man who has achieved some degree of success has heard in so many words "you're incompetent" often after having done as good a job as any of his predecessors and I'm thinking of one case right now of having exceeded the benchmarks of his white predecessor on numerous levels.

    Last lastly :-), I think juvenile and young adult delinquency arrest records, that are public information, hurts black male employment. Take a kid who grew up with no dad around, which is disproportionally more common if you're black, and its more likely he'll get in trouble with the law at a young age. That record then follows him for life in every job interview he'll have. My own brother got in a fight with someone while defending a young female relative from a 40 year old man, was arrested for assault, etc. Once police figured out what had happened, the charges were dropped but the arrest record remains. Today he has trouble getting hired and is always rejected for applications to rent apartments out of concern for liability and playing it safe with someone who can pose a threat to the safety of other employees or other renters. Again, he was never charged, just arrested and let go.
    Green: From the outside looking in, I agree that blacks have a harder time getting hired to begin with. I'd even suspect that the numbers of blacks who have heard "...you only have that job because you're black..." is dwarfed by the numbers of blacks who weren't hired to begin with.

    Red: Your brother's experience is why I believe arrest records should be inaccessible to the public. Especially in light of today's "arrest 'em all and sort 'em out later" mindset. An arrest doesn't automatically mean a damn thing.
    Last edited by radcen; 01-01-15 at 07:10 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #37
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,947
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Green: From the outside looking in, I agree that blacks have a harder time getting hired to begin with. I'd even suspect that the numbers of blacks who have heard "...you only have that job because you're black..." is dwarfed by the numbers of blacks who weren't hired to begin with.

    Red: Your brother's experience is why I believe arrest records should be inaccessible to the public. Especially in light of today's "arrest 'em all and sort 'em out later" mindset. An arrest doesn't automatically mean a damn thing.
    When reading about this good samaritan, it also immediately came to mind that he was trying to do the 'right' and noble thing, and got little more than unfairly branded for it. With that sort of response from society, is it any wonder that good samaritan acts are decreasing? (If they are, would seem like they would be).

    There's no legal recourse to expunge his record of this arrest record?
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  8. #38
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    When reading about this good samaritan, it also immediately came to mind that he was trying to do the 'right' and noble thing, and got little more than unfairly branded for it. With that sort of response from society, is it any wonder that good samaritan acts are decreasing? (If they are, would seem like they would be).

    There's no legal recourse to expunge his record of this arrest record?
    I know a couple people who have had records expunged and they still end up popping up in inopportune times.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #39
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,947
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I know a couple people who have had records expunged and they still end up popping up in inopportune times.
    Geez. That's annoying. Guess you can't count on government to even do something as simple as this correctly? Or are they popping up from another source?
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  10. #40
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Geez. That's annoying. Guess you can't count on government to even do something as simple as this correctly? Or are they popping up from another source?
    If I understand them correctly, from another source. Arrests and the such are still public record prior to being expunged, and I guess some outside the system keep track.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •