View Poll Results: Why does unemployment for African-Americans remains so high?

Voters
234. You may not vote on this poll
  • Employers discriminate against African-Americans

    112 47.86%
  • The welfare state subsidizing bad choices and laziness

    14 5.98%
  • Parental and family failure

    16 6.84%
  • Many African Americans are convinced its hopeless

    10 4.27%
  • Historic discrimination's adverse effect African-American psychology

    36 15.38%
  • Refusal to re-locate to job markets

    4 1.71%
  • Inferior schools for African-Americans

    43 18.38%
  • Culture and media have created excuses for African-Americans

    12 5.13%
  • Cultural bias against African-Americans

    47 20.09%
  • IDK/Other

    10 4.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 58

Thread: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

  1. #21
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The protected classification is race. Not black.

    White people are protected by racial discrimination laws too. Why did you not count them as a special protected class?

    Your first link says the burden is on the employee to provide evidence, so thanks for proving me right, I guess?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #22
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    I believe automotion and manufacturing jobs moving offshore are major causes.


  3. #23
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,680

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The protected classification is race. Not black.

    White people are protected by racial discrimination laws too. Why did you not count them as a special protected class?

    Your first link says the burden is on the employee to provide evidence, so thanks for proving me right, I guess?
    Using your very broad definition of disparate impact (by including white folks) then try to defend the NBA which has a hugely disproportionally high number of black players just as hockey has the reverse. It is easy to define the non-proportional outcome but much harder to identify (or correct) the cause of this alleged "racism". Should the NBA or NHL be forced to change policy (standards for getting hired/drafted) until they achieve some sort of racial diversity quota?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #24
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,948
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    This article isn't directly related to employment but it might give you some ideas - Confessions of a Public Defender | American Renaissance
    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Interesting article.
    Indeed so.

    Smacks of unvarnished truth and years of actual first person observation. Given all the behavioral mal-adaptations and vastly dispersant value system from the rest of what one would call 'normal' society, is it any wonder these communities are in such a sad state? Yet their community leaders still go around and 'blame whitey' or the 'establishment' for all their ills. From reading this article, I come to the conclusion that the changes needed must largely come from these communities themselves and their leadership.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  5. #25
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Using your very broad definition of disparate impact (by including white folks) then try to defend the NBA which has a hugely disproportionally high number of black players just as hockey has the reverse. It is easy to define the non-proportional outcome but much harder to identify (or correct) the cause of this alleged "racism". Should the NBA or NHL be forced to change policy (standards for getting hired/drafted) until they achieve some sort of racial diversity quota?
    Look at the MLB. In the last several years the percentage of black players in MLB has been roughly 8%, while the percentage of blacks in the overall general population is roughly 14%. Black leaders and some players have been hammering about this, demanding action, new league policies, starting programs, and so on. They feel this is a disparity that needs to be rectified.

    Yet, back in the 1980s, the percentage of blacks in the overall general population was also roughly 14%, and the percentage of black players was roughly 24%... and nobody said a word about that disparity needing rectifying. Not a peep.

    Note: The percentages are rough, and may vary a percent or two in either direction, but they're pretty close. The point is what's important here, not the literal numbers.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #26
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Indeed so.

    Smacks of unvarnished truth and years of actual first person observation. Given all the behavioral mal-adaptations and vastly dispersant value system from the rest of what one would call 'normal' society, is it any wonder these communities are in such a sad state? Yet their community leaders still go around and 'blame whitey' or the 'establishment' for all their ills. From reading this article, I come to the conclusion that the changes needed must largely come from these communities themselves and their leadership.
    There were a couple things he said that I wasn't comfortable with, but overall I appreciated his candor.

    The biggest one for me was when he said black mothers often pray for acquittal over justice. Ok, in a technical non-involved objective sense, one should hope for justice. But these were mothers, and while I don;t think they were being objective at all, they were being emotional. I don't intellectually agree with it, but I understand it, and am willing to overlook that one, or at least not condemn it as harshly.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #27
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Using your very broad definition of disparate impact (by including white folks) then try to defend the NBA which has a hugely disproportionally high number of black players just as hockey has the reverse. It is easy to define the non-proportional outcome but much harder to identify (or correct) the cause of this alleged "racism". Should the NBA or NHL be forced to change policy (standards for getting hired/drafted) until they achieve some sort of racial diversity quota?
    What definition did I give, again?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #28
    Why so un**great?
    DifferentDrummr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Facepalm Beach
    Last Seen
    06-04-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,818
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Indeed so.

    Smacks of unvarnished truth and years of actual first person observation. Given all the behavioral mal-adaptations and vastly dispersant value system from the rest of what one would call 'normal' society, is it any wonder these communities are in such a sad state? Yet their community leaders still go around and 'blame whitey' or the 'establishment' for all their ills. From reading this article, I come to the conclusion that the changes needed must largely come from these communities themselves and their leadership.
    Those communities don't have any leadership to speak of. If you're looking for someone to blame, you should wonder why the successful African-Americans and the NAACP aren't doing more to help the underclass.
    I fight against the ignorant, irresponsible, and/or closed-minded.
    This group is the worst enemy of America and its freedoms. It includes, but is not limited to, all Trump supporters.

  9. #29
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,680

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    This article isn't directly related to employment but it might give you some ideas - Confessions of a Public Defender | American Renaissance
    This is a sad, but likely accurate, dose of real world experience. It contains some glaring logical fallacies as it both blames the welfare state (no expectation of self support and yet being "deserving" of instant gratification) for creating criminals and yet describes welfare as both necessary and compassionate. It also points out the nearly complete cultural/social/educational wasteland (vacuum?) that persists in "the hood". This would make an excellent thread of its own.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #30
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,680

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    Those communities don't have any leadership to speak of. If you're looking for someone to blame, you should wonder why the successful African-Americans and the NAACP aren't doing more to help the underclass.
    That help requires conditional rewards; try to train a puppy if any behavior gets it an equal reward of a treat and praise.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •