View Poll Results: Why does unemployment for African-Americans remains so high?

Voters
234. You may not vote on this poll
  • Employers discriminate against African-Americans

    112 47.86%
  • The welfare state subsidizing bad choices and laziness

    14 5.98%
  • Parental and family failure

    16 6.84%
  • Many African Americans are convinced its hopeless

    10 4.27%
  • Historic discrimination's adverse effect African-American psychology

    36 15.38%
  • Refusal to re-locate to job markets

    4 1.71%
  • Inferior schools for African-Americans

    43 18.38%
  • Culture and media have created excuses for African-Americans

    12 5.13%
  • Cultural bias against African-Americans

    47 20.09%
  • IDK/Other

    10 4.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 58

Thread: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

  1. #11
    Why so un**great?
    DifferentDrummr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Facepalm Beach
    Last Seen
    06-04-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,818
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by 274ina View Post
    Because they don't know how to do a job. ANy job.
    Which is mostly the result of family failure and lack of access to decent schools.

    I put those down as the top two, followed by discrimination (which happens clandestinely).
    I fight against the ignorant, irresponsible, and/or closed-minded.
    This group is the worst enemy of America and its freedoms. It includes, but is not limited to, all Trump supporters.

  2. #12
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    There's multiple reasons.

    1. Poverty traps expectations
    2. Traditional barometers of success not necessarily valued
    3. We do have problems with how employers select employees if race becomes known
    4. Postsecondary educational attainment is lower
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #13
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,695

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Multiple choice, public poll

    The unemployment rate of African Americans remains at least double that of whites and is the highest unemployment demographic. The overall economic gap remains as great.

    What is most notable is that there has been NO improvement for 5 decades. There is:
    The Civil Rights Act
    Voting Rights Act
    Forced Busing
    Preference for Minority loans and contracts
    Hate Crimes legislation
    Outlawing racial discrimination in employment, commerce and housing
    Affirmative action in education
    Every increasing social, benefits and welfare programs
    Neighborhood revival programs
    Preferential loans in housing

    Yet all that - and none has helped African-Americans in terms of unemployment, lower economic status and unemployment. 50 years of a trillion dollars and a zillion words - all that appears a failure, if not counter productive.

    These ten charts show the black-white economic gap hasn

    So... what is the reason(s) unemployment remains so high for African-Americans?
    This article isn't directly related to employment but it might give you some ideas - Confessions of a Public Defender | American Renaissance

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Sounds plausible because we have become a litigious society. Perhaps the Great Philosopher
    was absolutely correct when he said "kill all the lawyers," or not?
    The left made the laws, and now can't imagine why things aren't working out peachy king. It seems the left has been mugged by reality yet again.

  5. #15
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Of your listed law changes, it seems that one is specifically related to employment. When given a choice of hiring a person, either with or without special "protected class" status to potentially sue you, which would you hire? We now see such nonsense as disparate impact, which makes the employer prove that they are innocent of discrimination instead of making one prove that they were, in fact, discriminated against. I am not saying that alone is responsible but it certainly must enter the mind of an employer, especially if they have been burned by such a lawsuit before.
    Black people aren't a protected class.

    And, no, the employer doesn't have to prove they are innocent. That's just absurd. The burden is on the employee/potential employee, and proving discrimination is incredibly hard. Basically, the employer can make up any reason. As long as they weren't stupid enough to go around blabbing how they don't like to hire (insert demographic), they're pretty safe.

    You seriously just made this up.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #16
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Black people aren't a protected class.

    And, no, the employer doesn't have to prove they are innocent. That's just absurd. The burden is on the employee/potential employee, and proving discrimination is incredibly hard. Basically, the employer can make up any reason. As long as they weren't stupid enough to go around blabbing how they don't like to hire (insert demographic), they're pretty safe.

    You seriously just made this up.
    Really? Here are some links for you to ponder on disparate impact:

    Disparate Impact Discrimination | Nolo.com

    Supreme Court to Hear 'Disparate Impact' Housing Case

    Disparate Impact Discrimination - FindLaw
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #17
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    This article isn't directly related to employment but it might give you some ideas - Confessions of a Public Defender | American Renaissance
    Interesting article.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,695

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Interesting article.
    I thought so too.

  9. #19
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,302

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Multiple choice, public poll

    The unemployment rate of African Americans remains at least double that of whites and is the highest unemployment demographic. The overall economic gap remains as great.

    What is most notable is that there has been NO improvement for 5 decades. There is:
    The Civil Rights Act
    Voting Rights Act
    Forced Busing
    Preference for Minority loans and contracts
    Hate Crimes legislation
    Outlawing racial discrimination in employment, commerce and housing
    Affirmative action in education
    Every increasing social, benefits and welfare programs
    Neighborhood revival programs
    Preferential loans in housing

    Yet all that - and none has helped African-Americans in terms of unemployment, lower economic status and unemployment. 50 years of a trillion dollars and a zillion words - all that appears a failure, if not counter productive.

    These ten charts show the black-white economic gap hasn

    So... what is the reason(s) unemployment remains so high for African-Americans?
    What ya' think joko. Has your poll been gamed?

  10. #20
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?

    There is no one answer, there is a little bit of most of these things at play:

    1. poverty, poverty leads to bad education, poor choices, feeling of hopelessness, crime and jail time.
    2. bad education and poor choices leads often to many children with multiple women, this often leads to more bad choices resulting in either domestic violence or crime to pay for your family life-style which leads to jail time.
    3. poverty, bad education, hopelessness, one parent or two parent families who work themselves into the ground as working poor, leaving the child to be raised on the streets where the gangs have an easy target, leading again to crime and jail time
    4. drugs, crime, jail time (all I have to say really)
    5. general discrimination in the US against black people (both conscious and unconscious discrimination) because who would you rather see coming to your door selling/delivering/repairing things?

    this guy What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?-officersmall-jpg or this guy What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?-article-0-0d1f344300000578-218_306x444-jpg

    Like it or not, a lot of people would say easy, the black person coming to my door as door to door salesman/delivery guy/repair man/plumber would have made a lot of people feel a bit uneasy whereas the second guy looks a lot less threatening as a door to door salesman/delivery guy/repair man/plumber.

    But if you would have let the black person in the house you would have been very safe because this is the unfortunately murdered police officer Kevin Jordan, in uniform he would have looked like this

    What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?-jordan_k2_resize-jpg

    whereas our white guy looks something like this

    What is the unemployment rate for African-Americans so high?-anders-breivik-jpg

    His name is Anders Behring Breivik and he killed 69 people on an island in Norway, the crime of these people? Being social democrats. After his massacre (because there is no other name for it) he shot and killed two 14 year old kids, seven 15 year old kids, eight 16 year old kids, sixteen 17 year old kids, seventeen 18 year old persons, five 19 year old persons, three 21 year old persons, two 23 year old persons, two 43 year old persons and one person respectively of 20/25/27/28/30/45/51 year old. And before he went on a killing spree with guns he bombed the Norwegian capital killing another 8 people.

    But still, only looking at the first set of pictures, most would have chosen the white person to come to their homes.

    6. specific discrimination, as in discrimination against people who have criminal records (which a lot of the times are black applicants.
    7. substandard schooling, etc. etc. etc. etc.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •