View Poll Results: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 23.21%
  • No

    76 67.86%
  • Other

    10 8.93%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 112

Thread: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

  1. #71
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,930
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    It's true. This is going to have to be resolved by the NYPD and the mayor. The NYPD feels that it's the injured party here, at the hands of the mayor. Those two parties are going to have work it out.

    It's never a good policy to piss off a major partner in running and managing a city the size of NYC. In that, de Blasio have failed as a leader of the City. I'm not seeing the controversy here. I think it's rather obvious that this is the case.

    You have a counter case, one that shows how fabulous a leader he really is, bring it.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    So it was essentially, "We are the NYPD RESPECT MY AUTHORITAAHHHH"....
    Surely you can do better than that.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    They have no reason to be pissed because the mayor did nothing wrong....
    Its not like he came out and said "All cops are bastards". Its not like he said "all cops are racists". Its not like he said "the NYPD sucks". He did the EXACT opposite. He PRAISED, the NYPD.... You even posted a video where he did that!
    Well obviously that's not what they heard. Have you ever heard that good speaking skills also takes the audience into consideration? In this case, that'd be the police.

    Clearly the mayor didn't do that, or at least not enough of that, 'cause the cops are pissed off.

    I'm also beginning to wonder what else, out side of the public eye and reporting, is going on here. What else is it that's got the cops all up in arms. Gotta be something above and beyond this.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  2. #72
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,930
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    Cops give me no rights, they ensure none of my rights. But they have the right to do whatever they wish, because they have badges, and can perform homicides legally.
    No, they haven't given you any rights, those human rights come from God, as the founding father's documented in the Constitution. The cops make sure that you are free to exercise those rights.

    No, the cops aren't allowed to do whatever they wish. That's a false narrative. The cops are pretty constrained in how they need to respond in various situations.

    Clearly you aren't a cop, and you've not studied what it is that they are charged with doing. Now, I profess no special knowledge about this, other than I know that cops are in fact constrained in what they can do by law and by their department's policies.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  3. #73
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    No, they haven't given you any rights, those human rights come from God, as the founding father's documented in the Constitution. The cops make sure that you are free to exercise those rights.

    No, the cops aren't allowed to do whatever they wish. That's a false narrative. The cops are pretty constrained in how they need to respond in various situations.

    Clearly you aren't a cop, and you've not studied what it is that they are charged with doing. Now, I profess no special knowledge about this, other than I know that cops are in fact constrained in what they can do by law and by their department's policies.
    Ask yourself why cops constantly violate a US citizen's first and fourth amendments to the United States Constitution, then get back to me with something which makes sense.

    First Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  4. #74
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    He threw them under the bus, why shouldn't they do the same?
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #75
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,125

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    The targeting of cops is being fed by an irrational animus that is fed by self-serving political animals who use it for money, influence, and power. Mayor DeBlasio is one of those, and has absolutely thrown the people who have a right to expect his support under the bus, choosing to feed the animus rather than strengthen the system, with detrimental results both for the police force and the populace.

    However, uniformed police officers have no business making political statements for or against. You're not going to find much love for the POTUS in the military, either, but that does not change the fact that they should avoid any public display of disrespect.

  6. #76
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,930
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    Ask yourself why cops constantly violate a US citizen's first and fourth amendments to the United States Constitution, then get back to me with something which makes sense.

    First Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Freedom of speech and freedom of press. So how, exactly, are the cops violating this?

    Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Unreasonable search and seizure. So how, exactly, are the cops violating this?

    Given the 'Activist' Attorney General Role that Holder sees as his, if there are such constitutional rights violations being committed by cops, you'd think that he'd be on top of it in a hot second. Having not seen or heard of these actions by the DOJ, it would seem reasonable that they aren't occurring, and if they are occurring, they are in such small numbers as to not have a DOJ enforcement priority under the basis of 'prosecutorial discretion', that we've heard so much about in recent months in the Immigration political / kabuki theater.

    Making such bold claims puts the onus on you to prove that it is as you claim.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  7. #77
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,930
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    The targeting of cops is being fed by an irrational animus that is fed by self-serving political animals who use it for money, influence, and power. Mayor DeBlasio is one of those, and has absolutely thrown the people who have a right to expect his support under the bus, choosing to feed the animus rather than strengthen the system, with detrimental results both for the police force and the populace.

    However, uniformed police officers have no business making political statements for or against. You're not going to find much love for the POTUS in the military, either, but that does not change the fact that they should avoid any public display of disrespect.
    I agree. The NYPD leaders and de Blasio need to settle this and right quick, before something even worse explodes onto the scene, and makes the two sides even more intractable.

    You can see how it's already getting worse, and quickly so.

    ‘Traitor’ de Blasio booed at Police Academy graduation | New York Post

    New York Mayor Bill de Blasio Booed at Police Graduation Ceremony - ABC News
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  8. #78
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Unreasonable search and seizure. So how, exactly, are the cops violating this?

    Given the 'Activist' Attorney General Role that Holder sees as his, if there are such constitutional rights violations being committed by cops, you'd think that he'd be on top of it in a hot second. Having not seen or heard of these actions by the DOJ, it would seem reasonable that they aren't occurring, and if they are occurring, they are in such small numbers as to not have a DOJ enforcement priority under the basis of 'prosecutorial discretion', that we've heard so much about in recent months in the Immigration political / kabuki theater.

    Making such bold claims puts the onus on you to prove that it is as you claim.
    Addressing that, I give you Dontre Hamilton as one example,
    two police officers already checked the welfare of the person sleeping in Red Arrow Park, nothing became of their check, no problems, no troubles found.

    Officer Manning goes to the bench where Dontre Hamilton was lying down, and Manning instigated and agitated a citizen, and tried to frisk him, for no apparent reason/s, Manning tried to use his club to make Hamilton comply, and was struck on his arm and his head with the club til Hamilton took it away from him. The next thing that happened was Manning shooting Hamilton numerous times,

    what was the purpose of the frisk? ask yourself that in many, many cases where police officers beat people into submission or shoot people, they say, are resisting. Hamilton's basic constitutional right was violated, specifically the 4th. amendment,
    Hamilton is dead, Manning was fired because he did not follow proper police procedure, had he followed proper procedure, Hamilton would be alive today.

    This isn't rocker science, this is basic constitutional rights we're talking about here, and I see you're trying to insert blurs into the picture,

    not all searches and seizures are legal, not all assemblies of people is illegal either.

    Park ranger enters plea in fatal shooting at Elephant Butte (3:32 p.m.) - Las Cruces Sun-News

    A few years ago, the state park ranger supervisor of Elephant Butte was stopped and arrested for drunk driving, or, DWI,
    she was acquitted because the police department did an illegal search and seizure, this happens hundreds, if not thousands of times across the USA, some people (citizens) are lucky to escape unhurt, while others are beaten down with a night stick or even shot, some even die.

  9. #79
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,930
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    Addressing that, I give you Dontre Hamilton as one example,
    two police officers already checked the welfare of the person sleeping in Red Arrow Park, nothing became of their check, no problems, no troubles found.

    Officer Manning goes to the bench where Dontre Hamilton was lying down, and Manning instigated and agitated a citizen, and tried to frisk him, for no apparent reason/s, Manning tried to use his club to make Hamilton comply, and was struck on his arm and his head with the club til Hamilton took it away from him. The next thing that happened was Manning shooting Hamilton numerous times,

    what was the purpose of the frisk? ask yourself that in many, many cases where police officers beat people into submission or shoot people, they say, are resisting. Hamilton's basic constitutional right was violated, specifically the 4th. amendment,
    Hamilton is dead, Manning was fired because he did not follow proper police procedure, had he followed proper procedure, Hamilton would be alive today.

    This isn't rocker science, this is basic constitutional rights we're talking about here, and I see you're trying to insert blurs into the picture,

    not all searches and seizures are legal, not all assemblies of people is illegal either.

    Park ranger enters plea in fatal shooting at Elephant Butte (3:32 p.m.) - Las Cruces Sun-News

    A few years ago, the state park ranger supervisor of Elephant Butte was stopped and arrested for drunk driving, or, DWI,
    she was acquitted because the police department did an illegal search and seizure, this happens hundreds, if not thousands of times across the USA, some people (citizens) are lucky to escape unhurt, while others are beaten down with a night stick or even shot, some even die.
    OK. We knew that not all of the cops are all playing by the rules they should be, bell curve and all that, bound to be some rotten apples. What's their back story?

    Christopher Manney who shot Dontre Hamilton 14 times, was fired, as he should have been.
    Teschner had a history of mental problems and was intoxicated when he was shot.

    Now, are you of the opinion that this is the case for ALL or even MOST cops? Or maybe just a FEW cops who shouldn't be in that job?

    If you consider the millions of interactions between the civilians and the police, there are going to be a few that go bad, just as there are a number of cops who shouldn't be in that job.

    Still, all in all, we are certainly NOT living in a police state here.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  10. #80
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    As to the topic, I don't have the right information to make a decent call...

    If the family of the victim invited him to speak, then this was a rather immature move on the part of the police.

    If he simply showed up because he always shows up to police funerals, and/or basically "influenced" his way up there by pushing the issue himself without being offered, then I can fully understand the cops action here and while I wouldn't think it's the most mature thing to do, it's a move I can't really blame them for.

    If he normally doesn't show up to every police funeral, but showed up for this one and made a push to speak, then I actively support and applaud the cops as in such a case it's not an instance of them immaturily making a funeral into a political statement, but rather them denouncing the mayors attempt to utilize the funeral as a political tool.

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    You support the protesters for their chanting and calling for dead cops, yes?
    Care to quote what foundation your accusational question is built upon? What exactly has the OP said that indicates he supports chanting for dead cops?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    And while I don't agree with de Blasio being as unsupportive of the NYPD as he was amidst the protests, the idea that he bears any culpability in a lone nut driving up from Baltimore and plugging two officers holds no water.
    Who in this thread prior to your post made that point? Who?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •