View Poll Results: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 23.21%
  • No

    76 67.86%
  • Other

    10 8.93%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 112

Thread: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

  1. #61
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    No one living in the US has even an inkling what it is to live in a police state. That's a nice straw man there. Because we aren't.

    Martin died because he was in ill health and resisted arrest. Had he not resisted arrest, likely he'd still be alive today.

    What exactly were the orders for the cops that arrested Martin? Who issued them? And why? If they weren't explicit orders specific to sellers of lucies, why is it that all 4 or 5 of them were all on board with the arrest?

    Yes, cops can, and do, commit brutality. I don't think that the arrest of Martin is one of them.
    Oh, so he died while resisting arrest. For a minor offense. Are you a cop? I hope not.

  2. #62
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Your use of the term 'pigs' in reference to police officers is already telling that you probably aren't willing to give them the rights they are ensuring that you have.

    You going to put wings on a few more?
    Cops give me no rights, they ensure none of my rights. But they have the right to do whatever they wish, because they have badges, and can perform homicides legally.

  3. #63
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    It's true.
    So it was essentially, "We are the NYPD RESPECT MY AUTHORITAAHHHH"....

    It's never a good policy to piss off a major partner in running and managing a city the size of NYC.
    They have no reason to be pissed because the mayor did nothing wrong....
    Its not like he came out and said "All cops are bastards". Its not like he said "all cops are racists". Its not like he said "the NYPD sucks". He did the EXACT opposite. He PRAISED, the NYPD.... You even posted a video where he did that!


  4. #64
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    No. If you read what I posted, you'll see that I support the police for turning their backs on de Blasio, for



    I see you are advocating further violence and civil insurrection. Well, good luck with that.
    You're now stretching, how does it feel to be a liar?

  5. #65
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Why not hold the mayor to a higher standard?


    I think that the Mayor has the right to hold his police force accountable for their actions. By their actions, they are showing disrespect and sending a message that they will continue to do as they please..

  6. #66
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    I'll say right off, I think it was a low class thing to do.

    Of course not. They were being downright childish. No one blamed the President for insurgent attacks after his administration attempted to tackle Abu Graib and we certainly didn't see soldiers 'turning their backs' on him like petulant children. This is an analogous situation. There are problems in our major police forces across country, including the NYPD, and the Mayor was right to openly address those problems. Blaming him for the actions of a lone gunmen is ludicrous. What they are really doing is using those officers deaths as ammunition to pushback against the legitimate criticism and clarion calls that have gone out about how our police operate.

  7. #67
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,403

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    And I agree with you on this point, as I agreed with Kobie earlier in this thread. The funeral is in honor of the deceased, and in support of their families.

    All I'm saying is that I understand the officer's position on this, and have come to realize that it's their perception of the situation that counts far more so than mine, yours, or anyone else's not directly involved. Maybe you'll have better luck with TheDemSocialist on this. He seems to not understand what I'm saying.
    No. Why did they do it in such a public manner, then? Because they wanted you and I and everyone else to take notice.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #68
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,403

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    No one living in the US has even an inkling what it is to live in a police state. That's a nice straw man there. Because we aren't.

    Martin died because he was in ill health and resisted arrest. Had he not resisted arrest, likely he'd still be alive today.

    What exactly were the orders for the cops that arrested Martin? Who issued them? And why? If they weren't explicit orders specific to sellers of lucies, why is it that all 4 or 5 of them were all on board with the arrest?

    Yes, cops can, and do, commit brutality. I don't think that the arrest of Martin is one of them.
    Had they not done whatever it is they did to him, likely he'd still be alive today, too. What's your point?

    (I'm presuming you mean Garner)
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #69
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,842
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    You're now stretching, how does it feel to be a liar?
    I dunno. You tell me.
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  10. #70
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,842
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Did the NYPD do the right thing by turning their backs on the mayor?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Had they not done whatever it is they did to him, likely he'd still be alive today, too. What's your point?

    (I'm presuming you mean Garner)
    Yes, I did. late night typo / wrong name there.

    I too find it rather incredulous that police resources are wasted on a minor offense such as selling lucies. I think this is a waste of valuable policing resources, and obviously any common sense person wouldn't bother with such unless there's something else going on, perhaps such as explicit orders to enforce that misdemeanor and arrest violators. I'm just asking what else is going on, and not just blaming the cop on the beat.
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •