View Poll Results: Since 2000 - Has The USA Tortured Anyone?

Voters
478. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a registered "R" - yes

    137 28.66%
  • I'm a registered "R" - no

    4 0.84%
  • I'm a registered "D" - yes

    110 23.01%
  • I'm a registered "D" - no

    42 8.79%
  • Not an "R" or "D" - yes

    118 24.69%
  • Not an "R" or "D" - no

    5 1.05%
  • Not a US citizen - yes

    54 11.30%
  • Not a US citizen - no

    0 0%
  • other - please explain

    8 1.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Since the year 2000, has the USA tortured?

  1. #1
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:33 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,494

    Since the year 2000, has the USA tortured?

    Has the USA (any recognized faction, sub-segment, branch, affiliation, or official) condoned the use of, or participated, or carried out any form of "torture" on anyone since the turn of the most recent century?

    Whether the "victim" was legally or illegally detained, charged or not, stood trial or not, considered a terrorist, enemy combatant, or even a US citizen, has torture been used by the USofA as a tool or some other form of punishment?

    Is the USofA guilty of using torture in any kind of scenario as the definition of torture is widely known?

    Or, to put it another way, is the USofA ever justified in using using "techniques" that the majority of others in the world consider "torture",

    Since the year 2000 - has the USofA tortured anyone? If you answer "yes" - do you consider it justifiable or criminal?
    If you answered "no" - is it because your definition of torture is somewhat different than most others people's definition? As in, "relative to what the terrorists have been doing, there's nothing the USofA could do that would be worse or more inhumane."
    Wastin' time, like it was free - Godsmack

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,499

    Re: Since the year 2000, has the USA tortured?

    Under the legal definition of torture the US has not authorized torture on anyone since 2000, this is not my opinion but a simple fact.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:33 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,494

    Re: Since the year 2000, has the USA tortured?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Under the legal definition of torture the US has not authorized torture on anyone since 2000, this is not my opinion but a simple fact.
    Would you care to provide that "legal definition"?
    Wastin' time, like it was free - Godsmack

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,356

    Re: Since the year 2000, has the USA tortured?

    Sadly, yes.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,217

    Re: Since the year 2000, has the USA tortured?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Has the USA (any recognized faction, sub-segment, branch, affiliation, or official) condoned the use of, or participated, or carried out any form of "torture" on anyone since the turn of the most recent century?

    Whether the "victim" was legally or illegally detained, charged or not, stood trial or not, considered a terrorist, enemy combatant, or even a US citizen, has torture been used by the USofA as a tool or some other form of punishment?

    Is the USofA guilty of using torture in any kind of scenario as the definition of torture is widely known?

    Or, to put it another way, is the USofA ever justified in using using "techniques" that the majority of others in the world consider "torture",

    Since the year 2000 - has the USofA tortured anyone? If you answer "yes" - do you consider it justifiable or criminal?
    If you answered "no" - is it because your definition of torture is somewhat different than most others people's definition? As in, "relative to what the terrorists have been doing, there's nothing the USofA could do that would be worse or more inhumane."
    In the strict sense of the words the answer is "no" with a high degree of probability. The government seems clearly not to ave mandated "torture". That does not mean that none were tortured. What seems certain, however, is that the level of allowed force was very much breached and that there are people that thus broke the law, when they were working for the government and that have not been put on trail. They do not seem to have been pardoned either. That is definitely bad, because the executive is bound by law as is the judiciary. They are not allowed to apply the law as they like and, when they do, it should be a ground for immediate and mandatory impeachment.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,503

    Re: Since the year 2000, has the USA tortured?

    Bush II said no

    PANAMA CITY, Panama -- President Bush on Monday defended U.S. interrogation practices and called the treatment of terrorism suspects lawful. "We do not torture," Bush declared in response to reports of secret CIA prisons overseas.

    Bush supported an effort spearheaded by Vice President Dick Cheney to block or modify a proposed Senate-passed ban on torture.
    Bush III on torture
    "I was clear throughout this campaign and was clear throughout this transition that under my administration the United States does not torture," Obama said, when asked at the news conference whether he would continue the Bush administration's policy of harsh interrogation. "We will abide by the Geneva Conventions. We will uphold our highest ideals."

    and moreover, Clinton did not have sex with that woman.

    It all depends on your definitions.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #7
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,552

    Re: Since the year 2000, has the USA tortured?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Has the USA (any recognized faction, sub-segment, branch, affiliation, or official) condoned the use of, or participated, or carried out any form of "torture" on anyone since the turn of the most recent century?

    Whether the "victim" was legally or illegally detained, charged or not, stood trial or not, considered a terrorist, enemy combatant, or even a US citizen, has torture been used by the USofA as a tool or some other form of punishment?

    Is the USofA guilty of using torture in any kind of scenario as the definition of torture is widely known?

    Or, to put it another way, is the USofA ever justified in using using "techniques" that the majority of others in the world consider "torture",

    Since the year 2000 - has the USofA tortured anyone? If you answer "yes" - do you consider it justifiable or criminal?
    If you answered "no" - is it because your definition of torture is somewhat different than most others people's definition? As in, "relative to what the terrorists have been doing, there's nothing the USofA could do that would be worse or more inhumane."
    How is this a poll? It's a fact, they already admitted to doing it. Yes, we've tortured people and no, we shouldn't have. If you become a monster to fight monsters the world will just be full of monsters.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  8. #8
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,394

    Re: Since the year 2000, has the USA tortured?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Under the legal definition of torture the US has not authorized torture on anyone since 2000, this is not my opinion but a simple fact.
    Since the year 2000, has the USA tortured?-schultz-know-nothing-jpg
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #9
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,394

    Re: Since the year 2000, has the USA tortured?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Has the USA (any recognized faction, sub-segment, branch, affiliation, or official) condoned the use of, or participated, or carried out any form of "torture" on anyone since the turn of the most recent century?

    Whether the "victim" was legally or illegally detained, charged or not, stood trial or not, considered a terrorist, enemy combatant, or even a US citizen, has torture been used by the USofA as a tool or some other form of punishment?

    Is the USofA guilty of using torture in any kind of scenario as the definition of torture is widely known?

    Or, to put it another way, is the USofA ever justified in using using "techniques" that the majority of others in the world consider "torture",

    Since the year 2000 - has the USofA tortured anyone? If you answer "yes" - do you consider it justifiable or criminal?
    If you answered "no" - is it because your definition of torture is somewhat different than most others people's definition? As in, "relative to what the terrorists have been doing, there's nothing the USofA could do that would be worse or more inhumane."
    Haven't we already hashed this out in the last couple weeks?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:33 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,494

    Re: Since the year 2000, has the USA tortured?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    How is this a poll? It's a fact, they already admitted to doing it. Yes, we've tortured people and no, we shouldn't have.
    Apparently not everybody agrees with you RabidAlpaca. See below.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    It all depends on your definitions.
    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    In the strict sense of the words the answer is "no"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Under the legal definition of torture the US has not authorized torture on anyone since 2000, this is not my opinion but a simple fact.
    Wastin' time, like it was free - Godsmack

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •