View Poll Results: Are American women Conservative or Liberal?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Liberal

    90 79.65%
  • Conservative

    23 20.35%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 53

Thread: Are American women Conservative or Liberal?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Are American women Conservative or Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    No. They were forward thinking pioneers who rejected state religions, the crown, limits on speech, state powers of arrest and conviction, etc.

    This same rejection of commonly accepted limitations on humanity by the founding fathers are in the same spirit as the rejection of limitations on humanity by liberals today.
    Again, no. They're really not.

    First off, whether or not moral behavior is a "limitation on humanity" in the first place is rather subjective. What you seem to view as "evolution," I view as devolution into ever greater depths of callous selfishness and animalistic depravity.

    Secondly, as I already pointed out, European culture has always been rather morally lax in comparison to the American variety, even when the Continent had extremely "Conservative" political institutions in place, like state religions, monarchs, limits on speech, and unlimited state powers. As a matter of fact, in many regards, Europe remains less "Liberal" than the United States where such issues are concerned to this very day ('Hate Speech' laws, extraordinarily stringent economic regulations, an almost complete lack of ability for common citizens to bear arms, etca, etca).

    You're implying a connection here which simply doesn't exist, I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 12-29-14 at 12:32 AM.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Are American women Conservative or Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Well, of course there is no way to know for sure, but based on the things I've read about him, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually cared about her. He is among my favorite characters in history, and one of the people I'd love to have been able to meet. I bet we would have got on famously.
    He certainly would have been an interesting character.

    While I can find fault with many of his actions, I agree that he very likely was a man who at least tried to be moral, and likely found himself personally torn with regard to his slaves, especially those with which he was involved.

    Washington's always been my favorite, however.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,516

    Re: Are American women Conservative or Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    I've often found this truth deeply contradicting to the perceived reality. From my experiences unmarried women and under 30 women tend to be Liberal yet married women and women over 30 tend to be what I would almost call "Mullah-Esq-Conservative".

    What do you think?
    Men, left to their own devices, would be libertarian, that is they favor freedom in social issues and freedom in economic-fiscal issues.

    Women, left to their own devices, would be justicerian, that is they favor security in social issues and security in economic-fiscal issues.

    Of course, age, race, marital status, parental status, these can affect this to alter or increase it.

    But otherwise, one could say that women are more likely to be conservative on social issues and liberal on economic-fiscal issues, whereas men are more likely to be liberal on social issues and conservative on economic-fiscal issues.

    It all revolves around the nest. Women tend to have a more protective perspective on the home, and thus they tend to support social and economic-fiscal issues that provide that protective support.

    Men, though sensitive to a woman's concerns when they're married, have a tendency not to think in those terms, as freedom to explore and and expand is more a man's focus.

    Women who are just not prone to "nesting" either now or in the future, or who are done with "nesting", have a tendency to think more like men, unless, of course, they're sensitive to their sons' and daughters' nests.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

  4. #34
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: Are American women Conservative or Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    in only one presidential election since women were given the vote (1920-Harding won) has the Democrat nominee won a majority of the male votes-that was LBJ. Meaning if women were as conservative as men, we would have been spared the idiocy of the New Deal, and Obama
    Putting those two things in the same universe is almost unbelievably asinine in its hackishness.

    Thank goodness they aren't, as far as I'm concerned.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,884

    Re: Are American women Conservative or Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    I've often found this truth deeply contradicting to the perceived reality. From my experiences unmarried women and under 30 women tend to be Liberal yet married women and women over 30 tend to be what I would almost call "Mullah-Esq-Conservative".

    What do you think?
    How did you arrive at your conclusion?

  6. #36
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,884

    Re: Are American women Conservative or Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Again, no. They're really not.

    First off, whether or not moral behavior is a "limitation on humanity" in the first place is rather subjective. What you seem to view as "evolution," I view as devolution into ever greater depths of callous selfishness and animalistic depravity.

    Secondly, as I already pointed out, European culture has always been rather morally lax in comparison to the American variety, even when the Continent had extremely "Conservative" political institutions in place, like state religions, monarchs, limits on speech, and unlimited state powers. As a matter of fact, in many regards, Europe remains less "Liberal" than the United States where such issues are concerned to this very day ('Hate Speech' laws, extraordinarily stringent economic regulations, an almost complete lack of ability for common citizens to bear arms, etca, etca).

    You're implying a connection here which simply doesn't exist, I'm afraid.
    Don't start making so much sense now.

  7. #37
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,435

    Re: Are American women Conservative or Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    I've often found this truth deeply contradicting to the perceived reality. From my experiences unmarried women and under 30 women tend to be Liberal yet married women and women over 30 tend to be what I would almost call "Mullah-Esq-Conservative".

    What do you think?

    I find myself to be a somewhat conservative liberal.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  8. #38
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Are American women Conservative or Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Putting those two things in the same universe is almost unbelievably asinine in its hackishness.

    Thank goodness they aren't, as far as I'm concerned.
    the first statement is factually correct

    the second is my opinion that the New Deal was incredibly pernicious as is the failure known as Obama. women voters are the cause for both



  9. #39
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Are American women Conservative or Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    Men, left to their own devices, would be libertarian, that is they favor freedom in social issues and freedom in economic-fiscal issues.

    Women, left to their own devices, would be justicerian, that is they favor security in social issues and security in economic-fiscal issues.
    Citation needed.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  10. #40
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Are American women Conservative or Liberal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    I've often found this truth deeply contradicting to the perceived reality. From my experiences unmarried women and under 30 women tend to be Liberal yet married women and women over 30 tend to be what I would almost call "Mullah-Esq-Conservative".

    What do you think?
    Women are not the Borg, therefore they have disparate views and beliefs with many ranging all over the left/right american scale of political ideology. American women aren't inherently conservative nor liberal.

    While polling shows there are more women who identify as Democrats than Republicans, there is a large portion of women who identify as "independent" that throw a wild card into the mix. Furthermore, what party they vote for doesn't necessarily indicate direct liberal/conservative split, with the "independent" group throwing that off a fair bit. Sadly, there's not many polls I can find that actually show gender splits by ideology instead of party, or a good one showing "leaners" with either party instead of leaving independents as a distinct third option.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •