View Poll Results: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    57 24.89%
  • No

    104 45.41%
  • I don't know?

    44 19.21%
  • He could go but he should have kept quiet.

    24 10.48%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 147

Thread: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

  1. #1
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Obviously he wasn't welcome. Wasn't he specifically requested to stay away from police officers funerals? Shouldn't he have respected that?

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Sure he should have attended it.

    I thought it was tacky for the cops to turn their backs, but at this point I think we all need a lot more tolerance and a lot less criticism, so I won't blast them for it. They did what they needed to do. de Blasio did what he needed to do.

    Emotions are high on all sides; let's be kind to each other and not judge too harshly.

  3. #3
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    As justifiably unwelcome as he is right now, he is the Mayor and should show up.

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    It's fine that he attended. It's unfortunate that the officers who turned their backs on him made Officer Ramos' funeral about them. If any place should be absent of that sort of behavior, it's a damn funeral.

  5. #5
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Firstly, it's my understanding from the comments made by the wife of the Asian officer that she and Mrs. Ramos wanted the community to heal and all the protesting to stop.

    Secondly, the funeral was for the family, primarily, and if the Ramos family asked the Mayor to attend and to speak then that's perfectly fine with me and should be with everyone else as well.

    Finally, I understand that some of the police in attendance outside refused to face the Mayor on the big screen as he spoke. That's fine - but eventually, everyone is going to have to get back to work and do their jobs - that will include involvement of the Mayor and city council. The NYPD is, after all, a civilian force under the command and control of the City and its agents/representatives.

    The point's been made - move on - hopefully the Mayor and others have learned a valuable lesson.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #6
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Obviously he wasn't welcome. Wasn't he specifically requested to stay away from police officers funerals? Shouldn't he have respected that?

    Thoughts?
    I do not know what Officer Ramos felt about De Blasio.So I can not answer one way or another how he felt about him showing up at his funeral.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #7
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Firstly, it's my understanding from the comments made by the wife of the Asian officer that she and Mrs. Ramos wanted the community to heal and all the protesting to stop.

    Secondly, the funeral was for the family, primarily, and if the Ramos family asked the Mayor to attend and to speak then that's perfectly fine with me and should be with everyone else as well.

    Finally, I understand that some of the police in attendance outside refused to face the Mayor on the big screen as he spoke. That's fine - but eventually, everyone is going to have to get back to work and do their jobs - that will include involvement of the Mayor and city council. The NYPD is, after all, a civilian force under the command and control of the City and its agents/representatives.

    The point's been made - move on - hopefully the Mayor and others have learned a valuable lesson.
    Thanks a lot. Your well reasoned post killed my thread. You're right though, unless the slain officer had let his wishes be known in such an event (which is extremely unlikely) the families wishes should prevail. Now, if NYPD had some special memorial for the officers and de Blasio was requested to not attend then he should respect that.

  8. #8
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It's fine that he attended. It's unfortunate that the officers who turned their backs on him made Officer Ramos' funeral about them. If any place should be absent of that sort of behavior, it's a damn funeral.
    I don't see their actions as being any worse than any of the Ferguson protests. They had a statement they wanted to make, they made it and it was peaceful. All things were supposed to respect when those who are protesting police are doing their thing.

  9. #9
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,120
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Since the NYPD is dominated by petulant children trapped in adult bodies it's no surprise that they decided to make a statement at a funeral the family requested. If the family asked de Blasio to attend then the cops had no right to attempt to make any statement.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Skeptic Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,276

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    I would expect nothing more from the self centered pricks of the NYPD. If you aren't going to respect the wishes of the family then don't attend.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •