View Poll Results: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    57 24.89%
  • No

    104 45.41%
  • I don't know?

    44 19.21%
  • He could go but he should have kept quiet.

    24 10.48%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 147

Thread: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

  1. #71
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    The possibility exists, however, that both slain officers would have agreed with the back-turning on de Blasio.

  2. #72
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I think it's arrogant to presume that you know what the person who died would have wanted, particularly if you did not know that person well. I think his family members are the people who should be speaking for Ramos, if anybody should. Nobody else - let alone thousands of cops who didn't know him - should take that task for themselves. Surely you understand how entitled it is to use someone's funeral to make a political statement?
    If it's arrogant, why are YOU presuming yourself? It would seem you only support protest, no matter the venue, when the cause meets your agenda. Simply turning their back on the arrogant ass hat DeBlasio probably showed more respect than the Mayor deserved.

  3. #73
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,383

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    I can understanding him attending, but unless the family wanted him to speak (or any of the other politicians), then he should have just sat there. 10 minutes of speaking makes it more about him than the deceased.

  4. #74
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I think it's arrogant to presume that you know what the person who died would have wanted, particularly if you did not know that person well. I think his family members are the people who should be speaking for Ramos, if anybody should. Nobody else - let alone thousands of cops who didn't know him - should take that task for themselves. Surely you understand how entitled it is to use someone's funeral to make a political statement?

    There's a thread here about a transgender person buried by her family as a male (upon her death of course, otherwise this is a whole different story) despite having lived as a woman for a number of years. Do you agree that in that case, only the family and nobody else's wishes should be followed? Also, that instance is being made highly political which, I do think is a little sad.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,937
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    I can understanding him attending, but unless the family wanted him to speak (or any of the other politicians), then he should have just sat there. 10 minutes of speaking makes it more about him than the deceased.
    That's true, but de Blasio was between a rock and a hard place when it came to criticism of him. If he didn't attend those who are criticizing him attending would be criticizing him for not attending and paying his proper respects. Regardless of which way he went or what he did, it would be the same people defending him and the same people criticizing him.

    His best option was exactly what you stated.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  6. #76
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    There was a catastrophe in my community about 15 years ago, and people gathered the same evening for an impromptu memorial service in an arena. Bush the Elder had been in Europe, but he flew back immediately and was seated on the stage...but he never spoke a word; he was simply there. Ever since, I have admired him greatly. It was not his place to speak (even though he was a former President)...and if he had, then the service would have become about him. But he was there, and this meant the world to me and others then and now.

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    If it's arrogant, why are YOU presuming yourself?
    That's a fair point. I am assuming that the officer would not have wanted it and he may well have. I suppose I'm going by the family permitting de Blasio to speak. If the family had felt as strongly about de Blasio as the officers did, I believe they would have asked him not to attend or made a comment about it when they spoke to the press. Because they didn't do so, I believe that they were, at the very least, fine with de Blasio speaking if only for the fact that they were too overcome with grief to care. Now, if it turns out that the family support the officers' actions, then I'll change my position. Thus far, though, it seems more likely the officers' protest was not family approved and thus, in my opinion, inappropriate.

    It would seem you only support protest, no matter the venue, when the cause meets your agenda.
    I don't support the Ferguson, Garner, et al. protesters because "they meet my agenda". That's an extremely reductionist and, frankly, offensive way to refer to my support. My support of that movement is not so trivial as a political "agenda" just as the police officers' anger with de Blasio is not merely an "agenda". Nobody who's protesting or supporting protests on either "side" is doing so for such shallow reasons. I hope you get that.

  8. #78
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    That's a fair point. I am assuming that the officer would not have wanted it and he may well have. I suppose I'm going by the family permitting de Blasio to speak. If the family had felt as strongly about de Blasio as the officers did, I believe they would have asked him not to attend or made a comment about it when they spoke to the press. Because they didn't do so, I believe that they were, at the very least, fine with de Blasio speaking if only for the fact that they were too overcome with grief to care. Now, if it turns out that the family support the officers' actions, then I'll change my position. Thus far, though, it seems more likely the officers' protest was not family approved and thus, in my opinion, inappropriate.


    I don't support the Ferguson, Garner, et al. protesters because "they meet my agenda". That's an extremely reductionist and, frankly, offensive way to refer to my support. My support of that movement is not so trivial as a political "agenda" just as the police officers' anger with de Blasio is not merely an "agenda". Nobody who's protesting or supporting protests on either "side" is doing so for such shallow reasons. I hope you get that.
    Offensive way to refer to your support? You've made it very clear you're doubling your efforts to expose the "Blue Line" that exists. It is offensive to suggest Cops are out to kill people because of the color of their skin and then hide the action behind a complicit justice system. To suggest that is true and to push it is the embodiment of agenda.

  9. #79
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    The possibility exists, however, that both slain officers would have agreed with the back-turning on de Blasio.
    That is possible, and has occurred to me, but it still doesn't make it a wise thing to do.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #80
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Why would back-turning be "unwise"? What does "wisdom" have to do with this silent protest?

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •