View Poll Results: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    57 24.89%
  • No

    104 45.41%
  • I don't know?

    44 19.21%
  • He could go but he should have kept quiet.

    24 10.48%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 147

Thread: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

  1. #61
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    If one is to grant that a funeral is not the place for political statements, perhaps no politician who isn't an intimate friend of a police officer's family should ask to speak at such funerals. One has to wonder what special relationship Vice-President Biden had with this officer? What was Mayor De Blasio's non-political special relationship with this officer?

    Nothing a politician does is seen other than as political in some form or another - period.
    Stay in Canada because you understand nothing about American customs and courtesies.

  2. #62
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,182

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    The percentage of Black people stopped greatly exceeded the percentage of Black criminals so that argument doesn't work. There's also the fact that, in the United States, we have a Constitution that protects people from racial discrimination so no matter how many racist White people like yourself want Black people to be treated like criminals everywhere they go, it's not legal to do so.
    Scream racism from the rooftops all you want. Someone like you falsely calling me a racist has zero impact. You don't know me or anything about me. What remains a fact is that crime is disproportionately high in predominantly black neighbourhoods in NYC and so police presence in those communities is proportionately high. As a result, those blacks who live in predominantly black communities in NYC will have a higher incidence of contact with police patrolling the streets.

    And if the police reduced or eliminated their presence in those communities, the first people to scream about it would be the Al Sharptons and people like you claiming that the racist police aren't protecting the communities because the residents are predominantly black.

    I support law enforcement because it makes the streets and neighbourhoods safe for law abiding citizens like me and the vast majority of blacks in cities like NYC. You, on the other hand, with a giant chip on your shoulder, prefer to excuse and abet criminals all in some misguided need to cry racism at every turn.

    So go ahead - keep calling me a racist - it's all you've got.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #63
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,182

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    Stay in Canada because you understand nothing about American customs and courtesies.
    Thanks for the lesson in xenophobia. Well done.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #64
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Thanks for the lesson in xenophobia. Well done.
    I don't fear, I merely tolerate their misunderstanding of customs and courtesies and correct them when they are wrong about their implications of what they believe is proper etiquette for Americans to practice, in your case, you're wrong, as per usual. But since this is a poll thread, people are permitted to have their opinions noted. It's a good thing that forums like these allow people to use pseudonyms, so their real identities aren't made public.

  5. #65
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,182

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    I don't fear, I merely tolerate their misunderstanding of customs and courtesies and correct them when they are wrong about their implications of what they believe is proper etiquette for Americans to practice, in your case, you're wrong, as per usual. But since this is a poll thread, people are permitted to have their opinions noted. It's a good thing that forums like these allow people to use pseudonyms, so their real identities aren't made public.
    Hilarious
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,014

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    well, if he hadn't shown up for the funeral those same officers/critics would say:

    "See, this proves the major does not care one flying fig about his police officers. Even when 2 are assassinated he would rather stay away to validate the protests against the police officers rather than showing his support for the police officers and the family of the 2 slain cops".

    This is a no win situations for someone in a highly politicized function like a major is in the US. Even this office is at the mercy of the political wrangling of the conservative against liberal slug fest.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  7. #67
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Obviously he wasn't welcome. Wasn't he specifically requested to stay away from police officers funerals? Shouldn't he have respected that?

    Thoughts?
    What is up with the vote count?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #68
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Whether or not they have valid grievances is not the issue. The issue is whether or not a funeral is the appropriate place to act on those grievances.
    Sometimes people believe they need to speak for those who no longer have the chance to. You should most certainly understand that.

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    What remains a fact is that crime is disproportionately high in predominantly black neighbourhoods in NYC and so police presence in those communities is proportionately high.
    No, that's not a fact. As I stated, the amount of Black people stopped by police under stop-and-frisk was disproportionately high. The percentage of stops far exceeded the percentage of crime committed by Black people.

  10. #70
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Should de Blasio have Attended Officer Ramos Funeral?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Sometimes people believe they need to speak for those who no longer have the chance to. You should most certainly understand that.
    I think it's arrogant to presume that you know what the person who died would have wanted, particularly if you did not know that person well. I think his family members are the people who should be speaking for Ramos, if anybody should. Nobody else - let alone thousands of cops who didn't know him - should take that task for themselves. Surely you understand how entitled it is to use someone's funeral to make a political statement?

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •