View Poll Results: Has superpower status made the US too arrogant?

Voters
216. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    169 78.24%
  • No

    47 21.76%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 121

Thread: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    There is a saying that pride proceeds the fall. It is one thing for a country to aggressively pursue it's self interests. However, it is another thing when it seeks to impose a set of decadent moral values on people who do not want to take part. That is symptom of an underlying arrogance. Has the power made the US too arrogant?

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,336

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    There is a saying that pride proceeds the fall. It is one thing for a country to aggressively pursue it's self interests. However, it is another thing when it seeks to impose a set of decadent moral values on people who do not want to take part. That is symptom of an underlying arrogance. Has the power made the US too arrogant?
    Yes, in the sense that we do not explain enough, why we do, what we do. That does not mean, what we have done was bad or wrong. But to realize that countries that have not carried responsibility for international security and are barely democratic the US is so far beyond, what their societies have dealt with mentally, that they take a lot of explaining and it is easier for their elites to demonize it, so they do not have to explain why they are free riding.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,760

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    God, yes. In most developed nations, all this flag-waving and jingoism would only be acceptable at football games or Far-Right nationalist rallies.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  4. #4
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,383

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Decadent moral values. That's rich. Death to consumer choice and all that BS!
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    No, we are appropriately arrogant, as befits the rulers of the world.



    Ok seriously, yes we're a bit arrogant... but we have some reason to be. If it came to total war, no nation on the planet could hope to beat us... the best they could hope for is that we'd tire of stomping them and taking 1/1000th their casualties and decide to go home and call it a day. If it was really war-to-the-death, war until one side is utterly defeated, there is no nation with any serious hope of actually defeating us and forcing us to surrender in the same manner we did to the Axis powers in WW2.

    Look to your sig line. The strong do what they can, while the weak suffer what they must.

    The only reason we avoid direct conflict with the Russians and Chinese is because the price tag is higher than we're willing to pay, AT THIS TIME, as long as too much isn't at stake. If our national survival was at stake, that equation would change.



    The clock turns and the pendulum swings and one day we will be a has-been power. Perhaps we're on the way down now, as some think... or perhaps we're just catching our breath and will remain on top for a long time coming. Hard to say... but one of the hallmarks of the foremost power in the world is in its arrogance, self-assurance and sense of its own rightness and exceptionalism.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Yes, in the sense that we do not explain enough, why we do, what we do. That does not mean, what we have done was bad or wrong. But to realize that countries that have not carried responsibility for international security and are barely democratic the US is so far beyond, what their societies have dealt with mentally, that they take a lot of explaining and it is easier for their elites to demonize it, so they do not have to explain why they are free riding.
    The problem is that sometimes what we do is misguided, and when others try to tell us it is misguided, as in the case of the Iraq war, we do not listen.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    No, we are appropriately arrogant, as befits the rulers of the world.

    Ok seriously, yes we're a bit arrogant... but we have some reason to be. If it came to total war, no nation on the planet could hope to beat us... the best they could hope for is that we'd tire of stomping them and taking 1/1000th their casualties and decide to go home and call it a day. If it was really war-to-the-death, war until one side is utterly defeated, there is no nation with any serious hope of actually defeating us and forcing us to surrender in the same manner we did to the Axis powers in WW2.

    Look to your sig line. The strong do what they can, while the weak suffer what they must.

    The only reason we avoid direct conflict with the Russians and Chinese is because the price tag is higher than we're willing to pay, AT THIS TIME, as long as too much isn't at stake. If our national survival was at stake, that equation would change.

    The clock turns and the pendulum swings and one day we will be a has-been power. Perhaps we're on the way down now, as some think... or perhaps we're just catching our breath and will remain on top for a long time coming. Hard to say... but one of the hallmarks of the foremost power in the world is in its arrogance, self-assurance and sense of its own rightness and exceptionalism.
    Although I think you have posted a good, honest answer, I would take strong exception to one point. I disagree in strongest terms that we, or any other human has good reason to be arrogant. If one is wise, he will note that he is full in imperfection and is strongly constrained by so many factors. That is the truth. That being the case, there is no reason for any of us to be arrogant.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    the superpower status is doing to us what it has done to every other empire in history. we need to take three or four decades and just concentrate on being a country.

  9. #9
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,722

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    There is a saying that pride proceeds the fall. It is one thing for a country to aggressively pursue it's self interests. However, it is another thing when it seeks to impose a set of decadent moral values on people who do not want to take part. That is symptom of an underlying arrogance. Has the power made the US too arrogant?
    We've always been interpreted as "ugly Americans" by other countries. What it is, is this "money means power" paradigm that we have. Other people don't care about how much money you control, they're only concerned with how you act.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    We've always been interpreted as "ugly Americans" by other countries. What it is, is this "money means power" paradigm that we have. Other people don't care about how much money you control, they're only concerned with how you act.
    I would not say it's exclusively the "money means power" paradigm that we have, but that has a lot to do with it. No doubt.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •