View Poll Results: Has superpower status made the US too arrogant?

Voters
216. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    169 78.24%
  • No

    47 21.76%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 121

Thread: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

  1. #71
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,184

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    So what have we taken from Afghanistan, that is taken away and kept, other than rule by Taliban?

    What have we taken from Iraq and not returned, other than rule-by-dictatorship?


    Yes, we took lives.... it's called war... I'm asking what were we STEALING from them, as some refer to?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #72
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Worked better with Germany, Italy and Japan for some reason...
    Those societies value societal order more so than the middle east.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #73
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    There is a saying that pride proceeds the fall. It is one thing for a country to aggressively pursue it's self interests. However, it is another thing when it seeks to impose a set of decadent moral values on people who do not want to take part. That is symptom of an underlying arrogance. Has the power made the US too arrogant?
    Specifically, what 'decadent morals' are you referring to?

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Okay. What have we taken that belonged to another nation?

    That we didn't give back that is, after trying to fix it up for them and give them a shot at having a decent government?

    Not oil. Nor land. Afghanistan is now run by Afghanis, and Iraq by Iraqis, thought a fine mess they are making of it to be sure...

    Worked better with Germany, Italy and Japan for some reason...
    The point was not specifically what the US has or has not taken. The point was that right and wrong exist, and that it is possible to discern the difference between the two, although it may be difficult in some cases. Therefore it is possible to avoid the "wrong" of arrogance. That is the point.

    Although I really don't want to get into it, but since you mentioned it, there are many instances of the US taking things that belonged to another nation. For example the US took the elected leader of Iran by overthrowing him and installing the Shah. Now you may say the US bought the oil in Iran, but that cannot erase the fact that the US government took the elected leader of the government and threw him in the trash. That was the wrong of theft. And that wrong has manifested itself today as significant source of the hostility that exists between Iran and the US, which has had negative consequences not only for US and Iran, but the Middle East and the rest of the world as well.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    Specifically, what 'decadent morals' are you referring to?
    Let me put it like this, I was watching and old movie that was made before I was born that I had never seen before. Perhaps you have seen it. The name of the movie was "Good Morning Miss Dove." The truth is I cried when I saw the end of the movie because I thought it was so beautiful. Today such a movie would be considered corny. Today, movies for the most part contain naked or half naked people having sex, all types of foul language, and people exemplifying the worse qualities in human beings. These movies are part of our larger culture of filthy music, filthy magazines, and other types of filthy art that reflect our decadent moral values. We seek to impose this decadent culture on others who don't, in some cases want to take part. In arrogance we demonize them for it and say they are backwards because of it.
    Last edited by MildSteel; 01-02-15 at 09:15 PM.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    BTW, here's a link to Good Morning Miss Dove. It's a great movie, IMO.


  7. #77
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Let me put it like this, I was watching and old movie that was made before I was born that I had never seen before. Perhaps you have seen it. The name of the movie was "Good Morning Miss Dove." The truth is I cried when I saw the end of the movie because I thought it was so beautiful. Today such a movie would be considered corny. Today, movies for the most part contain naked or half naked people having sex, all types of foul language, and people exemplifying the worse qualities in human beings. These movies are part of our larger culture of filthy music, filthy magazines, and other types of filthy art that reflect our decadent moral values. We seek to impose this decadent culture on others who don't, in some cases want to take part. In arrogance we demonize them for it and say they are backwards because of it.
    What is "filthy" to you, may not be "filthy" to others.


  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    What is "filthy" to you, may not be "filthy" to others.
    That is true. The point is that we seek to impose this culture, if you can all it culture at all, on others who think that it is filthy. That is arrogance.

  9. #79
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,385

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    That is true. The point is that we seek to impose this culture, if you can all it culture at all, on others who think that it is filthy. That is arrogance.
    Who is the "we" you reference and where are these Clockwork Orange booths forcing anyone to consume this culture? I think it is arrogance to think that anyone in the US is imposing anything cultural on anyone else. Heck, people like PeteEU steal (my word) this cultural content because he does not approve that a content owner would deprive him of access on his terms.
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Who is the "we" you reference and where are these Clockwork Orange booths forcing anyone to consume this culture? I think it is arrogance to think that anyone in the US is imposing anything cultural on anyone else. Heck, people like PeteEU steal (my word) this cultural content because he does not approve that a content owner would deprive him of access on his terms.
    You do realize that the US government has various agencies that do nothing but come up with various types of propaganda that contain all types of images and reference all types of cultural symbols that deliberately suggest all types of things, right?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •