View Poll Results: Has superpower status made the US too arrogant?

Voters
216. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    169 78.24%
  • No

    47 21.76%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 121

Thread: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    And that we definitely arent.
    No we are not there yet, but the recent erosion of individual rights and implementation of things like torture as a matter of routine policy make it appear that we are going down the road that leads there.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,934
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    There is a saying that pride proceeds the fall. It is one thing for a country to aggressively pursue it's self interests. However, it is another thing when it seeks to impose a set of decadent moral values on people who do not want to take part. That is symptom of an underlying arrogance. Has the power made the US too arrogant?
    Perhaps recently. I think during the cold war we, the U.S. did what needed to be done and that included wars in Korea and Vietnam. That a show of weakness would have or a less aggressive policy would have led to more countries falling into the communist/USSR influence. We were the only power in the world during this time that could stand up to the USSR.

    I also believe after the fall of the Berlin Wall, the breakup of the USSR and the disbandment of the Warsaw Pact, for some strange reason we decided to be the Policemen of the World. That we couldn't sit back and let other countries in the world, in their regions handle things and problems with countries there themselves. We started doing things because we could, not that it was in our best interests or National Security.

    I do think we have stepped over the line in a couple, perhaps more instances. That instead of letting a country chose the form government they wanted, we have forced our form of government upon them.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    No we are not there yet, but the recent erosion of individual rights and implementation of things like torture as a matter of routine policy make it appear that we are going down the road that leads there.
    Hardly, its proof of the opposite. In very few other countries would it be a scandal to capture enemies and then 'torture' them. In the US, we make a stink about it, and then release dangerous enemies back into the wild to continue killing us, just because we are afraid of being thought of as torturers.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Hardly, its proof of the opposite.
    I disagree, for among the prominent features of a tyranny is the lack of respect for individual rights and using torture as a matter of ROUTINE policy.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    In very few other countries would it be a scandal to capture enemies and then 'torture' them.

    In the US, we make a stink about it
    Well we did it and that is among the reasons why I said that although we are not yet at the point of being a tyranny, we are on the road leading to a tyranny.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    we are afraid of being thought of as torturers.
    It is not being afraid of being thought of as torturers that is the primary concern. It's actually being a torturer that is the problem.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Yes, in every sense of the word. We need to stop trying to be a "superpower" and, as Helix mentioned earlier, just be a country. We have bridges falling apart here in our own country yet we are overseas hounding countries that want absolutely nothing to do with us and burn our flag to show as much.

    Arrogance is the destruction of greatness...and it is what has toppled every empire that has become before us.

  6. #66
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    No it does not. What is does suppose is that there is a such thing as right and wrong, and unless you want to put forward the absurd notion that somehow the recent killing of innocent children by extremists was somehow right in an abstract relative sense, I would put forward that it is self evident that that is indeed true.



    The complexity that you described is the very reason why arrogance should be avoided by the wise, because what should be evident is that it is very difficult to understand things clearly as they are. Since that is the case, it means that we are frail humans who have to function under significant restraints with regards to what we are able to do and understand. There is no good reason to be arrogant.

    There may be different ways to get to the same destination. There are many ways that one can drive from New York to Los Angeles. Depending on what one is trying to accomplish, there may be a preference for one path over the other. But in the end, it leads to the same result, getting to Los Angeles. Similarly, it is a general principle that it is right not to take what belongs to others, i. e. do not steal. However that "right" can manifest itself many ways. For example person A may accidentally leave $100 cash on the counter. Person B sees the money and decides, it is not mine so I will leave it there, and he walks away. He has done right in that he did not steal. Person C sees the money and decides it is not mine so I will not take it, but it must belong to someone who has left it there by mistake, let me try to find the true owner of the cash. He then goes and finds person A and gives him his money. Now both B and C have done "right" in that both did not steal. However person C has done a greater "right" because he found the true owner. The same is true in international relations, it is right for nations to avoid taking what belongs to other nations. There may be different ways that is manifest by a nation's actions, but the result should be doing what is right and not taking what belongs to others.


    Okay. What have we taken that belonged to another nation?


    That we didn't give back that is, after trying to fix it up for them and give them a shot at having a decent government?


    Not oil. Nor land. Afghanistan is now run by Afghanis, and Iraq by Iraqis, thought a fine mess they are making of it to be sure...


    Worked better with Germany, Italy and Japan for some reason...

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Okay. What have we taken that belonged to another nation?


    That we didn't give back that is, after trying to fix it up for them and give them a shot at having a decent government?


    Not oil. Nor land. Afghanistan is now run by Afghanis, and Iraq by Iraqis, thought a fine mess they are making of it to be sure...


    Worked better with Germany, Italy and Japan for some reason...
    How about Texas and Southern California.

  8. #68
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    How about Texas and Southern California.


    Yup, we took them from Mexico. In fact we took the whole country from the Natives.


    But let's try to stay in the 20th and 21st centuries, as being more relevant.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Yup, we took them from Mexico. In fact we took the whole country from the Natives.


    But let's try to stay in the 20th and 21st centuries, as being more relevant.
    How about Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

  10. #70
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    How about Hawaii and Puerto Rico.


    Hawaii and Puerto Rico seem reasonably content with their lot.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •