View Poll Results: Has superpower status made the US too arrogant?

Voters
216. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    169 78.24%
  • No

    47 21.76%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 121

Thread: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

  1. #51
    economically ☭ socially ☭

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    No. I do not at all.


    They arent utopian. Also why would I want to move?
    I think he's trying to imply you're a fraud because you don't live in Cuba, or something
    "...it is all the more clear what we have to accomplish at present: I am referring to ruthless criticism of all that exists,"

  2. #52
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,435

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    We've always been interpreted as "ugly Americans" by other countries. What it is, is this "money means power" paradigm that we have. Other people don't care about how much money you control, they're only concerned with how you act.
    They would like to be the controller of the money as well, if they could. And if they were, they'd act the same way.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #53
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,435

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Before answering a question, I must first ask a question, and I would LIKE at least an attempt at an honest answer...from anyone willing to try for it.

    Imagine a world where there WAS no USA. Just an empty expanse of ocean between south america and canada.

    Where, in such a world, would everyone be? Better off? Worse off? Think about it in historical context, and give it a serious go around in the old noodle.

    And then answer THIS question...is it arrogance to simply acknowledge one's perception of the truth?
    Better or worse is unanswerable. But somebody else would have stepped in to fill the void.
    Last edited by radcen; 12-28-14 at 01:19 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #54
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,435

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    There is a saying that pride proceeds the fall. It is one thing for a country to aggressively pursue it's self interests. However, it is another thing when it seeks to impose a set of decadent moral values on people who do not want to take part. That is symptom of an underlying arrogance. Has the power made the US too arrogant?
    I voted 'yes', but have some qualifications in mind. IMO, what "ruined" us (for lack of a better phrase), was when we became... for all intents and purposes... the sole superpower.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #55
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by instagramsci View Post
    I think he's trying to imply you're a fraud because you don't live in Cuba, or something
    Oh well. Could care less. I have a different opinion than him therefore I should move? Quite the pathetic argument.


  6. #56
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,189

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    What you are saying is in essence is that a strong young man cannot control his mind with his intelligence and I am sorry, but again, I disagree with you in the strongest terms. There are three classes of intelligent people. The first class person of intelligence merely hears what is truely right, immediately knows it is right, and does what is right. The second class person hears what is right, but has to see others make mistakes to understand that it is right, and after having seen others make mistakes, he himself does what is right. The third class person with intelligence hears what is truely right, sees others make mistakes, and he himself has to make the mistakes, to learn and do what is right. Now all three of them are intelligent, but of the three, the first class man is the best. Now there is another class. This class of men hears what is truely right, sees others make mistakes, he makes the same mistakes, but yet he continues to do what IS NOT right. That is a fool. The problem with arrogance is that if it is not abandoned, over time it will make one a fool. So what you described is a man of intelligence, and that is indeed to be commended, but it is not the truely exceptional, first class case. To be truely exceptional, individuals and nations, must abandon arrogance.


    Your argument presupposes that there is a singular 'right' course, that should be reasonably obvious to intelligent individuals.

    The complexity of international relations, conflicts, rivalries, threats, wars and terrorism is such that many highly educated people with high IQs disagree on how to best deal with these matters.

    Those grey areas tend to throw a monkey wrench into any assertion too absolute.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #57
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,189

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    So you conflate individual 'brain states' with the actions of a nation, very strange. In addition, you model it on the 'young buck' mentality, just one model, not always desirable, to say the least.

    Paul


    Analogy is always questionable, true, though I confess I have a fondness for it as an often poetically effective tool to communicate otherwise complex ideas.


    We could spend a lot of time talking about what power is, and who has it, and why. We could expend a lot of bandwidth discussing how tempting it is for those who have overwhelming power to use it, both in what they perceive to be the 'right' thing to do, or what they perceive to be in their own best interest. We could spend a lot of time talking about the ways in which power is real, and the ways in which it is illusion, and how most people have no historical perspective and tend to think things will always be like they are in the current decade, and fail to realize that world powers have always risen and fallen, but that some have endured centuries first.

    I felt like the analogy conveyed a lot of that in a condensed but memorable manner; I suppose it was inevitable that some wouldn't like it.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #58
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,753

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    They would like to be the controller of the money as well, if they could. And if they were, they'd act the same way.
    You mean like the Saudis?
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Tyranny is a manifestation of arrogance.
    And that we definitely arent.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Your argument presupposes that there is a singular 'right' course, that should be reasonably obvious to intelligent individuals.
    No it does not. What is does suppose is that there is a such thing as right and wrong, and unless you want to put forward the absurd notion that somehow the recent killing of innocent children by extremists was somehow right in an abstract relative sense, I would put forward that it is self evident that that is indeed true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    The complexity of international relations, conflicts, rivalries, threats, wars and terrorism is such that many highly educated people with high IQs disagree on how to best deal with these matters.

    Those grey areas tend to throw a monkey wrench into any assertion too absolute.
    The complexity that you described is the very reason why arrogance should be avoided by the wise, because what should be evident is that it is very difficult to understand things clearly as they are. Since that is the case, it means that we are frail humans who have to function under significant restraints with regards to what we are able to do and understand. There is no good reason to be arrogant.

    There may be different ways to get to the same destination. There are many ways that one can drive from New York to Los Angeles. Depending on what one is trying to accomplish, there may be a preference for one path over the other. But in the end, it leads to the same result, getting to Los Angeles. Similarly, it is a general principle that it is right not to take what belongs to others, i. e. do not steal. However that "right" can manifest itself many ways. For example person A may accidentally leave $100 cash on the counter. Person B sees the money and decides, it is not mine so I will leave it there, and he walks away. He has done right in that he did not steal. Person C sees the money and decides it is not mine so I will not take it, but it must belong to someone who has left it there by mistake, let me try to find the true owner of the cash. He then goes and finds person A and gives him his money. Now both B and C have done "right" in that both did not steal. However person C has done a greater "right" because he found the true owner. The same is true in international relations, it is right for nations to avoid taking what belongs to other nations. There may be different ways that is manifest by a nation's actions, but the result should be doing what is right and not taking what belongs to others.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •