View Poll Results: Has superpower status made the US too arrogant?

Voters
216. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    169 78.24%
  • No

    47 21.76%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 121

Thread: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

  1. #11
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,683

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    the superpower status is doing to us what it has done to every other empire in history. we need to take three or four decades and just concentrate on being a country.
    We need to keep the rich and super patriotic "ugly Americans" under control.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  2. #12
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    We need to keep the rich and super patriotic "ugly Americans" under control.
    we need a new national mission statement that involves making nation building here a top priority, as well as a complete foreign policy redesign.

  3. #13
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,683

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I would not say it's exclusively the "money means power" paradigm that we have, but that has a lot to do with it. No doubt.
    Oh, I would. It's all the power we really have. It started after our revolution when rich businessmen were traveling to the continent and creating political trouble that Jefferson for one had to deal with.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  4. #14
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,683

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    we need a new national mission statement that involves making nation building here a top priority, as well as a complete foreign policy redesign.
    Yeah; the trouble with mission statements though is that they hide motives... You are quite right however in that what we need is a new paradigm: Wall Street ain't workin' anymore. It's like ghost: you don't see it so much as you suffer the consequences of it.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Oh, I would. It's all the power we really have. It started after our revolution when rich businessmen were traveling to the continent and creating political trouble that Jefferson for one had to deal with.
    I disagree because even if we had another paradigm and we had the type of power that we have, we would still be arrogant because humans are imperfect beings who are full of flaws, and those flaws include drawing inaccurate conclusions from sensory input, making mistakes, and cheating. Therefore a wise person, thus understanding his inherent flaws, makes the necessary adjustments to avoid those pitfalls.

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; the trouble with mission statements though is that they hide motives... You are quite right however in that what we need is a new paradigm: Wall Street ain't workin' anymore. It's like ghost: you don't see it so much as you suffer the consequences of it.
    while i still think that capitalism has more potential than any other system that man has devised, i am occasionally annoyed that the casino gambling of others could destroy my livelihood for years.

  7. #17
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Although I think you have posted a good, honest answer, I would take strong exception to one point. I disagree in strongest terms that we, or any other human has good reason to be arrogant. If one is wise, he will note that he is full in imperfection and is strongly constrained by so many factors. That is the truth. That being the case, there is no reason for any of us to be arrogant.

    As an individual, I agree.


    However, some things to note: I am a middle aged man. Experience has taught me that I am mortal, and that no man is invincible, and that even the greatest of warriors is only "the greatest" for a limited period of time.


    A young man has not experienced these things yet. You can tell him... perhaps he will even acknowledge the intellectual truth of it... but the courage of his young heart trusts in the might and skill of his limbs, and in his gut he will not truly believe he can fall like any other man... until it happens.

    I know this, because I was a young warrior once.



    A nation in the midst of its strength is like a young man. Wisdom can whisper "you are mortal" in its ear, but it's heart hears only the thunderous glory of its own jets and tanks and guns.
    Last edited by Goshin; 12-27-14 at 07:05 PM.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #18
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Before answering a question, I must first ask a question, and I would LIKE at least an attempt at an honest answer...from anyone willing to try for it.


    Imagine a world where there WAS no USA. Just an empty expanse of ocean between south america and canada.


    Where, in such a world, would everyone be? Better off? Worse off? Think about it in historical context, and give it a serious go around in the old noodle.


    And then answer THIS question...is it arrogance to simply acknowledge one's perception of the truth?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    The opposite. We should be more confident with regards to our power and what we can and should do with it.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,264

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    There is a saying that pride proceeds the fall. It is one thing for a country to aggressively pursue it's self interests. However, it is another thing when it seeks to impose a set of decadent moral values on people who do not want to take part. That is symptom of an underlying arrogance. Has the power made the US too arrogant?
    Yup, we need to be knocked down a notch or two.

    We elected a leftist dumbass in 2008 and 2012 for that very purpose

    How DARE we adhere to this exceptional mindset given our horrible, horrible , horrible , horrible past ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •