View Poll Results: Has superpower status made the US too arrogant?

Voters
216. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    169 78.24%
  • No

    47 21.76%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 121

Thread: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Nicky Minaj is gross...
    That, folks was a work of art. I am a genius, if I must say so myself!!!!

    Dang, I'm good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    THE KING REIGNS SUPREME!!!!!

    BTW, I am planning to conduct a series of webinars to share my secrets of greatness. There will be a fee of course.

    Sign up now, space is limited!!!!!

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Yes, in every sense of the word. We need to stop trying to be a "superpower" and, as Helix mentioned earlier, just be a country. We have bridges falling apart here in our own country yet we are overseas hounding countries that want absolutely nothing to do with us and burn our flag to show as much.

    Arrogance is the destruction of greatness...and it is what has toppled every empire that has become before us.
    Very well said, arrogance is indeed the destruction of greatness for the arrogant will bite off more than they can chew.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    That was very eloquent, "arrogance is the destruction of greatness."

    I like that.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    To help illustrate the point and demonstrate the type of problems that can come from the US attempting to impose it's cultural values, note the following piece, which the Jerusalem Post wants to bring to the world's attention:

    Rap music unwelcome in Islamic Republic

    Iranian rap-lovers are in for a disappointment. The spokesman of the Ministry of Culture and Islamic guidance (Ershad), Hussein Noosh- Abbadi recently said that the regime sees "this kind of Western music as a problem for our traditional music."

    All public concerts have to be approved by the ministry, and requests must go through a bureaucratic process that can take a few months. "This music encourages wild behavior that could have a detrimental effect on society" Noosh- Abbadi said.

    He warned: "We don’t want to have it and we will prevent any unwanted incidents normally associated with such concerts and other events."
    The point should be clear now.

  5. #115
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    No. It is an example. And that's the trouble with you people. You are so opposite, when I actually give an example, you instinctively have to reject it, even though it is valid. That's why it's useless giving examples to people like you because they are simply "anti" people. If you say anything, they will oppose it. If you tell them, you are not stupid, they will say, "yes I am stupid, it obvious I am stupid, and to suggest than I am not stupid, is stupid, so stop being stupid by suggesting that I am not stupid." That is the way they are.

    It is imposed. As soon as you broadcast it on the electromagnetic spectrum it is imposed. It cannot be taken off in the area over which it is being broadcast. And although it is indeed true that people do not have to listen, it is also most certainly true that the broadcast is there in the empiric, observable, physical sense because of it's existence in the electromagnetic spectrum and cannot be erased. Now that is cold fact, cold science slick. So you are wrong, it is indeed imposed. Not only that, by putting such songs on a website for the radio station, that is paid for by the US government, because the website is public media that can be accessed freely by someone on the internet. Again you may say no one is forced to go there, and that is true, however, one cannot take it off the internet either, so it is indeed being imposed.



    Dang bro, you must be Einstein or something. Man, that was austute!!!!



    I just showed you the type of music that is on their website. Dang Einstein. Catch up.



    If we are exporting them, we are imposing them. Not only that, if some country seeks to ban a movie, we will do everything to make sure it is played in the country.



    Yeah right. Tell that to the Iranians and the Russians. I'm sure they will big of a kick out of that one as I did. There was one president in South America, it may have been Correa. He said the only reason why there hasn't been a coup in the US is because there is no US embassy there! ROFLMAO!!!!



    Yep, ignored that one because it does not mean anything. I knew some people that literally lived right around the corner from Ken Lay of Enron, one block away, in a cheap apartment complex. Guess what? The fact that they were that close to Ken Lay meant nothing in terms of knowing what Ken Lay did there. So it means nothing to say you live in another country.



    The US is doing all it can to impose capitalist values all over the world. No place on the face of the Earth is exempt.



    It is a symptom of the capitalist values that the US has imposed on the world.



    The fact that the TV station is playing it is again, a symptom of the capitalist values that the US has imposed on the world. I am sure you must realize that.



    I got that the US is indeed imposing values all around the world. Yep, got that one slick.



    Well, that's the "anti" stuff in you that I was talking about at first.
    What a bunch of idiotic blathering.

    imĚpose verb \im-ˈpōz\
    : to cause (something, such as a tax, fine, rule, or punishment) to affect someone or something by using your authority
    : to establish or create (something unwanted) in a forceful or harmful way
    : to force someone to accept (something or yourself)


    Impose - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    The last one is really the applicable one in this debate because just establishing something in a forceful or harmful way isn't relevant if the person can simply ignore it. To cause something to affect a person by using your authority that the person can just ignore isn't relevant either. You have to force somebody to accept it or live with it to be imposing a culture or thing on that person.

    They can turn the radio off. They can change the channel. They don't have to go to the movie. They don't have to buy MacDonald's. They don't have to look at the internet page. They can move.

    By your logic you are IMPOSING your point of view on us here at DP by posting it here. Guess what "slick" ... none of us here have to open this page and read it. Nobody is being imposed upon and it looks like I am one of the very few even bothering to read your tripe. I would say buy a dictionary but I don't think that would help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  6. #116
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    That, folks was a work of art. I am a genius, if I must say so myself!!!!

    Dang, I'm good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    THE KING REIGNS SUPREME!!!!!

    BTW, I am planning to conduct a series of webinars to share my secrets of greatness. There will be a fee of course.

    Sign up now, space is limited!!!!!
    If it is on the web you are imposing your series on us. Something imposed is never free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    What a bunch of idiotic blathering.

    imĚpose verb \im-ˈpōz\
    : to cause (something, such as a tax, fine, rule, or punishment) to affect someone or something by using your authority
    : to establish or create (something unwanted) in a forceful or harmful way
    : to force someone to accept (something or yourself)


    Impose - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    The last one is really the applicable one in this debate because just establishing something in a forceful or harmful way isn't relevant if the person can simply ignore it. To cause something to affect a person by using your authority that the person can just ignore isn't relevant either. You have to force somebody to accept it or live with it to be imposing a culture or thing on that person.

    They can turn the radio off. They can change the channel. They don't have to go to the movie. They don't have to buy MacDonald's. They don't have to look at the internet page. They can move.

    By your logic you are IMPOSING your point of view on us here at DP by posting it here. Guess what "slick" ... none of us here have to open this page and read it. Nobody is being imposed upon and it looks like I am one of the very few even bothering to read your tripe. I would say buy a dictionary but I don't think that would help.
    I posted a link that demonstrates that some of the music that the government pushes on it's radio station and website is not welcome by the authorities in areas. The US knows this well, but continues to push this type of thing on anyway. So yeah, it's an imposition. It may not be at the point of a gun or some other direct form of physical coercion. But it is imposed nonetheless.

    BTW, like the "slick" reference.

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    If it is on the web you are imposing your series on us. Something imposed is never free.
    Well sometimes you have to sell hard!!! lol

    Desperate times require desperate means!!!

  9. #119
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I posted a link that demonstrates that some of the music that the government pushes on it's radio station and website is not welcome by the authorities in areas. The US knows this well, but continues to push this type of thing on anyway. So yeah, it's an imposition. It may not be at the point of a gun or some other direct form of physical coercion. But it is imposed nonetheless.

    BTW, like the "slick" reference.
    The term imposing is an accusatory and rude reference in this case. The UFC is "imposing" it's culture of violence and disrespect on the world too just as the bad taste of France by showing Jerry Lewis movies. Impose! Impose! Impose! Since it can be applied to just about anything it really doesn't mean anything substantive thus making the argument that the USA "imposes" it's culture onto others meaningless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has the superpower status made the US too arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The term imposing is an accusatory and rude reference in this case.
    It is certainly accusatory but not rude, at least the intent is not rude. The interpretation on your end may cause you to view it as rude.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The UFC is "imposing" it's culture of violence and disrespect on the world too just as the bad taste of France by showing Jerry Lewis movies.
    To an extent that is true. However, the US does things like broadcast and support the type of music that I have discussed knowing well there are some influential leaders in other places who are clearly opposed to such music. And that is most certainly imposition because certain people do not want it, but those people are exposed to it anyway with US support.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Impose! Impose! Impose! Since it can be applied to just about anything it really doesn't mean anything substantive thus making the argument that the USA "imposes" it's culture onto others meaningless.
    No it is meaningful in this context because it helps to explain some of the hostility that is felt towards the US by some governments that have an influence from people who may have an strong aversion to some aspects of our culture.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •