View Poll Results: Separation of Education and state

Voters
674. You may not vote on this poll
  • Total separation from all levels of government. All education privatized.

    26 3.86%
  • Total separation except for cities.

    35 5.19%
  • Total separation except for counties.

    47 6.97%
  • Total separation except for cities and counties.

    51 7.57%
  • Total separation except for states.

    68 10.09%
  • Separation except for states and cities

    48 7.12%
  • Separation except for states and counties

    55 8.16%
  • Separation from federal government only.

    49 7.27%
  • No separation

    216 32.05%
  • Other (specify)

    79 11.72%
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 197

Thread: Separation of Education and State

  1. #31
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Total separation. Providing schooling is no more governing than providing boots is governing. The government should govern, and leave producing goods and services to the people.
    Dogmatism is rarely sufficient for effective societies.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Yes and no. With some matters it is federal oversight, court cases, and internal changes.
    Which of congress' enumerated powers enables it to enact laws that implement "federal oversight" of the people educating their children.

  3. #33
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    As opposed to private religious schools, which are indoctrination centers rather than education institutions?
    Well, my grandchildren go to a Christian private school and they all test out on state testing as two to three grade levels above their mates in the public schools, in science and math their scores are particularly high. But then we actually shopped for the school and keep track.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Dogmatism is rarely sufficient for effective societies.
    Which of congress' enumerated powers enables it to enact laws that control the education of the people of the states?

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Dogmatism is rarely sufficient for effective societies.
    Name calling is rarely sufficient to justify the violation of the supreme law of the land.

  6. #36
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    Actually it's federal government involvement that is dumbing down America's public schools. They have become indoctrination centers rather then education institutions.
    Please demonstrate this assertion with actual facts. Also please explain why you mean by "indoctrination", as I suspect that it's really just a political distinction based on the fact that real history and science don't back up conservative viewpoints.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  7. #37
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Which of congress' enumerated powers enables it to enact laws that implement "federal oversight" of the people educating their children.
    I know better than get into an argument with a libertarian over Constitutional authority.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #38
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Which of congress' enumerated powers enables it to enact laws that control the education of the people of the states?
    How long are you going to ask these Don Quixote-like questions as if they're actually relevant?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Well, my grandchildren go to a Christian private school and they all test out on state testing as two to three grade levels above their mates in the public schools, in science and math their scores are particularly high. But then we actually shopped for the school and keep track.
    The only reason that is true is that private schools can kick out all of the disruptive elements whereas public schools cannot. When you self-select only the best and brightest (and wealthiest), you get better test results but it's biased, not a fair representation. When everyone is playing by the same rules, let me know.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Separation of Education and State

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I know better than get into an argument with a libertarian over Constitutional authority.
    So no constitutional authority for congress to enact laws that implement "federal oversight" of the people educating their children.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •